Servo Problems and Getting Warm at Idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyFromCanada

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
A couple of days ago, I was bashing around with a small fan on the ESC and a small fan with a heatsink on the brushed motor. Things were going well, until the steering intermittently stopped responding to the signal. For a while it was only the right turn that I would need to try a few times to get it to respond. After a few more minutes, steering started getting sluggish, and eventually stopped responding altogether.

Originally, I was thinking it might just be the BEC overloading due to the fans running off it. So I checked some stuff, and tried again after it was cool a day or so later. Still the same problem, except now occasionally without any input, or with significant delay, the motor would briefly kick in.

Okay, I thought weak transmitter batteries. Changed those but still the issue remains. I wondered if I might have damaged the receiver with too much current draw (couldn't find max current specs for the TR326 receiver). So I tried the servo in my other truck, with different receiver and ESC/BEC. Same issue.

Short story...I seem to have electronically done something to my servo which I would like to avoid doing again. Any ideas? Could it still be due to an initial BEC overload with the two fans?

A new servo resolved the issue...the old one seemed fine mechanically, but electrically something wasn't right, perhaps the positioning circuitry somehow got baked.

The stock servo from my ECX Torment did this. I later ran that same servo in my 1/16 SCT and it worked fine for a dozen. I theorized (guessed) that these cheap RTR's just use under powered servos, so they overheat, and fail. Put them in service that is not overloading them, and they do fine again...

The stock servo from my ECX Torment did this. I later ran that same servo in my 1/16 SCT and it worked fine for a dozen. I theorized (guessed) that these cheap RTR's just use under powered servos, so they overheat, and fail. Put them in service that is not overloading them, and they do fine again...

Yeah, this was a Savox 0213MG though. I opened it up and the gear stack looked okay, but the electronics didn't want to turn it. I admit, I'm a bit lazy among other things, so the easier route was to buy a new one. Perhaps could have fixed it with a few days worth of poking, but I had also damaged the wires a bit as well. Chalk it up to a new guy :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back