Granite Servo upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having just done the 20kg servo in my Granite... I can attest that it is an entirely different machine. No more wandering, no more constant fiddling with steering trims, and grass and asphalt handling is superb, and dirt handling is much more predictable.

Its actually slower than the stock 7kg with no load... but under load is where it actually matters. Plus, adjusting the toe-in can compensate for the loss of over-all servo speed if you're really looking to get the truck to handle better.

All-in-all, the servo alone will only make it better in strength and repeatability/predictability. To really make it handle better you're changing diff fluid, aluminum turn-buckles, aluminum steering bell crank with bearings, and getting the slop out of your stub axles... maybe swapping wheels and tires.

That being said... all those mods won't be as good as they can be without a good, strong servo to push them around.

20-25kg should be the bare-minimum on any 3S or higher RC. The stock one is purely in there to meet a $300 price point.

AimlessRC - Care to share a picture of the Servo you upgrade to mate and what kind or if ya got a pix?

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20190731_191804.jpg
    20190731_191804.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 152
I have that same one in my Granite. Working fine so far. My ADS-15M just died in my Typhon and needs replaced. I bought another 25kg servo recently and am gonna try that next.

I have that same one in my Granite. Working fine so far. My ADS-15M just died in my Typhon and needs replaced. I bought another 25kg servo recently and am gonna try that next.

I'm running the $23 25kg servo from Amazon (Zoskay?) in my Kraton 4S. It's a tiny bit faster and good torque.

#Granite #Owners
razorrc, jondilly1974, AimlessRC,
I want to upgrade my servo STOCK Arrma Granite BLX 3s truck servo for better steering.
I would really like get some peoples opinions on the two below that I have listed for MY Granite BLX 4x4 Truck?
How well do these three servos perform, and will they take a beating during bashing session, etc?
Also, I think both are pretty simple to install from some of the videos I HAVE been watching.

1. Power HD LW-20MG Digital Servo (Waterproof) 20kg / 0.16sec / 63g OR
2. ZOSKAY Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear Standard Digital Servo 25KG/0.13S 6.8V
3. MG Servo for 1/10 Arrma Granite Senton Vorteks Fazon Mega 4x4 4wd 2wd BLX 3s RTR

Attachments

• Hd 20kg Servo Water Proof.jpg
    Hd 20kg Servo Water Proof.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ZOSKAY Waterproof High Torque Metal sERVO.png
    ZOSKAY Waterproof High Torque Metal sERVO.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 11kg servo.jpg
    11kg servo.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
This is the one I have in my Granite that works well. It’s the only one I’ve used in it other than the crap stock one. Only issues I’ve had is rocks in the steering. Can’t say much more than that.

ANNIMOS 20KG Digital Servo High Torque Full Metal Gear Waterproof for RC Model DIY, DS3218MG,Control Angle 270°

I’ve also bought this one for the Typhon but haven’t ran it yet. It will be going in before I run it next as the ADS-15M seems to have died.

DS3225 25KG Coreless Digital RC Servo, Stainless Steel & Aluminum Metal Gear - High Speed High Efficiency High Torque Waterproof Servo for Baja Cars R

I would recommend upgrading the servo saver to the extra heavy duty black Kimbrough large saver if you're going to do the servo. Half the problem is the servo saver.

I would recommend upgrading the servo saver to the extra heavy duty black Kimbrough large saver if you're going to do the servo. Half the problem is the servo saver.
Ever try the ZOSKAY Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear Standard Digital Servo 25KG/0.13S 6.8V ?

Ever try the ZOSKAY Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear Standard Digital Servo 25KG/0.13S 6.8V ?

Yes, I’m running that in my Kraton 4S. Seems pretty good so far.

I got this interesting email directly from SAVOX USA Direct!

Hello,

The only waterproof servo that we currently offer that fits your spec parameters is the SW1210SG. It is 20kg at 6.0V and 32kg at 7.4V. Unfortunately, it is $83.99, and we do not have any other waterproof servos with at least 20kg for your Granite BLX.. FYI, you can find them cheaper if you do a little surfing the net but either way, its a not a cheap upgrade for a plastic truck!

mail

Thank you,
SavoxUSA
2034 South 3850 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
1564801473328.png

Last edited:
What? No. You need to set your dual-rate so that full lock left/right aren't extending the servo past where it can turn the wheels. That's probably 80% of why people break their servos -- they don't set their dual-rate, so everytime they go full left/right it's overextending the servo.

I just noticed this one...

All I do on the STX2 is turn the "ST Rate" all the way down... then turn the wheels to full lock... then turn "ST Rate" up until the wheels don't move anymore, then back it off a bit... Doesn't seem to slow or speed up the steering when you turn this... only limit the end point. Am I right in adjusting the endpoints in this manner? Kind of odd they label this knob "Rate" and not "End Point".

I just noticed this one...

All I do on the STX2 is turn the "ST Rate" all the way down... then turn the wheels to full lock... then turn "ST Rate" up until the wheels don't move anymore, then back it off a bit... Doesn't seem to slow or speed up the steering when you turn this... only limit the end point. Am I right in adjusting the endpoints in this manner? Kind of odd they label this knob "Rate" and not "End Point".

Yeah, pretty much, make sure you set your trim first though. If you really want to be picky, put the car on a stand so the wheels are unloaded in the air while you do this. And then also move the suspension through its whole travel. As the wheels move up and down, they will actually steer in/out a little bit (bumpsteer), and you want to make sure the dual-rate setting is still good through the whole suspension travel.

End Point and Dual-rate are actually a little bit different. Better radios allow you to set left and right end points separately. This should be set to max travel left and right, and are usually slightly different since one side will usually go slightly further than the other.

Once those are set, if you don't actually need full travel, you use steering dual-rate to reduce it by a %, and this will affect both sides equally.

Most RTR radios don't have true end point adjustment, those are basically hard set to a high number and then you can only reduce both sides equally using dual-rate. The TTX300 actually has EPA (hidden adjustment) and dual-rate IIRC, which is pretty rare.

Having just done the 20kg servo in my Granite... I can attest that it is an entirely different machine. No more wandering, no more constant fiddling with steering trims, and grass and asphalt handling is superb, and dirt handling is much more predictable.

Its actually slower than the stock 7kg with no load... but under load is where it actually matters. Plus, adjusting the toe-in can compensate for the loss of over-all servo speed if you're really looking to get the truck to handle better.

All-in-all, the servo alone will only make it better in strength and repeatability/predictability. To really make it handle better you're changing diff fluid, aluminum turn-buckles, aluminum steering bell crank with bearings, and getting the slop out of your stub axles... maybe swapping wheels and tires.

That being said... all those mods won't be as good as they can be without a good, strong servo to push them around.

20-25kg should be the bare-minimum on any 3S or higher RC. The stock one is purely in there to meet a $300 price point.

Wich servo did you use for your granite then? And did it need any modifications

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back