Senton Senton - Improve throttle response?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZW99GT

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, just picked up a Senton 6S this weekend. This is my first RC in years and first ever serious brushless rig. It's really really cool.

A friend of mine just picked up the Helion Four 10SC 4x4 and we did a little bashing yesterday. Straight out of the box, Senton on a new 6S Pluse 45C 5000mah, and him on 3S. The trucks were very comparable, and I'm happy with the Senton, aside from one thing.

The throttle response seems a little slow to me, like it takes a second to think about it before it blasts off. Is the ESC set to do some sort of ramp up, instead of giving instant power? The Helion was just a monster, super snappy, instant wheelies, and dang near just as fast on his little 60A ESC. Honestly, I think the Helion is more fun to bash with. How do I make the Senton more like that?

Thanks in advance,

Zach

Welcome to the forum man! Enjoy your rc and we are ready to help!

First off all, the 180 Esc is known to have a slow throttle response...
Its also very limited programming-wise.

But on 6s that thing should rip your friends rc appart i think.
Do your tires balloon a lot?
If yes, make sure the diffs are getting filled with thicker oil.
Wheelies should be possible on 6s standard i think...if not fill the middif up with thicker oil. Try to look what your best oil setup would be because thats personal preference...

Thanks for the reply Joker. That's good to know about the ESC, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I've only been through one battery, on stock wheels and tires, which my LHS warned would NOT be happy on 6S. I'm waiting on a set of Trenchers on 1/8 buggy wheels and also HPI Phlatlines for the street. The front tires balloon badly, and now I understand why, after reading around on the forum. When the front of the truck lifts and slightly loses traction, the center diff is getting way too much power. Which is great for stability and such, but I'm a sucker for some wheelies. I'm going to buy some 100k 300k and 500k oil and play around with it to find the sweet spot. I'll also be playing with the shocks, as they are really saggy and slow to rebound, front and rear.

That all being said, out of the box, on 6S for someone that's not exactly an expert, it was really really easy to drive, all out. My buddy must have flipped his car 20 times in as many minutes, and I only had one. Rough dirt, short grass, concrete, it was brilliant. I understand why they set it up that way out of the box.

The oils will make a big difference... just try it out...
I made a beginners info topic...just read the differentials section for info on how to setup the diffs with oil for your preference
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/beginner-starter-info.999/

Thanks for that write-up! I threw in some 200K into the center diff just to see how it performed and I could tell a big difference already. Can't wait to get a little better tire and see how it performs.

I just watched your awesome video on all the different connectors, I enjoyed that very much. I went and bashed pretty hard last night at a park / baseball field, and I'm seriously not getting all of the power out of my battery. My buddy hit LVC on a 5000mah and a 3300mah in a little over an hour. I threw my 6S 5000mah on the charger and it was over 3.75V. Almost half charge remaining. I'm running it through a single deans. There are no signs of high heat or burning/discoloration. Is it still an electical bottleneck, even without the heat or burning?

I think I'm going to go XT150 on EVERYTHING from here on out.

The video is not made by me...its vasco from aussie rc who made the video. I just linked it :)

The xt150 is really big...why not go with xt90?

I jumped the gun and purchased some expensive Pulse branded 6S batteries, which means I have to run the Senton through one connector at the moment. I understand the XT90 will do better than the deans, but will it hold up long-term since it's likely going to see more than 90A every time it's plugged up?

I should have put more thought into this and picked up a few nice pairs of 3S's.

XT90's will work fine. You won't overload these connectors unless you start running 1/5 scale motors on 8s.

Think about the math - if you were really pulling 90 amps, that 5000mah (Mili Amp Hour) batter would last 0.05 hours or about 3 minutes.

If you are running an hour on 5000mah + 3300mah = 8800mah then your average amp pull is 8.8 amps. Even if you were actually running hard for only 15 minutes and spent the rest of the time poking around (so we don't count it), that is still only about 35 amps.

XT90's will work fine. You won't overload these connectors unless you start running 1/5 scale motors on 8s.

Think about the math - if you were really pulling 90 amps, that 5000mah (Mili Amp Hour) batter would last 0.05 hours or about 3 minutes.

If you are running an hour on 5000mah + 3300mah = 8800mah then your average amp pull is 8.8 amps. Even if you were actually running hard for only 15 minutes and spent the rest of the time poking around (so we don't count it), that is still only about 35 amps.

That's an excellent breakdown, makes a ton of sense. I was thinking about this from the other direction, like what the motor, ESC and battery are capable of as a system, not what it actually sees out in the real world. Thanks for that!

That was my buddy that ran the 5000 + 3300 in an hour on 3S in a different truck. I only took about 2500mah out of my 6S 5000mah battery in an hour. That's what made me scratch my head, and wonder why it wasn't drained more. Since I'm running 2x the voltage, my battery only has to supply 1/2 the amps the produce the same HP, so that would make a big difference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back