Servo saver immobilization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddys

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Noticing a good amount of understeer over time after tightening the servo saver. Upon inspection I noticed the servo saver opening up not allowing for the translation of steering to the wheels. I have additional servos (and a new uninstalled saver) and was about to install one so I'm not worried about ruining the stock servo. Are there any risks in epoxying the servo saver so that I have maximum steering and don't have to keep tightening the servo saver nut?

What car is this?

I added some thread lock to the nut on my Kraton's SS, and it has not loosened up on me again. My nut is about a nut's height above the chassis, so I still have some SS action when needed. Steering is strong. Savox 2270sg for steering duties.

What car is this?

I added some thread lock to the nut on my Kraton's SS, and it has not loosened up on me again. My nut is about a nut's height above the chassis, so I still have some SS action when needed. Steering is strong. Savox 2270sg for steering duties.
So how has the the thread lock held up on that servo saver nut? This is an issue than needs addressing. I attempted to put c type shock collars under the nut, but the saver backing off caused the whole unit to bind. That nut just keeps going down, even when it met up with another solid object. Almost like a ratchet that just keeps tightening.

So far, so good. Last few months, though, I have not had much RC time. But I think I have at least a dozen packs thru the truck since lock-tite-ing the SS, with no issue.

So how has the the thread lock held up on that servo saver nut? This is an issue than needs addressing. I attempted to put c type shock collars under the nut, but the saver backing off caused the whole unit to bind. That nut just keeps going down, even when it met up with another solid object. Almost like a ratchet that just keeps tightening.

That is exactly what is happening. Every time the saver rotates open and closed it turns the nut & the natural way for it to go is looser. It needs to be designed with a thrust bearing or a heavier nut with a set screw. Or you could double nut it and lock them together. I run mine pretty tight and don't have too much trouble with it.

That is exactly what is happening. Every time the saver rotates open and closed it turns the nut & the natural way for it to go is looser. It needs to be designed with a thrust bearing or a heavier nut with a set screw. Or you could double nut it and lock them together. I run mine pretty tight and don't have too much trouble with it.
A second but might work, but needs to be thin, maybe no more than 5mm thick. Thread lock on both. Thanks, another possible consideration

I used gel threadlock. I tightned the nut until it was clear to the top, then I put a good blob of threadlock below the nut and backed the nut down through it to where I wanted it. Then I let it sit overnight.

That held for about 5 months. Then during my latest bash, the ground was a bit wet/muddy and I guess that loosened the threadlock as by the end of my second set of packs, it was all the way at the bottom again.

Then I took it apart, cleaned the old threadlock off (which was still sticky, not hard cured) and screwed the nut up to the top again, put a large drop of red locktite on the threads and backed the nut down over that. It has sat since as it got too cold to run. So I don't know how it's holding yet.

What about teflon tape? A few good wraps around the threads might help. I also thought of drilling a real small hole in the flat part of the nut, and using a thin wire to secure it to the chassis. All that needs to be done is to stop the spinning, so maybe that would work.

Teflon tape would probably work well. Just would work best if you take the saver out of the truck to wrap it. Would be a test of patience trying to put it on while it's on the truck.

I used that on my pillow ball caps on my outcast. Worked well for that too.

Teflon tape would probably work well. Just would work best if you take the saver out of the truck to wrap it. Would be a test of patience trying to put it on while it's on the truck.

I used that on my pillow ball caps on my outcast. Worked well for that too.
Gonna see how the loctite works first I guess. Was the tape in the pillow ball caps because of long term wear?

Gonna see how the loctite works first I guess. Was the tape in the pillow ball caps because of long term wear?
No, they kept coming loose. I put a wrap or two around the pillow ball cap threads, then put them back in. They still squirm their way out a little over time, but nothing like it was originally. I'd have to tighten them back up after every pack. Got annoying pretty quick. I didn't want to use too much tape and cross thread them. So, I used just enough to snug them up.

I'm having this exact problem too on my Kraton. A set screw type thing would be better, with preset holes maybe? I don't want to have to threadlock it all the time, but after tightening it up "raw" today, it backed off on my first pack so I need to do something.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back