Notorious Servo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerTendo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I just got my first Arrma RC. It’s a blue Notorious which I know is an Outcast with a new body. After bashing for about 15 mins my servo stripped out. So now I have a servo question like everyone else. I searched the forum for a couple hours and couldn’t find the answer. I just got the Hot Racing mount and I have the Savox 1210 on the way. My question is do I mount the servo with the little rubber grommets or do I solid mount it? I’ve read of people doing both but I thought the point of the mount was to reduce flex. Wouldn’t installing the grommets add flex? I just ended up confusing myself so I’m asking those who know more than I.

I just got my first Arrma RC. It’s a blue Notorious which I know is an Outcast with a new body. After bashing for about 15 mins my servo stripped out. So now I have a servo question like everyone else. I searched the forum for a couple hours and couldn’t find the answer. I just got the Hot Racing mount and I have the Savox 1210 on the way. My question is do I mount the servo with the little rubber grommets or do I solid mount it? I’ve read of people doing both but I thought the point of the mount was to reduce flex. Wouldn’t installing the grommets add flex? I just ended up confusing myself so I’m asking those who know more than I.

I just went through this same ordeal. Here is the skinny and what I did.

If you tighten the servo saver too much it will mess up the stock servo.

The 1210 is the one you want. Don’t use the grommets or the spacers with the Hot racing mount. It comes with screws and conical spacers. Those are to hold the servo down. NO SPACERS OR GROMMETS! Btw it is the 4 longer screws. (If you use the grommets and spacers then it is too tall. This goes for just the grommets too.

It is a tight fit but the servo will barely squeeze through the hole. Lock tight everything on that mount.

Use the stock mounting screws that go through the chassis and loctite them. More contact stronger point.

The other thing I did was add a BEC to the system to bump the voltage to 7.4 V instead of the 6v. This makes it so you can run the higher 444.4 oz-in of torque instead of the 270ish with 6v

Since your pulling the servo. Pull the front end off and clean off the servo saver. Tighten the nut down so you have 4ish mm of thread showing. (When you slide it back down you will gain a MM and make it an even 5mm.

Put back together and bash away. Enjoy your fun beefier toy!

Here is two pictures for reference

5A168D9B-037F-4DAB-ACFA-DDEDA68B0BB1.jpeg
62AC84EC-13B2-4401-88EF-696552CD232F.jpeg

I just went through this same ordeal. Here is the skinny and what I did.

If you tighten the servo saver too much it will mess up the stock servo.

The 1210 is the one you want. Don’t use the grommets or the spacers with the Hot racing mount. It comes with screws and conical spacers. Those are to hold the servo down. NO SPACERS OR GROMMETS! Btw it is the 4 longer screws. (If you use the grommets and spacers then it is too tall. This goes for just the grommets too.

It is a tight fit but the servo will barely squeeze through the hole. Lock tight everything on that mount.

Use the stock mounting screws that go through the chassis and loctite them. More contact stronger point.

The other thing I did was add a BEC to the system to bump the voltage to 7.4 V instead of the 6v. This makes it so you can run the higher 444.4 oz-in of torque instead of the 270ish with 6v

Since your pulling the servo. Pull the front end off and clean off the servo saver. Tighten the nut down so you have 4ish mm of thread showing. (When you slide it back down you will gain a MM and make it an even 5mm.

Here is two pictures for reference

View attachment 23043View attachment 23044
That's a very clean install with the BEC. What BEC are you using? Is it waterproof?

smkd13
that looks like a glitch buster that i see. where are you hiding your bec?
awesome looking set up regardless. mine (with a bec installed) looks like Frankenstein in comparison lol. finding space was an issue for me.

smkd13
Thank you so much for your help. I like the idea of the bec but I think for now I’ll try without. I didn’t know about setting the servo saver to 5mm. Hopefully my servo will be in this evening so I can start wrenching!

While you are servicing the servo saver, add some thread lock to the nut!

