Notorious Servo and esc dead after snow bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Took out my brand new notorious v5 today for its second only run. About 5 inches of snow in a paved lot and it was ripping for about 8 minutes before no steering and no throttle. The steering servo was glitching and wouldn’t turn. I’m guessing this Arrma stuff isn’t so waterproof after all. Got it home and blew it al out with a compressor and let it dry. Fired it back up and the esc works and throttle is good but steering servo is dead completely. Should I get a new esc and servo or just a servo? What is the best one I can get for this truck. Thanks guys for any help. I appreciate it.

the arrma stock servos are trash it might just be the servo is just shot the waterproof thing means if like a few drops of water land on it it won't die but if you drive the car submerged in water the esc is going to die get what you can afford if it floats your boat to replace the electronics then do that i need to get a new servo for my talion but due to a budget for my car (why i don't have the xmaxx or outcast 8s) i am planning to wait until it breaks but that won't be long also after you take the car out the bearings can clog up on you so try and get all the bearings out even the ones in the motor and put them in...(me realizing that i don't have any idea what you put them into) look up on youtube how to clean rc car bearings bc idk

Took out my brand new notorious v5 today for its second only run. About 5 inches of snow in a paved lot and it was ripping for about 8 minutes before no steering and no throttle. The steering servo was glitching and wouldn’t turn. I’m guessing this Arrma stuff isn’t so waterproof after all. Got it home and blew it al out with a compressor and let it dry. Fired it back up and the esc works and throttle is good but steering servo is dead completely. Should I get a new esc and servo or just a servo? What is the best one I can get for this truck. Thanks guys for any help. I appreciate it.
That ESC was fine. Getting the best one you can get is not going to change the fact that the wet is always going to get the best of them. All the electrics.
Being "not so waterproof at all" is the the operative Term here.
User error bricked your stuff. Search around AF more, and decide how you want to best run these rigs. Any brand rig. They are all this way.
These are toys that are barely capable of a splash here and there. Nothing new. Yu are not the first and wont be the last to experience this.
If it makes you feel any better. 🤷‍♂️

You could try giving them some time to dry out more. I had a receiver that got wet and didnt work after a quick 1 day dry. I put it on the shelf and forgot about for 3 weeks. Having nothing to do one day I decide to try it and lo and behold it works fine.

You could try giving them some time to dry out more. I had a receiver that got wet and didnt work after a quick 1 day dry. I put it on the shelf and forgot about for 3 weeks. Having nothing to do one day I decide to try it and lo and behold it works fine.
The only way to dry out any Rx is to remove it completely and remove the case from the IC board immediately. Dry out the Rx box also. They are not sealed well at all. Letting it sit to dry while wet and the IC board will corrode. That Rx has been compromised. Don't be surprised if it gets glitchy and craps out down the road. Hopefully not losing control or range and breaking the rig in the process. Been there. Who knows when. But it will.
Personally WP you stuff. there are threads how to do this. Still no guaranty water wont ruin stuff.
Then, let your wallet and better judgement decide if you want to run in the wet.

Edit:
Letting all electrics and even BB's AIR dry by sitting just creates corrosion. Un-reversible damage to electrics. Water needs to be displaced or removed completely.
These are not like washed clothes that you let air dry on your clothes line. :LOL: Silly logic.
Water simply needs be removed completely from electrics immediately. Its the moisture that you DON'T see that bricks these rigs from corrosion and rust.

The esc is up and working. I sprayed everything with corrosion X so hopefully it will keep it alive. Definitely need a steering servo, this one is spent. I’ve been running RC cars since 84 and these things are awesome. Just thought the Arrma commercial with them rippin thru that snow wasn’t false advertising lololol. Well that’s how it goes. Off to search for a replacement servo. If anyone has a recommendation I’m all ears. Thanks for the insight gents.
Edit:
Letting all electrics and even BB's AIR dry by sitting just creates corrosion.
These are not like washed clothes that you let air dry on your clothes line. :LOL: Silly.
Water must be removed completely from electrics immediately. Its the moisture that you DON'T see that bricks these rigs from corrosion and rust.
I have a snap on 80 gallon air compressor to get the water out of everything with compressed air. Then I spray everything with corrosion X so no worries about that. This notorious broke down DURING my run in the snow for the first time and only in 8 minutes. I’ve been doing RC since 84. No worries 😉

I have a Snapoff air compressor. I don't feel it's 100% the answer. Whether it's 3 gallon or a 1,000 gal tank. They all do the same thing. 🤷‍♂️ Compressors are never foolproof ( definitely serve a purpose though) , can work against you and push water you cant see deeper into electrics. Servos and all.
I tried C-X. I think it sucks. Can work for others I guess. Just for me is not the answer. Conformal coating done right may give you a slim fighting chance in the wet if that. But I digress.

I use a DS3235 35Kg servo. I wouldn't use less than 35kg in any offroad 1/8 rig.

