Servo Comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock BLX185 ESC BEC is set to 6V, it can't be adjusted any higher. Other ESC's are adjustable.
External BEC only makes sense if you have a need for a higher voltage/current setting. Some high powered servos run better on 7.4V to achieve the same that other cheaper 6V servos can accomplish. Setting it to 5V again makes little sense.
Your call to make which route to take, name-brand or cheapo. You want to stay with a 25kg class servo or higher, stock is 15kg.
You don't gain much going above 25kg unless you are running on very high friction surfaces and low speed aka crawler. As soon as you go above 5mph all the strength is somewhat useless imho.

Yes, but you need the Castle Link to adjust the BEC.
Thanks, I have one.
Stock BLX185 ESC BEC is set to 6V, it can't be adjusted any higher. Other ESC's are adjustable.
External BEC only makes sense if you have a need for a higher voltage/current setting. Some high powered servos run better on 7.4V to achieve the same that other cheaper 6V servos can accomplish. Setting it to 5V again makes little sense.
My application for the BEC, was that I was reading while the factory ESC can supply adequate voltage- it's the current draw that was a possible issue.

Protek 370TBL can run up to 7.4V for it's max potential. My thought was that, since the CC-BEC can be programmed anyway, I might as well go max for full potential since it's there.

The 5V thing, was something apparently Castle Creations sets as the factory voltage on that particular BEC. Luckily for me I already had the Castle Link on hand.

I've seen a bunch of posts lately about replacement servos for the 6s trucks. The big 3 are:
I figured I would list the specs for each.

Jx speed @6v: 0.14
Savox speed @6v: 0.15
Power HD speed @6v: 0.11

Jx torque @6v: 37.5kg
Savox torque@6v: 20kg
PowerHD torque @6v: 25kg

Jx speed @7.4v: 0.12
Savox speed @7.4v: 0.13
PowerHD speed @7.4v: N/A

Jx torque @7.4v: 46.9kg
Savox [email protected]: 32kg
PowerHD torque @7.4v: N/A

It's worth noting that the Jx servo is not listed as waterproof.

Approximate cost:
Savox: $84
Jx: $55
PowerHD: $63

Based on specs, the PowerHD is the fastest at 6v. The Jx is clearly the strongest. Once you go to 7.4 volts, the Jx had the superior spes for both. It is also the cheapest of the 3. Again, not waterproof and that's could be an issue.

The last thing to consider is reliability. I can only speak to the many Savox servos that I own. I've had 3 fail and all of the failures were caused by the ESC. I went through my LHS for warranty and every one was replaced. I've never stripped gears in one. The Jx I own is only a month or so old. I can't speak to it's durability just yet and I know that if it fails I wont have any recourse. These are things that need to be taken into consideration.

Here are my final thoughts. The Savox is a great, reliable servo with decent specs and a great warranty. However, it is the most expensive servo of the 3 and only beats the PowerHD when run on 7.4v. it's always been my "go to" servo in the 6s trucks but I am going to start using other brand. In this case it will be the Jx because it is the cheapest and pretty much had the best specs of them all. I may need to waterproof it though and that can be a turn off for some.

Hope this helps you guys ???
I'm case anyone was wondering the stats on the stock ADS-15 are as follows:

Speed: 0.16 @6v, 0.14 @7.4
Torque: 14kg @6v, 15kg @7.4
Thanks for this bro ? I just put the savox 1230 with glitch buster in my notorious 6s... I absolutely love it... Great speed great strength... Need to waterproof it... Haven't done that yet.. What do you use bam?? Way better than that damn ecopower 110 I wasted 40 bucks on lol

Thanks for this bro ? I just put the savox 1230 with glitch buster in my notorious 6s... I absolutely love it... Great speed great strength... Need to waterproof it... Haven't done that yet.. What do you use bam?? Way better than that damn ecopower 110 I wasted 40 bucks on lol
I use the Savox 1210SG but moving forward I will use the much cheaper Amazon servos.

I use the Savox 1210SG but moving forward I will use the much cheaper Amazon servos.
I’ll let you know how it goes, savox 1211sg went in the Senton few weeks ago and the ds 25kg red is going in the granite tomorrow. I usually buy top tier parts and buy once cry once, but these two $300 trucks are getting expensive fast!

I’ll let you know how it goes, savox 1211sg went in the Senton few weeks ago and the ds 25kg red is going in the granite tomorrow. I usually buy top tier parts and buy once cry once, but these two $300 trucks are getting expensive fast!
I know how that goes, my slash would probably benefit most from a new servo. But for some reason I can't even bring myself to buy a cheap servo for it.

Hey guys, I have a Protek 370TBL on the way for my Outcast. In preparation, I was going to pre-install a CC BEC. Upon plugging it to the computer, I noticed the factory setting was only 5 Volts. The servo is rated for up to 7.4V, would it be best to just program the bec at the 7.4?

I have the Tactic system and blx185
Hi mate, can i ask which model it is you have, the link sends me to a list of becs but not a specific one.

A few things with the setup to keep in mind, always secure your connections, you don't want to lose control of the steering. When you run higher voltages you'll get better response from your servos and more torque, but be aware of your endpoint adjustments, you will quickly destroy a servo if you are overdriving it.

The question I have above relates to current, if you have a servo that is capable of pulling a higher current than the bec is rated for, you may find you brown out your system. This is actually one of the advantages of a bec, you can use a separate battery to ensure your power supply doesn't dip under extreme load from the motor on the main battery. That is one of the main reasons for a brown out, which can cause your radio to glitch and even reset while driving at high speed or under heavy loads.

The warning is that if your bec is only rated for a few amps and your servo can pull say 5 amps, you may still find you have some glitching, or loss of control.

The Tactic radio can run 7.4v no worries. You will love the performance of running 7.4v I love to drive the cars that run higher voltages.

Enjoy

@prints the castle creations 10 amp bec. The one with a light blue shrink wrap on it everyone uses.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back