Kraton Servo Saver Setting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RxMonkey

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
what do you guys have your servo saver set at? My outcast and senton steer great though they have a shorter wheelbase. My Kraton feels like I’m driving a sheet of plywood. I have a voltage mount and Savox 1210. For some reason it doesn’t turn well at all. I’m going to adjust the EPAs.

How far up is your servo saver tightened? Mine is factory so about 1/8” from the chassis plate.

Mine is around 1/8" too, but I've lost steering once because it had loosened up and was almost all the way down. I'm tempted to buy a GPM steering kit, but that means I'd lose the servo saver, right? They make one, but its steering link looks horrible. Hot Racing would look amazing, but they're out of stock from where I usually order, plus I think I'd still lose the servo saver (?).

I have the HR one and you reuse the spring and post so it's the same as stock only aluminum. A lot of ppl suggest using some lube on the cam of the HR one just to make sure it moves and doesn't bind. Can't remember the type tho. I use a shot of LPS on mine.

I use the HR one and my servo saver is almost halfway up on the threads. I was told with a new servo and aluminum steering kit that the servo saver should be adjusted more on the tight side. I'm also running the Savox 1210sg and the steering is buttery smooth. If your steering is tight you may want to check the pillow balls on the wheel hubs. If they are clamped down to tight it will bind up the steering. I back off the pillowball nut until the wheel turns smooth. If you back off the pillowballs too much it creates slop but its easy to find the sweet spot!

I use the HR one and my servo saver is almost halfway up on the threads. I was told with a new servo and aluminum steering kit that the servo saver should be adjusted more on the tight side. I'm also running the Savox 1210sg and the steering is buttery smooth. If your steering is tight you may want to check the pillow balls on the wheel hubs. If they are clamped down to tight it will bind up the steering. I back off the pillowball nut until the wheel turns smooth. If you back off the pillowballs too much it creates slop but its easy to find the sweet spot!

Ok that’s what I was thinking with a stronger setup maybe I could crank up the saver. I suppose it’s just harder on the servo. Thank you for the pointer on the pillows. I discovered not to overtighten them when I first tightened on up. It’ll lock up your steering bad.

what do you guys have your servo saver set at? My outcast and senton steer great though they have a shorter wheelbase. My Kraton feels like I’m driving a sheet of plywood. I have a voltage mount and Savox 1210. For some reason it doesn’t turn well at all. I’m going to adjust the EPAs.

How far up is your servo saver tightened? Mine is factory so about 1/8” from the chassis plate.

Be sure your dual rate is set to Max when you set the EPA's.

Be sure your dual rate is set to Max when you set the EPA's.
I have a Futaba 4pl idk if I have dual rate. I just dialed the saver up about half way. It’s steering much, much better now. I think it was a bit weak to accommodate the factory servo. Now I have a cracking noise when I am steered fully and brake hard. I don’t think it’s the diff as it doesn’t to it on straight ahead braking. I guess it’s a CV. 6s absolutely destroys these poor trucks. That said, may god have mercy on them because I won’t :)

I have a Futaba 4pl idk if I have dual rate. I just dialed the saver up about half way. It’s steering much, much better now. I think it was a bit weak to accommodate the factory servo. Now I have a cracking noise when I am steered fully and brake hard. I don’t think it’s the diff as it doesn’t to it on straight ahead braking. I guess it’s a CV. 6s absolutely destroys these poor trucks. That said, may god have mercy on them because I won’t :)

I am not familiar with that radio but mentioned the dual rate because if it is not at Max and the end points are set then if it gets turned up it will override the end point adjustment and burn up the servo. Had it happen once. Not sure about the cracking under braking when turned. I had shimmed the pillow balls out once in an effort to be able to get more droop before the dogbone bound up and got a loud crack under braking while turned. But it kicked the bone out of the diff cup when it happened. Try backing your end points off a little and see if it goes away. The angle of the joint may be too steep causing the joint to bind up and release violently causing the noise.

I am not familiar with that radio but mentioned the dual rate because if it is not at Max and the end points are set then if it gets turned up it will override the end point adjustment and burn up the servo. Had it happen once. Not sure about the cracking under braking when turned. I had shimmed the pillow balls out once in an effort to be able to get more droop before the dogbone bound up and got a loud crack under braking while turned. But it kicked the bone out of the diff cup when it happened. Try backing your end points off a little and see if it goes away. The angle of the joint may be too steep causing the joint to bind up and release violently causing the noise.

I see. I set the epa by raising the front of the truck and watching the swing each way and dialing it beyond the steering capability and bringing it back to just less than the max mechanical limit. Maybe I can back it off a little more. Thank you for the helpful hints my man!

You don't want to crank up the servo saver with the aluminum steering bellcrank (HR, GPM). The steering mechanism will be too stiff and you will put a lot of strain on the servo. With the stock bellcrank my servo saver was 5mm above chassis and that worked fine. Upgrading my Kraton and Talion to the aluminum steering bellcrank (HR/GPM) without changing the servo saver pressure I lost 2 good servo's in a row within a few weeks... I loosened up my servo savers to 3/4mm above chassis and now my servo's are doing fine for months.

You don't want to crank up the servo saver with the aluminum steering bellcrank (HR, GPM). The steering mechanism will be too stiff and you will put a lot of strain on the servo. With the stock bellcrank my servo saver was 5mm above chassis and that worked fine. Upgrading my Kraton and Talion to the aluminum steering bellcrank (HR/GPM) without changing the servo saver pressure I lost 2 good servo's in a row within a few weeks... I loosened up my servo savers to 3/4mm above chassis and now my servo's are doing fine for months.
Good info, but, I gather you mean 3-4mm, not 3/4mm?

Yes, definitely 3-4mm... ;) Those 1-2mm can make a big difference in an all aluminum steering mechanism that has no other 'play'...

I see. I set the epa by raising the front of the truck and watching the swing each way and dialing it beyond the steering capability and bringing it back to just less than the max mechanical limit.

I should try that. I've always set EPAs by starting from 100, dialing down until the tires start turning and then dialing it up a bit until they stop turning, but this leaves a bit of play as the rods aren't at their max (they could move a bit more even though the tires won't be turning). This has always resulted in poor steering, needing a lot of space to do a circle.

Thank you for this thread. I just tried my “new” Kraton today and couldn’t steer at low speeds. The wheels simply won’t turn. But I can pick the front end up and the wheels turn great. But with tired on the ground = no turning power.

I bought it off eBay and it came with a traxxas servo of some sort. I swapped that with an ads15 and it seemed to make no difference. Is there a mega “Mac daddy” servo I could buy that would let me turn the wheels even when the Kraton is stationary? Or is that just an over expectation for this truck?

If to be around 10mph to make a slight turn - that seems weird to me. But I am new.

I just recently put in a savox 1230. Somewhere around 500 oz torque @ 6 volts.
Kraton handles and turns way better now. I also installed a HR servo mount, HR bellcrank/servo saver, and HR servo arm and bc link.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back