That's a very clean install with the BEC. What BEC are you using? Is it waterproof?

I am using the Castle Creations BEC 2.0 WP which is waterproof. Honestly I could not find a good place to put it lol

smkd13
Thank you so much for your help. I like the idea of the bec but I think for now I’ll try without. I didn’t know about setting the servo saver to 5mm. Hopefully my servo will be in this evening so I can start wrenching!

5mm is a good starting point. So far I have had good luck with it. And I just test on asphalt and it turns great. Like I said though put loctite blue on it to hold it in place. It will move if you don’t. Hope the servo install goes well let’s see a pic when your done.

smkd13
that looks like a glitch buster that i see. where are you hiding your bec?
awesome looking set up regardless. mine (with a bec installed) looks like Frankenstein in comparison lol. finding space was an issue for me.

I haven’t installed a glitch buster. From what my experience and research has seen is that a glitch buster isn’t really needed with a single servo setup. The glitching is feedback from a servo to another servo. Where as we have one servo there isn’t a lot that can happen to the ESC.

The BEC is the little Grey box next to the servo. It is the CC BEC 2.0 WP

While you are servicing the servo saver, add some thread lock to the nut!

☝?☝?☝?☝? This guy knows lol

I just installed the savox 1210 with the hot racing mount. Very pleased with it so far only concern is the buzzing type noise from the servo normal or is something messed up?

Mostly normal. Some servos buzz more than others.

BUT -

Check for binding in the steering system. If it was not buzing before you worked on it, maybe you have something a bit too tight now, and the servo is buzzing trying to center against a sticky ball joint somewhere.

Mostly normal. Some servos buzz more than others.

BUT -

Check for binding in the steering system. If it was not buzing before you worked on it, maybe you have something a bit too tight now, and the servo is buzzing trying to center against a sticky ball joint somewhere.
Thanks for the reply. I just installed it last night so it was the first time I drove it with that servo. I made sure it steered freely before I installed the servo so I don’t think it’s hanging up. I assumed it was normal but just wanted to make sure. I’m trying to upload a video of it but it’s not working from my phone for some reason

Thanks for the reply. I just installed it last night so it was the first time I drove it with that servo. I made sure it steered freely before I installed the servo so I don’t think it’s hanging up. I assumed it was normal but just wanted to make sure. I’m trying to upload a video of it but it’s not working from my phone for some reason
I have the same servo and it makes the same noise. I thought something was wrong with it but all is good 6 months now

Indeed it does. What’s the reason for that?

No resistance on the servo. If you put it gently back down, it should buzz either. But manually put pressure on the front from side to side and you will hear it buzz as there is resistance against the servo which is holding the wheels straight. It’s totally normal.

No resistance on the servo. If you put it gently back down, it should buzz either. But manually put pressure on the front from side to side and you will hear it buzz as there is resistance against the servo which is holding the wheels straight. It’s totally normal.
Ahh gotcha. Thanks for the input!

I am using the Castle Creations BEC 2.0 WP which is waterproof. Honestly I could not find a good place to put it lol

I had the same problem with the BEC where to put it and ended up with a small home made platform on top of the steering plate:

20181103_095222.jpg

Last edited:
just curious why you're running an external BEC? that servo is 6v max.
Correct it's 6v but it's quite a beast on amp draw. My esc fried the first time i used it, guess it was the last push it needed to go up in smoke.
So out of precaution and to keep the esc cooler i installed the BEC

Correct it's 6v but it's quite a beast on amp draw. My esc fried the first time i used it, guess it was the last push it needed to go up in smoke.
So out of precaution and to keep the esc cooler i installed the BEC
damn... it's hard to know what to do and what not to do with RCs :unsure: i would have thought your setup with the stock bec would be fine, but you got hit with a busted ESC. sorry for your loss.

internal bec is rated at 3A continuous 12A max @ 6V. your servo is 6A max @ 6V. everyone runs the 1210SG which is also 6A max @ 6V and the ESC is fine. weird that your ESC died.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back