Typhon Servo upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scisor34

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Been in the hobby for about 15 yrs but am just starting to get back into it after a couple year break due to health reasons. I recently purchased a Typhon 3s and absolutely love it but I’m not happy with how the servo doesn’t seem to want to go back to center.

I’ve purchased a few highly rated 20kg servos off Amazon that I use on my crawlers with a Hobbywing 1080 esc and they work flawlessly but messed up the stock esc’s this the switch to the 1080. Any advice on an inexpensive route to go to solve this issue? Whether it be a reasonably priced esc or servo or combination? I know Castle Mambas are popular but I’m trying not to spend that much. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Been in the hobby for about 15 yrs but am just starting to get back into it after a couple year break due to health reasons. I recently purchased a Typhon 3s and absolutely love it but I’m not happy with how the servo doesn’t seem to want to go back to center.

I’ve purchased a few highly rated 20kg servos off Amazon that I use on my crawlers with a Hobbywing 1080 esc and they work flawlessly but messed up the stock esc’s this the switch to the 1080. Any advice on an inexpensive route to go to solve this issue? Whether it be a reasonably priced esc or servo or combination? I know Castle Mambas are popular but I’m trying not to spend that much. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just noticed the thread below mine, that’s the route I’ll go.

Last edited:

I just noticed the thread below mine, that’s the route I’ll go.

Those Amazon (DS3218 probably) servos probably cause brownouts (too much power consumption) with most brushed escs due to lack of a strong enough BEC. The HW 1080 has a BEC like most brushless escs (greater than 5v 1a). The stock BLX100 has a strong enough BEC (6v 3a) to use most any servo you would want to use including the Amazon specials. Stock servos (ADS) are analogue they work but I would prefer a digital servo.

Those Amazon (DS3218 probably) servos probably cause brownouts (too much power consumption) with most brushed escs due to lack of a strong enough BEC. The HW 1080 has a BEC like most brushless escs (greater than 5v 1a). The stock BLX100 has a strong enough BEC (6v 3a) to use most any servo you would want to use including the Amazon specials. Stock servos (ADS) are analogue they work but I would prefer a digital servo.

Ok great, thanks!
Also, I run it a lot on a makeshift figure 8 track in my yard against a couple of buddies and have went through 2 esc fans. One of the guys runs a Losi SC truck that acts as a vacuum sucking grass and dirt in and has never had a problem with his esc fan. Any suggestions on quality esc fans or should I just go with the Losi? Or are there any mods to keep debris out?

Last edited:
Ok great, thanks!
Also, I run it a lot on a makeshift figure 8 track in my yard against a couple of buddies and have went through 2 esc fans. One of the guys runs a Losi SC truck that acts as a vacuum sucking grass and dirt in and has never had a problem with his esc fan. Any suggestions on quality esc fans or should I just go with the Losi? Or are there any mods to keep debris out?

IME, it's the crashing that causes fans to go out more than the dirt.

The good news is that the "fix" for this is free. :) The bad news is that you can't buy it. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, but my point is I’d like to upgrade the servo from stock.
I understand. That's why I suggested the ADS-15 which is what comes in the 6s rigs. It's more than enough for the 3s trucks and it's what I use in mine. And they are dirt cheap.

I understand. That's why I suggested the ADS-15 which is what comes in the 6s rigs. It's more than enough for the 3s trucks and it's what I use in mine. And they are dirt cheap.

I just noticed that’s an upgraded servo,thank you. And thanks to everyone else for their advice. I’ll probably try all the above. Lol I haven’t really crashed my Typhon, my buddy’s Losi Tenacity has crashed many times and sucks so much dirt in with the SC body but his stock fan just keeps going, that’s why I wondered if there was a certain one that was much better than others.

I just noticed that’s an upgraded servo,thank you. And thanks to everyone else for their advice. I’ll probably try all the above. Lol I haven’t really crashed my Typhon, my buddy’s Losi Tenacity has crashed many times and sucks so much dirt in with the SC body but his stock fan just keeps going, that’s why I wondered if there was a certain one that was much better than others.

You might be the only one I have heard having a problem with the stock fan. The BLX100 is only a 25mm fan being so small it's just easier to get crap stuck in the fan and the fan not being strong enough to chop up or spit out debris. Most other escs come with a more common 30mm fan easier to find a good aftermarket option. The one your buddy has is just a Hobbywing WP SC8 rebrand if you wanted to get another esc it's not a bad choice (WP SC8) and it's not that expensive. If my cheap Goolrc 120a (the fan on it chews up grass) I have in my Granite decides to die that's what I'm going to probably put in it.

The difference between the ADS 7 and ADS 15 is mainly the torque. The ADS 7 is actually a slightly faster servo the difference between it and the ADS 15 might not be noticeable when running smaller tires like SCT. When you start using larger tires is where the difference is more noticeable or when running in grass.

A ADS 15 is cheap enough to try. I would try one of your Amazon servos in it first if not just get another to have as a spare. I ran the ADS 15 in my Granite but put a different servo in it this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYHYDSC/ref=twister_B07B4K2RTP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 I also changed out the servo saver to a Kimbrough 124 servo saver and if you have not done it yet change out the plastic bushings in the steering rack to 5X10X4mm bearings. Your steering centering issue may not be completely the fault of the servo.

I also changed out the servo saver to a Kimbrough 124 servo saver and if you have not done it yet change out the plastic bushings in the steering rack to 5X10X4mm bearings. Your steering centering issue may not be completely the fault of the servo.

Agree completely. Turn the car on and pull on the wheels and see how much softness there is in the servo saver. Then remove the screw attaching it to the rack (from underneath) and move the wheels back and forth to see if it’s moving smoothly by hand.

Agree completely. Turn the car on and pull on the wheels and see how much softness there is in the servo saver. Then remove the screw attaching it to the rack (from underneath) and move the wheels back and forth to see if it’s moving smoothly by hand.
Ok thanks. I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge! I don’t have an unlimited budget so all the tips I learn from you guys is fantastic. Thank you

Also are the steering rack bearings a direct fit or do I need to change other things as well to make them fit?

Ok thanks. I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge! I don’t have an unlimited budget so all the tips I learn from you guys is fantastic. Thank you

Also are the steering rack bearings a direct fit or do I need to change other things as well to make them fit?
Direct fit

So my fan has been working properly and keeping temps in the 120-130F range. The motor had been between 140-160F which I know is a safe range, but I’m trying to do as much preventative maintenance I can. Does anyone have a suggestion on a heatsink with a fan recommendation? A link to any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Love this buggy!!!!

The stock heatsink has done well for me, but I added two 30mm fans to it. I used the Hobbywing Turbo fans from RCJuice.

Did you set your end points/dual-rate when you installed the new servo?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back