Kraton servo weak with a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathrider

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Mojave
  4. Typhon 6s
My Kraton is a month old, I started having issues with the receiver and servo acting up, it was fixed under warranty, new servo and receiver, the servo is still weak, I replaced it with a high torque Savox and still very weak, as I play with the steering, it gets weaker and weaker to the point where it does not respond anymore, when I turn as I have it lifted off the ground, it has full power and turns great, its just weak when on the ground at standstill, servo saver adjusted, end points adjusted, what could it be? even the hobby store tech says he never seen this before.

I have changed servo to a more powerful one (Savox 1210), tried again to tighten as much as possible servo saver, but my Kraton V3 still has huge steering problems.

For reference, with servo saver tightened to the max possible according to arrma video my wheels do not turn when car is on the ground with no movement (i tighten the saver to the point it does not turn anymore in any direction when manually steering the wheels, so i arrive to a point where i can't nieghter tighten nor loosen).

Don't know what to do now.

I have changed servo to a more powerful one (Savox 1210), tried again to tighten as much as possible servo saver, but my Kraton V3 still has huge steering problems.

For reference, with servo saver tightened to the max possible according to arrma video my wheels do not turn when car is on the ground with no movement (i tighten the saver to the point it does not turn anymore in any direction when manually steering the wheels, so i arrive to a point where i can't nieghter tighten nor loosen).

Don't know what to do now.

I suspect you have adjust the SS all the way loose, rather than all the way tight. I've done this, and when you do, the nut jams against the chassis plate, and is stuck. The only way I was able to get the nut free, was to disassemble the entire servo saver bellcrank assembly.

To double check, look at the bottom of the SS post, and the nut with all the scallops - is it against the chassis? Down is loose. If it is all the way tight, it will be up (you can see threads under it), and the spring will be fully compressed.

If it was all the way tight, the SS could not physically allow the system to slip - so if it really is tight, then you have bigger issues.

FYI, I run a Savox 2270SG, with the SS about half way tight. Sometimes, for no good reason, it will loosen all on it's own, and the steering response goes away, till I tighten it again. Last time thru, I thread-locked it. No more issues recently.

Sorry... :oops:

Sounds kind of like the BEC on the ESC is either failing, or just plain not strong enough. Some Savox servos can cause 'brown outs'. I'd say try adding a BEC booster or a different ESC (if you have a spare known good one handy). Or, try a different servo...

If it is BEC failure, it will act the same with a different servo, but different ESC will fix it.

If it is Brownout, BEC booster should fix it. Different servo may also fix it, if the other servo has a lower amp draw.

Also, the servo could just be going bad...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, it happened even with the original servo, I'm also thinking its the ESC, I have it at the shop and the tech is gonna look it over.

I'd swap the bellcrank bushings out for bearings and shim while you're doing all this...it allows the servo to move more freely. I noticed a difference in the amount my servo mount flexed after doing this...it doesn't flex as much now which tells me the slop and slight misalignment it caused was stressing my servo. It was working more than it needed to before...steering is a little faster now as well.

Your problem lies wwithin the esc. You can get a new one, but I still doubt it will work. Savox servos are power hungry. Stock Bec,s usually lack the current capacity to handle big power servos. Unless you have a mamba x series or tekin rx series controller, you will need to install a cheap castle external Bec. Super easy to install and all your problems will go away for a mere $20.

Moto rider, The problem with this is I was having the same issue even with the original servo

I'd swap the bellcrank bushings out for bearings and shim while you're doing all this...it allows the servo to move more freely. I noticed a difference in the amount my servo mount flexed after doing this...it doesn't flex as much now which tells me the slop and slight misalignment it caused was stressing my servo. It was working more than it needed to before...steering is a little faster now as well.

I will do this, I ordered some bearings that were recommended here thanks

Moto rider, The problem with this is I was having the same issue even with the original servo

Ok, great info. So the Savox is not the issue. That take me back to thinking the BEC in you ESC is going bad.

Or....

Have you checked that the steering moves free? disconnect the servo horn, and manipulate the steering by hand. It should be 'floppy' smooth. If it has more than a very small amount of resistance, start pulling parts, and find where it is binding. As others have said, there are 4 brass bushing on the bell crank posts (top and bottom of each post). They could be in need of cleaning and lube. Also check all pivots and ball joints to make sure they move free. Check the pivot balls that they move free.

Now that I typed that, I see you took to the LSH for them to troubleshoot - hopefully they will find the issue.

Ok so the problem was fixed, it turns out that the servo was installed backwards, my original servo did go out though,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back