Senton Senton doesn't run right on NIMH batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSensei

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
I bought a Senton a couple of days ago and out of the box I had issues running NIMH batteries, the throttle is jumpy at times and at other times it gets a mind of it's own and will go full throttle or turn and throttle up and down...BUT...as soon as I switched it to LIPO it runs fantastic... I want to be able to use all the batteries I have sometimes but as it is I cannot use a third of the batteries I own.

Anyone else run across this? If so, any solutions or am I stuck with LIPO only?

Also, the battery life is horrible on this thing, even tuned up! I get MAYBE 10 to 15 minutes of run time out of a 5000mah battery...

Last edited:
Sounds like the STX2 radio. What model Senton do you have and what radio?
It's the STX2 that came with the standard Senton (brushed w/NiMH battery). I've tried all of my NiMH batteries and it's not a good experience but when I slap the LiPo in it is a night and day difference (ESC jumped accordingly).

It's the STX2 that came with the standard Senton (brushed w/NiMH battery). I've tried all of my NiMH batteries and it's not a good experience but when I slap the LiPo in it is a night and day difference (ESC jumped accordingly).
I gotta think the radio is a part of the problem. You are moving the jumper on the ESC when going back and forth battery wise?

I gotta think the radio is a part of the problem. You are moving the jumper on the ESC when going back and forth battery wise?
Yes, don't wanna run a LiPo without limits ;)
If it's the radio then I guess I'll just use my LiPo's since it seems to run fine on those...maybe replace it down the road. Right now I'm starting to collect parts to upgrade to brushless eventually. Need to figure out the best spur/pinion to replace the stock 48p gears. I've no doubt those would shred ;)

Anyhow, thank you :)

I seriously doubt it's the radio, can't see how that would make a difference. What NiMh's are these? It probably can't supply enough current to the ESC. I'm guessing you're using cheapo NiMh and Lipos. Although I'm not sure any NiMh's would work properly, pretty much want to run good Lipos only.

Other possibility is a bad ESC.

I seriously doubt it's the radio, can't see how that would make a difference. What NiMh's are these? It probably can't supply enough current to the ESC. I'm guessing you're using cheapo NiMh and Lipos. Although I'm not sure any NiMh's would work properly, pretty much want to run good Lipos only.

As crappy as the STX2 is I agree with you that the radio has nothing to do with this problem.
Don't the Megas come with a nimh battery?

As much as the radio is notorious for being a problem, this described issue would be visible with the LiPo battery also if it was the radio.
Sounds like an ESC issue to me.
What happens if you leave the jumper on the LiPo mode and run the NiMh battery?

I don't know much about this ESC but assume there is not programming in the manual?

As crappy as the STX2 is I agree with you that the radio has nothing to do with this problem.
Don't the Megas come with a nimh battery?
Yes the mega comes with an 8.4v 1800mah NiMH. I have a Gambit of batteries but most of my NiMH batteries are gen zee 5000mah 7.4v. Even the factory NiMH gets wonky :(

That said, I've given up on NIMH batteries for the Senton. Now I'm trying to change my hubs to 12mm and prepare for brushless eventually ;)
As much as the radio is notorious for being a problem, this described issue would be visible with the LiPo battery also if it was the radio.
Sounds like an ESC issue to me.
What happens if you leave the jumper on the LiPo mode and run the NiMh battery?

I don't know much about this ESC but assume there is not programming in the manual?
Cannot reprogram the ESC from what I can tell...to be honest, I have tested a range of batteries, noticed that lower amperage seems to cause this, anything 35c or higher works fine, below, no go...

Yes the mega comes with an 8.4v 1800mah NiMH. I have a zee 5000mah 7.4v.

there is the problem, I have the exact car as well and it needs 8.4v on nimh battery I’m using the stock controller and no problems at all I ordered a second battery a Malesta 8.4v 7c hump 4200 nimh I’m waiting for it to arrive but the thing is it must be a 8.4v

Nim packs possibly causing too much ripple. Some ESC's just run very poorly with Nim packs. Alternatively, the ESC may have a bad power supply circuit that is borderline fail. Lipos may accommodate that ESC better, thus operational in that scenario.. I don't think it is Tx/Rx in this case. My opinion of that STX2 Tx/rx is(n). Brownout at the ESC may be dropping the Tr/Rx signal. Again, I don't think its the radio. The symptoms just don't point that direction.:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back