Senton Senton Mega 4x4 : Melted Slipper Nut !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All,

I did post this on my build adventure thread , but thought I'd post this up seperately.

senton-slipper-nut.jpg

I have recently replaced a Spur Gear and I used the new spare nut supplied with the truck on the rebuild. This is what has eventuated after less than a battery pack over 2 runs ( both times truck broke , first time axle after 5 minutes, 2nd run chewed another servo. I have obviously screwed the reassembly somewhere, but I am at a loss at what point or what could possibly cause the spring to get that heated ?

Any and all ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.
I'm thinking bad bearings. I just smoked a bearing in MT8E recently in the transmission and it caused enough friction to melt the composite transmission housing. Just a thought.

I have reassembled the slipper assembly with fresh bearings , nut , slipper hub and flipped the slipper pad , so I will see how I go.

Thanks to all.

Probably bad bearings.

Before I changed mine, my slipper assembly was as hot as my motor. It didn't make sense to me because they're not touching and the radiant heat can't be that hot (160-170f!!!). I changed to the Fast Eddy bearings and the slipper plate cooled for a bit... Then it was getting super hot again.

I checked my slipper assembly and there's a decent wobble to it when spun. I checked my Fast Eddy bearings in the slipper assembly and they were wobbly and empty of grease.

I replaced the Fast Eddy bearings in the slipper assembly with High Temp Traxxas SHIELDED (not sealed) bearings and I haven't had a heat problem, with the slipper assembly, since. Sorry, I don't have the part number.

My hypothesis is that the wobble in the slipper assembly is causing heat, and causing the grease to evaporate/cook off.

The high temp shielded bearings seem to be lasting longer than the sealed bearings. Keeping grease in, and dirty out, better than rubber sealed bearings

I run at BMX parks, so the fine dust kills the bearings pretty quickly.

The heat in a slipper comes from it slipping. If it is getting hot, it is too loose, tighten it a bit and it will slip less, and run cooler. The slipper should only slip for a 1/2 second right off the line on a hard WOT launch. If it slips for 2-3 seconds, or slips every time you give it a blip of throttle, it will get hot and melt stuff...

Hmmm, I used Fast Eddy bearings as I thought they were the go to ?

It will be a shame if the quality is now lacking on them.

I have since discovered another bearing supplier, Jim Bearings that is recommended at the BookFace group a fair bit, but his bearings are sealed as well.

I'll be paying more attention to the tightness of the slipper in future.

I've replaced a couple bearings on my Senton ... I've always used Avid. (shrugs) I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3

Hmmm, I used Fast Eddy bearings as I thought they were the go to ?

It will be a shame if the quality is now lacking on them.

I have since discovered another bearing supplier, Jim Bearings that is recommended at the BookFace group a fair bit, but his bearings are sealed as well.

I'll be paying more attention to the tightness of the slipper in future.

Yeah, I would not worry about the rubber shield on the bearings. If you are melting the shield on the bearing, you have bigger problems. Like a slipper that is too loose.

Let me just say that I haven't had any problems with my slipper assembly yet. YET. Lol but I did literally go from 6 battery runs on brushed to brushless and 3s. 2600kv brushless and 27 tooth pinion. 90c 3s lipo. Makes 40mph according to my GPS on my phone lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191105-205206_Speedometer (Pro).jpg
    Screenshot_20191105-205206_Speedometer (Pro).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
  • received_456491648546292.jpeg
    received_456491648546292.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 45
I adjust my sliper from the outside sometimes using the sliperfront hub holes as half turn and a full turn indicators quite handy when im in the field
I mostly adjust by 0.25 each time
Let me just say that I haven't had any problems with my slipper assembly yet. YET. Lol but I did literally go from 6 battery runs on brushed to brushless and 3s. 2600kv brushless and 27 tooth pinion. 90c 3s lipo. Makes 40mph according to my GPS on my phone lol
Be carful with your phone my friend completly broke is phone when he fliped the car over

I adjust my sliper from the outside sometimes using the sliperfront hub holes as half turn and a full turn indicators quite handy when im in the field
I mostly adjust by 0.25 each time

Be carful with your phone my friend completly broke is phone when he fliped the car over
I set mine on the inside of the rear bumper and then pin down the body. Worked out great in case of a rollover. :)

Hi all, First post, greetings from Finland:) The slipper nut on my son´s Granite looked exactly the same. In our case there was a stone stuck between the motor and the nut, and my assumption was that the stone had both loosened and teared up the nut.

Yup i agree with him. I had the same exact issue. I am running a 3S Hw mega 10 sct 4600kv combo. with 20t and 91t from hot racing. These are pretty good gearing but as everything is metal the assembly heats up pretty fast. But like Mitch said, i did not have any issues with upgrade until i had a rock jammed up between my slipper nut and motor and pretty much unscrewed the nut. this is something to watch out for.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back