Servo Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uni-Verse

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Ok I just installed a brand new Metal Gear Steering Servo and Its seems like it loosens the stock 25T Pinion Gear, so how can I fix this and its a stock granite mega (other than the new steering servo I installed)

Ok I just installed a brand new Metal Gear Steering Servo and Its seems like it loosens the stock 25T Pinion Gear, so how can I fix this and its a stock granite mega (other than the new steering servo I installed)

You mean probably the 25t Arrma servo horn?

Does it come off, or are it's teeth already grinded?

When I tighten the screw it works for like 5 seconds then the 25t servo horn is loose again i guess thats grinding.

That means a new horn unfortunately :(

You can see that for yourself by looking inside the part, which is put over the servo axis.

Because of the power the servo horn needs to be tightened correctly. That is very important. It has to be shoved down all the way! The contact surfaces should be as wide as possible.

Sometimes a bit of lock tide helps (on the bolt only, and be very conservative with the the to be used amount.
Be aware that it is very hard to get loose. So be sure the horn is positioned in the right position!

I have a unused 24t and 23t servo horn that came with the granite, but will those work even tho they are plastic and my new servo has metal gears.

As far as I know, no. And not because it's plastic on metal, but because the number of splines are different. The 25t servo horns are suited for servos with a 25t spline output such as Futaba (yours has futaba style servo). 24t or 23t horns won't mesh or fit (without force, hahaha) and are intended for servos with a matching spline output, i.e. Hitec for 24t or Airtronics / KO for 23t.

I have a 25t plastic servo horn on metal gears and it's fine.

@Uni-Verse, just buy a aluminum adjustable servo horn, they can be found for less than $10.00. Make sure you count the teeth on your servo gear, to ensure you buy the correct servo horn.

@Eek-the-Fox the servo I recently installed is a Hitec metal gear servo and @Blxer I was planning on buying an aluminum servo horn, how well do they work and I was gonna buy the 23t horn. and how many teeth does the hitec servos normally have?

@Eek-the-Fox the servo I recently installed is a Hitec metal gear servo and @Blxer I was planning on buying an aluminum servo horn, how well do they work and I was gonna buy the 23t horn. and how many teeth does the hitec servos normally have?
I think hitec normally uses a 24t horn, if not sure, google specs for the servo just for some peace of mind. Might as well get aluminium since you have to replace it anyway.

@Uni-Verse, just buy a aluminum adjustable servo horn, they can be found for less than $10.00. Make sure you count the teeth on your servo gear, to ensure you buy the correct servo horn.

When the second Arrma servo was stripped I had the same thought.
But my LHS could have sold me an expensive aluminum version, but they told me it is a bad upgrade for an SCT!
The plastic version is strong enough, and with metal gears you rather have the horn broken than the gears.

But if we talk about a monster truck or 1/8 or a crawler: Aluminum!!!

@Uni-Verse, it sounds like you were putting a 25t servo horn on a 23t or 24t servo gear. Since you have a 24t and a 23t plastic servo horn, I would just use the plastic one that fits. My blx granite has a metal geared servo and I'm still using the stock plastic servo horn.

I only suggested the aluminum servo horn because, I thought your servo was so strong it was stripping the plastic one. But now it seems that you were just using the wrong size servo horn. Trust me, I've had my share of rc mishaps, and still do and more are to come. :D That's what awesome forums like this are for! ;) Hope you get it straightened out.

Last edited:
But my LHS could have sold me an expensive aluminum version, but they told me it is a bad upgrade for an SCT!
The plastic version is strong enough, and with metal gears you rather have the horn broken than the gears.

I agree 100%
I'd rather have a stripped servo horn, than a stripped servo any day! I run a aluminum servo horn my ruckus, and I use $15.00 or less metal geared servos in it. It has held up pretty good, so far.

I wonder why it's a bad idea to use aluminum servo horns in SCT?

Mmmm interesting.....something to definitely keep in mind for future reference.

I wonder why it's a bad idea to use aluminum servo horns in SCT?

For racing it is not.
For bashing you rather have the plastic one to make it a weaker link than your strong metal geared servo.

I run Savox servo's I'm my Mojave's, so I rather have the horn break instead ;)

Still it is never a guarantee that your servo is 100% safe.

Hitecs come with horns that will work, you will just have trim them to the proper length. They are plenty strong and will already be stronger than all the other arrma steering linkages.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back