Kraton Servo or ESC smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pavalion

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
was out ripping around in the grass, towards the end realized the servo wasn't turning left took it to the blacktop and same thing. Messed with the trim on the remote and still nothing. Brought it inside set it down still powered on while I grabbed a few things. About 3-5 minutes later started smelling an odd smell only to come back and see smoke billowing from car just at that time the ESC/fan shut off. Quickly disconnected battery and servo felt hot as hell. Let it sit, tried again and it looks like smoke is coming from under the servo. ESC comes on but does not connect to TX. this is my first RC and I've only had it about a week with this being the 3rd run. Any help please, hopefully ARRMA support can fix it under warranty I'm calling tomorrow.

You could of blown the internal BEC in the ESC with a binding in the servo causing an overload. Have you removed the receiver case to see if the receiver is still getting power? You could also test if receiver binds to TX without the servo connected.

sounds like the servo stripped a gear (won't turn left) then overloaded... I agree with JRwalte - unplug the steering servo from the tx, and try to power it on (wheels off the ground!) See if the ESC and TX get power. If yes, then just go buy a good servo. If no, contact Hobbico, they will get you a new ESC.

JX servos are pretty cheap, and pretty decent -
https://www.banggood.com/JX-Servo-C...154872.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/JX-BLS-HV7...79987.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=USA

Thanks guys, I opened up the receiver and I guess the wire git so hot it fused to the ESC wire so I'll call ARRMA tomorrow and see what they say. So pissed first RC and I just want to use the damn thing.

IMG_20180221_190623.jpg

Wow, that is different...

Yeah, sounds like the servo overloaded. A bit of careful work with an exacto knife should extract the ESC wiring. Then liquid electrical tape for any exposed wiring, and you maybe good. Well, good enough to test to see if the ESC and RX survived the servo meltdown.

Wow, that is different...

Yeah, sounds like the servo overloaded. A bit of careful work with an exacto knife should extract the ESC wiring. Then liquid electrical tape for any exposed wiring, and you maybe good. Well, good enough to test to see if the ESC and RX survived the servo meltdown.
EHHHH I'm just shipping it off all to them to look at. Hopefully the turn around isn't forever, as this is why I bought a new car in the first place!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back