Servo and BEC question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxh_guerbear

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
My Big Rock Servo finally failed and I've been doing some digging here to figure out the best route to go. It seems the Amazon DS3225 is the way to go, however, I read another forum post and got the idea that DS3235 would be even better. However, I jumped the gun and it looks like I would need an external BEC to run it. I'm new to all the nitty gritty of RC electrics and from what I understand, the external BEC has to do with the voltage the ESC can handle.

The BEC voltage on the stock ESC is 6V and the operating range of the DS3235 is 4.8-6.8V so I could see the need for an external BEC however, it seems that the range for the DS3225 is also the same 4.8-6.8V but from what I've gathered on past posts, an external BEC is not needed for that 25kg model.

I think I'm just a little lost here. Can someone please guide me?

TIA

You are incorrect.
No external BEC required.
Get the DS3235 35 kg servo and matching 25Spline Servo Saver and be done with it. I run 8 of these in my 6s rigs. Great for $34. each. AMZ.
You are over thinking this. You were advised with misinformation some where.:unsure:
After installing, absolutely make sure your Steering Endpoints are setup correctly!!!
Or you will ruin the servo, any servo.

You are incorrect.
No external BEC required.
Get the DS3235 35 kg servo and matching 25Spline Servo Saver and be done with it. I run 8 of these in my 6s rigs. Great for $34. each. AMZ.
You are over thinking this. You were advised with misinformation some where.:unsure:
After installing, absolutely make sure your Steering Endpoints are setup correctly!!!
Or you will ruin the servo, any servo.
Thank you so much! That was the answer I was hoping to hear since I already have the D3235 and the Kimbrough Servo Saver kit. I will be installing everything tonight!

Perfect. You are all setup there.
Bash On.:cool:

1DA9DFD4-D2F2-474C-BEBE-8349344F49E8.jpeg

As soon as my rear shock arrives hahaha. Can’t wait to get back out there.

You already received the correct advice.

When I got into crawlers, I had to investigate this issue. External becs in bashers usually isn't needed.....

Yes, you get more whammy out of your servo the more voltage your esc or external becs puts out, but it's hardly ever an issue with bashers.

A vehicle that is going 10 mph or more ( let alone 20 ,30 or more) doesn't need crazy amounts of power to turn the wheels.

A crawler may be stalled on a downward slope and the whole weight of the rig may be pushing against what the servo is trying to do.

That's why this is a very much talked about issue with crawlers

It helped me understand....

I know this wasn't really your question, but we are all learning....

Go ahead with what ya got and ENJOY
Good reason for a backup rig🏁🏁🏁

Backup rigs are a lifesaver

Last edited:
Funny you say that. I’m about to pull the trigger on a TA Reflex 14b. I need something a little smaller for my primary bashing grounds The 1/10 is fun there but I used my buddy’s small rig and I felt like it was a little more fun at this spot.

View attachment 210746
Don’t stop there, if you’re like most just the thought of a new truck is hard to forget 😎😎😎. That looks like a great place to play, I’m very jealous.

You already received the correct advice.

When I got into crawlers, I had to investigate this issue. External becs in bashers usually isn't needed.....

Yes, you get more whammy out of your servo the more voltage your esc or external becs puts out, but it's hardly ever an issue with bashers.

A vehicle that is going 10 mph or more ( let alone 20 ,30 or more) doesn't need crazy amounts of power to turn the wheels.

A crawler may be stalled on a downward slope and the whole weight of the rig may be pushing against what the servo is trying to do.

That's why this is a very much talked about issue with crawlers

It helped me understand....

I know this wasn't really your question, but we are all learning....

Go ahead with what ya got and ENJOY

Backup rigs are a lifesaver
Thank you for the insight!
Don’t stop there, if you’re like most just the thought of a new truck is hard to forget 😎😎😎. That looks like a great place to play, I’m very jealous.

That place is part of the reason I got an RC vehicle again. It's a 5min drive from my apt, on my days off it's closed and I hop the fence. Pure uninterrupted bashing!

That place is part of the reason I got an RC vehicle again. It's a 5min drive from my apt, on my days off it's closed and I hop the fence. Pure uninterrupted bashing!

I would do the same if I had a spot like that. Actually, be fun to run the Typhon TLR or the Losi Tenacity DB Pro at a spot like that.....hell my Mad Van VE would do well there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back