Kraton Servo broken already?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omigosh

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Third time out with my new Kraton and I think I broke the steering servo. If I pick the front end up it will steer, but with wheels on the ground the wheels won't turn and the servo makes weird grinding noise. Is the servo shot, or is there something I can fix?

Third time out with my new Kraton and I think I broke the steering servo. If I pick the front end up it will steer, but with wheels on the ground the wheels won't turn and the servo makes weird grinding noise. Is the servo shot, or is there something I can fix?
My OEM servo in my outcast didn't even make it out of the box. I installed RPM arms, chassis brace, different tires, receiver to work with my radio, took it out to my parking lot, pulled the throttle, tried to turn around, grind grind grind... done. It sounded gritty on my bench when I was setting the EPA's on my radio. I had a feeling it wouldn't last long, but didn't expect it to die before my first turn.

What's weird is I tore it apart and don't see any stripped gears, so I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I'll look at it again when I'm less annoyed.

I just replaced it with a savox sw-1210sg. I had to add 4 washers under each screw to get it high enough to not touch the chassis. It's kind of annoying to remove the stock one as the wire is clipped under the esc tray, so you have to pull it and the servo out completely to replace it.

The stock horn was the same spline as savox, so that worked out at least.

Yep, the stock servo is not as good as it should be. I guess it's one of the things that keeps this platform in the semi affordable range. I also use the Savox 1210SG, and have been using it flawlessly for over a year. Happened to me really early too. There are some other cheaper options, if you look through the Kraton Servo swap thread. Or buy a stocker off ebay, but you'll have the same problem. I actually ordered a stocker before I realized it was a junk servo to start. I ended up putting git a 1/10 buggy I have and it's awesome. Just not tough enough for a 1/8 basher.

Wow, first time out! I guess I was lucky! Lol! I'm new to this RC stuff so I'd like to replace it with a plug and play servo.

Did you have to use washers with the Savox?

You've got a few options as far as servos. I'll start with the least expensive and go up from there....

- sounds like you broke a tooth or two off of one of the brass gears inside. Most of the time it's the thin large gear that strips a tooth. If this is the case, you can open the stock unit up and rotate the broken tooth gear 180 degrees from where it is now. This will keep the broken teeth out of the rotational range that the servo needs to operate normally.

- you can spend $15 on the gear rebuild kit
Part#: AR390149 Looks intimidating but is easy to do. Take pictures as soon as you open the case in the event you can't figure out where everything goes back in place

- buy a replacement stock servo from one of the RC chop shops on eBay $20
Part#: AR390139

- invest in a high quality servo that you don't need to worry too much with such as the Savox 1210mg as mentioned above

My servo lasted me about 6 runs.. which I should consider myself lucky haha. I run a savox and no problems so far

My Kraton is less than a week old and I am still on the stock servo, lol. I actually went to the LHS to buy one and he had nothing that was appropriate. I did manage to break the joint where the end of the front sway bar attaches. It split right in half when I over tightened the set screw. Oops :(

I'm using the Serpent carbon fiber servo spacer set. It includes 4 different sizes of thickness.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/serpent-servo-spacer-set-8-ser600500/p218360

Here are some more servo spacer choices:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=servo+spacer

Although my aftermarket servos in my V3 Talion & Kraton are standard height, I'm using these spacers to replace the stock rubber grommets. The rubber grommets are way too flexible and the reason the servos move in the mount/tray. These solid servo spacers can be used to not only get your servo at the correct height, but also stop any unwanted servo movement. My servos do not move/flex anymore in the servo mount tray and by using these, I was pleasantly surprised that I did not need to get an aftermarket GKA/Voltage Hobbies/Hot Racing servo mount.

I'm using this Turnigy "waterproof" servo. Definite improvement from stock.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...al-servo-23kg-0-12sec-75g.html?___store=en_us

Do you know if anyone makes something like this with a 5mm ID?
I don't believe there are any spacer sets in 5mm I.D., especially in aluminum. However, you may have to use some 5mm washers. Not sure if any of these will work for you:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=5x8+washer+shim+spacer
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=5x10+washer+spacer
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-rc-5x11.5x0.2mm-differential-gear-washer-10-ptk-h-5912/p188800
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=5x14+washer+shim+spacer

Well not sure your age or background but I’m well past 30 and started with a tamiya clod buster and kyosho ultima st. If either hit 10-15mph I’d be surprised. There was no jumping them. If you did it’d be super low to the ground. My clod buster would just barely wheelie if I hit the bump coming into my driveway just right. That’s what I started with. So today’s rc are all entirely mental. Jumping an rc at a bmx track getting way higher than 10 feet, wheelieing a full parking lot, hitting 66mph, double backflips, standing backflips. All this is incredible to me. I understand that we kind of take current tech for granted but I have profound respect for where we’ve come from. I don’t mean to sound like a bickering old man if I do. Just saying everything these trucks do amazes me!

Do you know if anyone makes something like this with a 5mm ID?

My local Tru-Value Hardware store has a bunch of specialty pieces in the aisle with all the screws and bolts. There are a ton of spacer options in there. From nylon, aluminum, or steel.

Just replaced my servo with the Savox 1210 using the Hot Racing servo mount. First time out, I was very disappointed, it took a football field to turn and the wheels wouldn't re-center. After some troubleshooting I figured out the servo saver was activating way too soon. Tightened it up and now I am VERY happy! Very strong and quick steering! Learning a lot as I go!

Thanks for all the info!

NICE! I knew there had to be a good reason, cause that is a solid servo.

tip: when you are in the air and doing a back flip, you will need the throttle slammed to get the rotation. If the front tires slam to one side or the other, during the back flip, the servo saver may be a bit loose. This is when I know to tighten it down.

Just replaced my servo with the Savox 1210 using the Hot Racing servo mount. First time out, I was very disappointed, it took a football field to turn and the wheels wouldn't re-center. After some troubleshooting I figured out the servo saver was activating way too soon. Tightened it up and now I am VERY happy! Very strong and quick steering! Learning a lot as I go!

Thanks for all the info!
I had the same issue when I installed my first alternate servo when the OEM one died on me while setting it up on my bench. The servo saver really likes to loosen on these arrma trucks. I tightened it all the way up, smeared a good amount of threadlock paste right under the nut, then backed the nut off into the threadlock. Seems to be holding now.

Well, got the servo straightened out, toe set correctly, tightened the pillow balls, ran it for 5 minutes and lost a damn wheel nut! Looks like this hobby is going to be more work than I anticipated! LoL!

Well, got the servo straightened out, toe set correctly, tightened the pillow balls, ran it for 5 minutes and lost a damn wheel nut! Looks like this hobby is going to be more work than I anticipated! LoL!

Tighten them every pack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back