Senton Senton Upgrade Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAWGGONE78

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Senton 6s
I'm looking to upgrade wheels and tires on my senton. Trying to avoid changing pinion gear. I read in an earlier thread that these would work with changing pinion gear. Has anyone tried?
20200122_231823.jpg

I'm looking to upgrade wheels and tires on my senton. Trying to avoid changing pinion gear. I read in an earlier thread that these would work with changing pinion gear. Has anyone tried?View attachment 62058
Those are going to be bigger than stock and require a pinion change. You want the SC version.

305B29EB-FEFD-4738-9AC5-76F23197A780.jpeg

The stock pinion is 17t so you shouldn't have to change it... unless you've already changed it, then you'd wanna change it back. Bigger wheels goes with smaller pinion from what I've gathered...

Why would a pinion change be "needed" to run a slightly larger taller?

Larger tires changes your overall gearing ratio. Gearing ratio gives you a comfortable "range" for the motor/transmission combination to operate at peak efficiency. Not a big deal for specific uses like top speed runs but for all around best performance you want to keep the final ratio as close to stock as possible to keep the motor/esc/battery from being overworked.

From what I see the OE wheels and tires are 104mm and Duratrax 114mm. So adding 10mm I would have to change pinion gear you think. I'm new to this just trying to get the right combination.

From what I see the OE wheels and tires are 104mm and Duratrax 114mm. So adding 10mm I would have to change pinion gear you think. I'm new to this just trying to get the right combination.
Try them on stock, if after you run a pack through it your motor and esc are cooking you'll need to change the gearing. The Senton Mega (brushed version) comes with a 17 tooth pinion stock. You can go down to a 14 or 15 tooth from there without changing to an adjustable motor mount...if you wanna go smaller you'll have to change the motor mount as well but I imagine a 14t pinion would suffice and TBH the 17 probably will be fine but it will likely run warmer than it does with smaller tires because you are changing the size (therefore the weight) of your tires...

You are going to see two effects here:

1 - Heat, buyou can add a fan to the motor to help.

2 - Cogging is a possibility when adding larger and heavier tires.

Then you also have an issue with clearing the body. Larger tires on a SC truck is different than a buggy or MT where the wheels are outside the body.

Just put some 4.6 inch tires, didn't have to trim the body, did change to 14t pinion...does look and drive awesomely! I got some cheap Garbo wheels (tires are real grippy though) to test and they've worked out pretty well. I was planning on buying some "better" tires and wheels but so far these cheapo tires are working out (glued them as soon as I got them) on 3s ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DU4NMPM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Attachments

• 1579987308988726735620.jpg
    1579987308988726735620.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 73
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back