Limitless Servo specs for speed running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
How good of a servo would you recommend for speed running? Is torque or speed more important?

Minimum torque?
Minimum speed?
Servo saver or delete?

Limitless V1 with gyro

Thanks

25 kg is technically all you need. But 35 KG is what I use for certain reasons below. I use the AMZ DS3235's in ALL my rigs. Even servo speed is not much of a factor for "speed running". Because the wheels are small and light and you are just driving straight lines. Many Pro track guys even turn down the speed of the ST servos. Fast RC cars don't always need FAST servo's. This only works against you at some point. Steering Dual Rate is most always turned "Down" anyway for speed running. If you don't know this already, you have much more to learn about speed running. Your wallet should decide the rest. Whether spending $35. or $135. , remember that a servo's torque is dependant on the available BEC voltage of your ESC. Better to understand what your maximum available BEC output volts is before buying that new servo. Some servos can even run on 8.4 volts to get their maximum specs. But if your ESC cannot supply 8.4v then you are SOL with that chosen servo. Do your research. Also, most servos never supply the advertised torque and speed to begin with. They are usually 30% lower than advertised. So I just shoot for a 35 KG servo, and run at 7.4v BEC. And I am covered with both servo Speed and servo Torque.

Last edited:
I prefer more torque. The thing that’s most important, IMO, is return to center. For that reason I use a ProModeler BL630. I have the speed turned down in my Tx. You don’t want it to be really snappy.
Yup. And what @SrC said too.
Get as much torque as you can. Speed is irrelevant. The other thing to look for is a servo that returns to center reliably and delete the servo saver. That's my $0.02.
Yup again. Also why I run the PM DS630BLHV. I swear that anyone who tries this servo will be married to it forever. It’s both powerful and fast enough for any Arrma 1/7 or 1/8 application and centers perfectly. On a speed runner power it at 6v and it’s awesome. Run it on 8.4 in an off road rig and it’ll blow your mind.

@LibertyMKiii, that JX got bad reviews regarding it advertised 46KG specs. I know it is still a popular choice, but for the price, I passed on that one. Most are rarely accurate anyway.
Accuracy with centering is most important for sure. All depends on the quality of the Potentiometer and motor that is used. ProModeler uses Japanese sourced Motor and Pot's for this reason. @Dan B. is correct.

On a speed runner power it at 6v and it’s awesome. Run it on 8.4 in an off road rig and it’ll blow your mind.
Why run it at only 6V in a speed runner?

Thanks everyone. I have a Savox 2290 I can repurpose from a different car. That thing can rotate Earth on 8V.

I wasn't sure if I needed that much torque but this thread helped me decide. I appreciate it.

Why run it at only 6V in a speed runner?
It still has plenty of torque, still centers great, and you’re conserving power. Also you don’t have to dial it back as much in DR or expo. Like @LicketySplit said, you don’t want an overly fast servo that’s too snappy in a speed runner.
Not that I’m an expert! I haven’t even cracked 80mph yet!

torque and ability to center. I run futabas for a variety of reasons but have had a promodeler DS630 which I thought was awesome. Amazon servos never seem to center and I refuse to send a $1000+ car down the street at 120+ mph with a servo that I can't trust. I run all of my servos at 7.4v

brushless > coreless

torque and ability to center. I run futabas for a variety of reasons but have had a promodeler DS630 which I thought was awesome. Amazon servos never seem to center and I refuse to send a $1000+ car down the street at 120+ mph with a servo that I can't trust. I run all of my servos at 7.4v
And 2 Savox 1210's failed me miserabley. Failing/struggling to center under load. Both noisey and whiny out the box. And are Amp hogs. Savox Cust support sucks. Hopefully you never need to use their warranty or service. If you do, you may feel differently about $Savox$. IDK. I will admit that a rather old Sav 1230sg ( Not WP) has treated my Tekno MT410 well. And it should, for the price I paid.
For me, $150. was a loss. Never again. That experience alone is what sent me to AMZ with the cheaper servos. :cool: No they are not the best out there, yet work well. And none of my (9) DS3235's have failed me yet. Some are super bashed hard ( off road), some are used in my Crawlers get wet and trashed hard, same with my Kraton and FT. Even with both my $1k + Limitless and Infr. builds a "cheap servo has worked well for me. But we all have our favs. I get it.
I concentrate more on the steering Slop of these 6s Arrma'. An expensive/precision servo cannot compensate for the poor steering precision of these 6s Arrma rigs. Correct that Steering slop, and even most any 25 KG servo will do the job well for speed running. It is very rare that a servo will cause Speed running carnage. Unless you run the stocker Spektrum servos! I would only consider the Promodeler brand if I had the coin to toss at them. Also, using 6v BEC has its advantages. Throwing all the BEC you can at a servo, is not always best.

Last edited:
@LibertyMKiii, that JX got bad reviews regarding it advertised 46KG specs. I know it is still a popular choice, but for the price, I passed on that one. Most are rarely accurate anyway.

I have been doubting this servo for a while now. I am switching to my Savox before my next run.

How good of a servo would you recommend for speed running? Is torque or speed more important?

Minimum torque?
Minimum speed?
Servo saver or delete?

Limitless V1 with gyro

Thanks
I run Perfect Pass servos on my speed rigs, Infraction, limitless and Limitless chassis GT. You can find them on Amazon. Precision and speed are the two most important attributes. Tried several name brand expensive ($150+) servos and found this one to work best for me. Perfect pass brand also has other products that will enhance your speed run rigs.

I had a 70% sponsorship with them about 14 years ago or so. I'll gladly take the SAVOX Fanboi name all day long! :cool: I've never had one go bad on me, ever.
Good advice from someone with Exper. (y)

I feel I am alone here when it comes to Savox. I am just gun shy now.:giggle: Too many other servo choices out there. And I was also a religious Futaba fan boy of many years past and at the track. They just cost too Much for Bashing purposes, IMHO.

No they are not the best out there, yet work well. And none of my (9) DS3235's have failed me yet.
Me either. I’m running them in four or five off road bashers and they’ve hung in there for years now. Tough to argue the bang for the buck, and perfectly adequate for bashers for sure. And I’m not throwing ProModeler money at a Slash basher, lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back