Amazon.com: ZOSKAY 35kg high Torque Coreless Motor servo Metal Gear Digital and Stainless Steel Gear servo arduino servo for Robotic DIY,RC car (Control Angle 180°): Toys & Games
I have been into RC for some time myself and never put it down for 30+ years. Not with toy grade RC's either.
Electrics and water don't mix.
Sure its fun. Go for it. Play hard, pay harder. Repeat.
Enjoy. :cool:

Its prolly not even from the water. We really cant say as many new rc's in the dry out of the box the servo dies almost immediately. Its winter, and a lot of people buy new rigs in the wet months and water gets blamed for dead electronics. But these posts are year round. Do the math lol

Just for the OP lol, I as well as most on here have submerged a ton of rigs and all different hardware. Its not gonna fry lol. Could it, sure. But what is my experience out of tons of vehicles and racing for years at tracks. So knowing hundreds of vehicles hands on. Overall your fine. If something dies its a fluke and replace it and move on. May have been water, but just as likely wasn't.

Last edited:
^^^ I respectfully beg to differ. 🤷‍♂️
Have you ever taken a supposed WP servo apart before and repaired one and conformal coated one. If so than you answered the question well enough.

^^^ I respectfully beg to differ. 🤷‍♂️
Really, have you submerged a lot of vehicles. The ones that you have hands on experience that said waterproof. What died right before your eyes. lol

Experiences can differ, but not by a lot. I cant count how many ive seen and not a thing died lol. Have I speculated water ruined a electronic before sure.

The esc is up and working. I sprayed everything with corrosion X so hopefully it will keep it alive. Definitely need a steering servo, this one is spent. I’ve been running RC cars since 84 and these things are awesome. Just thought the Arrma commercial with them rippin thru that snow wasn’t false advertising lololol. Well that’s how it goes. Off to search for a replacement servo. If anyone has a recommendation I’m all ears. Thanks for the insight gents.

I have a snap on 80 gallon air compressor to get the water out of everything with compressed air. Then I spray everything with corrosion X so no worries about that. This notorious broke down DURING my run in the snow for the first time and only in 8 minutes. I’ve been doing RC since 84. No worries 😉
contact HorizonHobby they will send you a new servo.

When I finally dipped my noto's rx prolly 6 or 8 months ago cause I was bored lol. It had all kinds of white crusties on it. Worked fine. Stuff dies sometimes. From water. From not water lol.

I have 22 rigs here. Only to say I have spent much on servos. YES the stockers are garbage IMHO. We can agree on this.
I am not a fair weather RC'er by any means. My Crawlers go through streams, thick mud, snow blizzards and you name it. This how I've been testing servos out and clearly see their WP limits etc. No matter the brand or how much you pay. Much is user error and if you use them in or around water. I hve bins full of bricked servos for spare parts here. Just my thoughts. I did the math. LOL AF is inundated with bricked electrics and questions why, etc. Many differt experiences with one common denominator recently. Wet running. The states has a lot of wet regions right now. Yes its fun also.
Just my logic. Many agree. :cool: Many don't and are jilted with supposed WP stuff that isn't.

I have 22 rigs here. Only to say I have spent much on servos. YES the stockers are garbage IMHO. We can agree on this.
I am not a fair weather RC'er by any means. My Crawlers go through streams, thick mud, snow blizzards and you name it. This how I've been testing servos out and clearly see their WP limits etc. No matter the brand or how much you pay. Much is user error and if you use them in or around water. I hve bins full of bricked servos for spare parts here. Just my thoughts. I did the math. LOL AF is inundated with bricked electrics and questions why, etc. Many differt experiences with one common denominator recently. Wet running. The states has a lot of wet regions right now. Yes its fun also.
Just my logic. Many agree. :cool: Many don't and are jilted with supposed WP stuff that isn't.
And with all that I actually do agree. All I mean and im sure you understand is just because it got a little or a lot wet doesn't mean water killed it. And thats all i'm meaning to say. Snow bashing personally Ive done a lot, 37 years in the north. Not but a few electrics dead from water, and thats early 2000s through 2010 nitros lol. So way crappier servos.

If you run in the water a lot as you do your going to encounter more dead electrics. But that's submerging. Most that complain of a dead servo snow bashed for a battery, or splashed in a few puddles. I just don't want people to get the wrong impression. Under normal non fully submerged conditions its not a super common thing.

Speaking to the AF thing. Bad reviews compared to good reviews. Which do you see more. When do people come to a forum. When crap dies. I know a ton of arrma people that have never used the forum. But if they are stumped they might.

^^^ agree. 50% of the time the issue can go either way. I WP my crawler rigs ( all electrics, more common with the crawler crowd) and have little issues if any as of late. Much prep is done for the wet. Running in the wet versus submerging them is subjective. When hot electrics touch water, heat exchange pulls moisture into them. It only takes a drop of water to ruin them. I just find it strange that many don't see that risk. Luck is part of it. Some bash super wet and have no immediate issues. I get it. The odds just go against you at some point from experience.

(11) 7 Ways You're Destroying Your R/C Car - YouTube

Last edited:
Water Douse GIF

Back