Servo upgrade for my Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bic1090

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
What's up all? So I need a new servo for my Nero.. What do you all recommend? I have heard about the Savox 1231SG and that it's a great servo, but it's not waterproof. Will this be an issue in the snow? I can't seem to find a high tq waterproof servo that's reasonable in price. Thanks!

@Bic1090 the Savox 1231SG isn't waterproof but the Savox SW-1210SG is and if you're going to run in water or snow then I would certainly recommend getting a waterproof servo. Else you could always wrap the servo in a balloon, plastic dip, or even using corrosion x to waterproof a non-waterproof servo yourself.

Yea
@Bic1090 the Savox 1231SG isn't waterproof but the Savox SW-1210SG is and if you're going to run in water or snow then I would certainly recommend getting a waterproof servo. Else you could always wrap the servo in a balloon, plastic dip, or even using corrosion x to waterproof a non-waterproof servo yourself.
I plan on running in the snow, but all the waterproof servos that are high tq are wayyy more expensive. So thats my conundrum.. Opinion?

I just ordered the Savox 1231SG with glitch buster for 69. I figure for a couple extra bucks I can waterproof it later. In the meantime I think I will just use a bit of marine grease where the threads stuck out to semi seal it up. I will plasit dip it at some point. Thanks for the help all. I'm sure it will be a fantastic servo!

Nice choice @Bic1090, I'm sure you're going to be happy as Savox makes great servos.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. According to Arrma, the stock servo is 208 oz/in at 7.2 volts... Which is funny because the esc is set to 6volts. This will be a huge upgrade.
Would you happen to know if the micro servos for the diff brain can handle 7.2 volts?

Ive just installed a T/H Rc gear shop DHV300 Digital Servo on my Nero. I was able to change the servo without uninstalling the center diff unit by accessing the 2 screws that hold the servo mounts in place. I also water proofed the servo. Here's pics of my plastic dip job.ill update how well it performers as soon i can take it out. (Its been raining hard all weekend)
Specs are
4.8V 7.4V
Speed: .16 .15
Torque: 396oz-in (28.5kg/cm) 425oz-in (30.6kg/cm)
I only paid $44.99 on sale plus T/H discount.
tmp_20855-20161016_215608-1183741409.jpg
tmp_20855-20161016_215347-1768905202.jpg

Ive just installed a T/H Rc gear shop DHV300 Digital Servo on my Nero. I was able to change the servo without uninstalling the center diff unit by accessing the 2 screws that hold the servo mounts in place. I also water proofed the servo. Here's pics of my plastic dip job.ill update how well it performers as soon i can take it out. (Its been raining hard all weekend)
Specs are
4.8V 7.4V
Speed: .16 .15
Torque: 396oz-in (28.5kg/cm) 425oz-in (30.6kg/cm)
I only paid $44.99 on sale plus T/H discount. View attachment 3138 View attachment 3139
Sweet man. That looks like a good choice. It should do well. I have to waterproof my servo at some point also, but haven't even taken it out of the box yet, been too busy. The Savox I got was the 1231SG,
444 oz/in @6v
.14 sec/60 @6v
I'm excited to get it in at some point. Lol

Did you water proof with plasti dip?
Yup, sure did! I dipped the lower half and brushed on to the upper half, i also put a little marine grease under and around the servo horn.

Yup, sure did! I dipped the lower half and brushed on to the upper half, i also put a little marine grease under and around the servo horn.
Nice. Im thinking about doing that also. I have yet to find the time tho. Im dealing with a stripped set screw that holds the 17mm hex onto the axle.. Sucks ass

Nice. Im thinking about doing that also. I have yet to find the time tho. Im dealing with a stripped set screw that holds the 17mm hex onto the axle.. Sucks ass
Yes it does suck! That seems to be a common problem, along with the hex screw loosening up and rounding out the hex on the rim.

Yes it does suck! That seems to be a common problem, along with the hex screw loosening up and rounding out the hex on the rim.
Oh yeah totally! I got a nice set of MIP drivers though, and got that damn grub screw out. And I locktite my wheel nuts everytime now. I had that happen, sucks ass.

IMG_0006.JPG

What's up all? So I need a new servo for my Nero.. What do you all recommend? I have heard about the Savox 1231SG and that it's a great servo, but it's not waterproof. Will this be an issue in the snow? I can't seem to find a high tq waterproof servo that's reasonable in price. Thanks!

I ended up going with the Savox SB-2290SG Black Edition. Its a bit pricey, but holy crap its got torque! 694 ounce-inches @ 7.4v :eek:

Not sure if its waterproof, but ive put it through its paces, and no troubles yet!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/savox-monster-torque-bl-servo-black-0-13-694-4at7-4.html

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 48
Loctite the wheel nuts to stop that from happening, ive never even had one come loose or loosen up i use blue and every 2 to 3 times i take it apart i really clean it up before putting it back together...

Loctite the wheel nuts to stop that from happening, ive never even had one come loose or loosen up i use blue and every 2 to 3 times i take it apart i really clean it up before putting it back together...
This seems to be a problem before the release of the nero. In the manual under maintenance schedule, they want you to tighten the wheel nuts every set of battery packs or 15 min of run time. Thats B.S. i don't have this problem with my fo-xx or revo. Whats up with that?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back