Servo/receiver issue with Arrma Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iremmats

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Pretty new posting in this forum but have been reading alot. Me and my son has an Arrma Talion V2 together which we love to run with and also buy some upgrade parts and learn how everything works together.

After doing some water/mud racing we now have an issue we need some help with.

Problem is that when we just steer the wheels is sometimes goes full throttle. The servo also glitches/jumps a little bit. When this happens the red light on the receiver blinks like its losing connection.

So our question is about what do we need to replace here?

If its the reciever that is faulty, can we buy any receiver out there and use with current radio?

Buddy just had a similar issue and it was because the receiver got wet. probably the issue here. You need to match the receiver to the transmitter so they can pair properly.
Remember, these things are 'water-resistant" not "waterproof" ;) You can try waterproofing the receiver box once the new one is in. There's quite a few methods and videos on youtube with a quick search for how to do this.

For troubleshooting steps, First I would disconnect the servo horn from the servo and move the steering with my hands to make sure nothing is bound up. Often times, after mud, the pivot balls will get grungy and will hardly turn. I'd eliminate this as the problem before replacing parts. Also check the servo saver and make sure it's tight enough.

It sounds like the receiver is browning out(means that it is almost shutting down).

What can cause this is a servo that is faulty taking all the available current from the receiver. The ESC also has a close relationship with the receiver, so will be affected if the receiver isn't happy.

Have you got a spare or old servo, does the fault occur when this one is connected? Does the servo respond the way you expect full end point to end point without any hesitation? Does it happen if you remove the steering horn from the servo? Test by turning the steering input on the radio with no load on the servo?

Perhaps try a full re-bind of the radio then re-calibrate the ESC again?

Have you ever checked the failsafe on the car? Hold the car by the wing and turn off the transmitter first, if it doesn't accelerate that's good, then try and pull a little throttle while hold the car off the ground and then turn off the transmitter, it should return to no throttle again.

I put my receivers in a balloon, then ziptie it around the wires. Then if any water gets inside the box, it's got a second barrier. I also wrap it with foam so it isn't just banging around in the receiver box. That was kind of a carry over from the old days when a receiver box was just a box, no o-rings or anything sealing it.

On my ejato, there isn't a receiver box, so I have doublesided tape to velcro to hold it onto the chassis.
2019-0329-eJato-WrappedTiresSpur.jpg

I also wrapped most of the balloon with electrical tape to help avoid punctures or wear holes in the balloon caused by vibration.

I do the same thing on most of my trucks, even if the receiver box is "waterproof". I also do it to my receiver 6V packs on my nitro's.

I put my receivers in a balloon, then ziptie it around the wires. Then if any water gets inside the box, it's got a second barrier. I also wrap it with foam so it isn't just banging around in the receiver box. That was kind of a carry over from the old days when a receiver box was just a box, no o-rings or anything sealing it.

On my ejato, there isn't a receiver box, so I have doublesided tape to velcro to hold it onto the chassis.
2019-0329-eJato-WrappedTiresSpur.jpg

I also wrapped most of the balloon with electrical tape to help avoid punctures or wear holes in the balloon caused by vibration.

I do the same thing on most of my trucks, even if the receiver box is "waterproof". I also do it to my receiver 6V packs on my nitro's.
Good tip mate, cheap and very effective!

This is the current receiver. https://www.amainhobbies.com/tactic-tr326-3channel-2.4ghz-slt-hv-receiver-tacl0326/p658352
Do I need exactly the same? haven't found it in the stores here in Sweden.

Any tactic receiver should be able to bind to the transmitter. If you'r enot sure, check the tactic website and the transmitter's manual online. It should tell you exactly what it's compatible with.

Also how old is the car? You could always try asking Horizon Hobby if they'll warranty it. Probably not but it's worth a shot. Just shoot them an email and tell them what your issue is but don't mention you ran it through water :D
https://www.horizonhobby.com/content/service-center-render-service-center

For troubleshooting steps, First I would disconnect the servo horn from the servo and move the steering with my hands to make sure nothing is bound up. Often times, after mud, the pivot balls will get grungy and will hardly turn. I'd eliminate this as the problem before replacing parts. Also check the servo saver and make sure it's tight enough.

None of that would cause it to go full throttle when steering. Something is whonky in the receiver. Like I said, my buddy just had the same exact issue with the same exact receiver/vehicle ;) He ran it into a swamp by accident and the water that got in damaged the receiver. Betting with 95% surety that's the issue here. His did the same exact thing... throttle going nuts, steering not responding, etc. Was 100% good once he replaced the receiver.

Thanks for all the tips!

I tried switching to another servo from an older smaller rc. It didn't show any of the signs so my guess right now is that something is wrong with the servo. I have ordered a new one which comes tomorrow. Ill update here if it works to run it once again then.

Also ordered a new receiver just in case. :)

Last edited:
I can assure you that this is a rx issue as mine did the exact same thing when my rx got wet. I swapped in a different rx and the problem went away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back