Senton Senton Mega 4x4 motor issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctccuttwood

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm new here so please be easy on me. So I'm not sure if this is a common problem but I have 2 Senton mega 4x4s. Within 2 weeks (like 4 or 5 runs) the brushed motors went out, contacted horizon and they suggested I switch to brushless because "the motors are just going to go out again" so I got the firma 85a ESC 3300kv motor combo from spektrum as he reccomended. First truck went down due to a spur gear (my fault, improper mesh) the second truck went down today on its 3rd run (first was a 5 minute test on asphalt, second was maybe 10 min on dirt, this run was maybe 8 minutes in our yard on sand and dirt) and the brand new motor was making horrible noise and the motor shaft is wobbling back and forth and there seemed to be a lot of buildup in the motor. Does anyone have any advice? I am really regretting buying these after hearing so many good things about arrma from my local hobby shop and now 2 trucks for me and my brother and 2 motor esc combos later I'm broke. I don't want to constantly have to replace parts like a motor.
Any and all advice is helpful.

Snapchat-1686209641.jpg

Pics would be helpful.
This is the best I can get. I'm unsure how to get videos to upload (it said not allowed)

Uploaded to youtube
Sorry about that, I am new to forums I've never done this before.

Last edited:
So update. Threw a spur gear in the other truck and ran it for about 6 minutes on 2S. Ran it on asphalt only and used the 3m tape around the spur on the power module as shown by @Camaroboy383 to see if it was the debris causing it. System says it can handle 3S but running about 6 minutes on asphalt caused the same issue. Shaft is wobbling back and forth. This truck has had a total of 2 runs one for 2 minutes on asphalt when it stripped a spur and then just now today when the motor did this but it hasnt seen anything but asphalt on this motor.

Bearing is fiddlesticked in that first picture for sure. Get a warranty on that poop. Looks like those spektrum firma motors are hot garbage based on the number of posts I see on here about those bearings.

Try replacing the bearing but definitely try a warranty claim.

I would look into upgrading to 0.8mod pinion and the 3S slipper clutch assembly. That was one of our first upgrades on our granite mega.

So this is the second motor that tossed a end bearing? 🤔
Yup and I was super careful on the second and 3rd gear meshes. The first one stripped a spur pretty quickly so I'm guessing the motor didnt have time to mess up. lol but I checked everything and it was fine when I put the new spur in and meshed it.
.Bearing is fiddlesticked in that first picture for sure. Get a warranty on that poop. Looks like those spektrum firma motors are hot garbage based on the number of posts I see on here about those bearings.

Try replacing the bearing but definitely try a warranty claim.

I would look into upgrading to 0.8mod pinion and the 3S slipper clutch assembly. That was one of our first upgrades on our granite mega.
I plan to try for a warranty first before anything. I was thinking about doing the 3S spur and pinion. Was also thinking of going metal spur, any experience with the metal spur gears?

Yup and I was super careful on the second and 3rd gear meshes.

I plan to try for a warranty first before anything. I was thinking about doing the 3S spur and pinion. Was also thinking of going metal spur, any experience with the metal spur gears?
I like mine plastic because I want it to fail before it damages my motor or breaks something else.

I like mine plastic because I want it to fail before it damages my motor or breaks something else.
Very fair point, plastic it will be. Got a cheapo $18 motor of Amazon gunna give it a run and see if it has similar problems so I can see If for some reason it's the truck or me and not the motors.

They are honestly disposable but great to keep you running. I put some gorilla tape over the rear cap because the rear bearing is exposed which potentially will make them easier to replace but a little prevention goes a long way. Honestly no complaints. For half the price of an arrma motor they work good.

I would never buy an ESC off banggood though.

This is the way. Keep bashing, bruvva.
But seriously try and get a warranty on those firma motors. That's not great quality control IMO.
Thanks man! Hopefully they will warranty us otherwise that's like $110 down the drain. But it is what it is. Happy bashing bro!

Update:
Got the $18 motor in, gears all meshed up, and been running it for about 20 minutes so far with no issues. 🤷‍♂️

Update #2: Spoke with horizon, they sent out 2 more expensive blx motors as a replacement since the 3300kv ones were on backorder.
Ran the $18 motor for about an hour and a half last night with no issues.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back