Notorious Servo works fine-Wheels won't physically turn right-Please help a newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilinbri

RC is a hobby. Arrma is a lifestyle.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Notorious
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 6s
  6. Vorteks
  7. Infraction 4x4
I need some assistance please. I've researched this and can't locate my exact problem.

I installed a new servo in my Noto6s (brand spankin' new-haven't even driven it yet-this is the last roadblock! :mad:). 1st ever servo install.

The servo appears to be working. It will only turn the wheels left, but the tires won't turn back to center or right at all, even though the servo arms move. When watching it, the right wheel links are being pushed down instead of out to turn the wheel (if that makes sense).

Here are the answers to the questions I know will be asked from my research ;):

*DS3235 servo w/ aluminum servo horn
*Wheels were straightened with rig on, horn off, then centered horn onto servo
*Servo did turn right/left and went back to center on it's own with horn off
*All trim on new Radio Link RC6GS were set to 0
*Completed EPA, but same issues
*Original stock tires
*I did change the front diff oil. Maybe I did something in error putting it all back together?
*The wheels turn fine left and right off the ground, by hand. Servo and wheels work fine together

What else am I not thinking of?

Is it maybe because the other arm on the servo is plastic and not strong enough?

I am sure someone has had this issue before. I am hoping it's just something stoopid or another small part I need to order lol. Still new at all this and learning as I go!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
20220518_201041.jpg

I need some assistance please. I've researched this and can't locate my exact problem.

I installed a new servo in my Noto6s (brand spankin' new-haven't even driven it yet-this is the last roadblock! :mad:). 1st ever servo install.

The servo appears to be working. It will only turn the wheels left, but the tires won't turn back to center or right at all, even though the servo arms move. When watching it, the right wheel links are being pushed down instead of out to turn the wheel (if that makes sense).

Here are the answers to the questions I know will be asked from my research ;):

*DS3235 servo w/ aluminum servo horn
*Wheels were straightened with rig on, horn off, then centered horn onto servo
*Servo did turn right/left and went back to center on it's own with horn off
*All trim on new Radio Link RC6GS were set to 0
*Completed EPA, but same issues
*Original stock tires
*I did change the front diff oil. Maybe I did something in error putting it all back together?
*The wheels turn fine left and right off the ground, by hand. Servo and wheels work fine together

What else am I not thinking of?

Is it maybe because the other arm on the servo is plastic and not strong enough?

I am sure someone has had this issue before. I am hoping it's just something stoopid or another small part I need to order lol. Still new at all this and learning as I go!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
View attachment 218454
Looks like your horn is cracked, but I think it is a clamping one right.

Other then that I'm don't know, but I hope the servo is not faulty since I just ordered one.

Good luck.

Take the horn off the servo.
Center the steering trim on your radio.
Turn the truck and the radio on.
Now, straighten the wheels so that they point straight and then place the horn back on the servo.

Let me know if this helps 👍
Thanks, but did all that (and again just now) and no go. 😔
Looks like your horn is cracked, but I think it is a clamping one right.

Other then that I'm don't know, but I hope the servo is not faulty since I just ordered one.

Good luck.
Yea, its the clamping type. It all fits nicely and servo arms move fine...I don't think it's the servo itself.

Alrighty remove the horn and try moving the linkage to turn the wheels by hand. Is there binding anywhere?

I have the exact same set up you do the servo has plenty of power. If you're using the arm it came with there might be a lateral screw that helps tighten to the teeth on the servo which may need tightening.

Actually Can you take a picture from the side?
You have that linkage mounted underneath the arm..unless they changed it recently the arm it came with needs the linkage to be mounted above the arm..it'll catch and rub otherwise.

IMG_20220422_141932309_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Ummmmm.....yeeeaaahhhh.....they don't turn at all when I use the linkage by hand- Lol Something with the server saver maybe? Something screwed in too tight?
20220518_213552.jpg
20220518_213651.jpg
20220518_213526.jpg

You should be able to push and pull the linkage with basically no resistance and the wheels should move accordingly.

If there's no resistance and the wheels don't move could be your servo saver is too loose.

If there is a lot of resistance or you can't move the linkage then there is binding somewhere. Whether that be the servo saver, the Ackerman bar or linkage related or all the above 😅

Got the chassis screws all secured? Top screws? Can you move the Ackerman bar side to side?

Probably gonna need more pics

K.....sorry...I'm the type to research, research, research and "I'm gonna figure this sh!t out!" Lol You gave me a lot of good places to continue.

Def binding issue
The left bell crank is flush when it is turned left, but has a gap as soon as it turns right. (Brace is on correctly on top plate though). This isn't issue but may lead to it.

All screws are screwed! (y)

I can turn the Ack bar holding the links. Hard to turn though.

Appears I may have to take top plate and bell crank arms thingys (whatever they r called....Im tired-lol) off until I can determine what's binding. 🤷‍♂️😭🤪

Top pic is wheels turned left........bottom is not left lol
20220518_225443.jpg
20220518_225507.jpg

I know I'll eventually figure it out, it just sucks big donkey d!^k! I JUS WANNA PLAY!!!! 🤬

Check your pillow balls if they are too tight it will struggle to turn. You don't want them hemaned on they should be slightly loose to allow for movement.

Check your pillow balls if they are too tight it will struggle to turn. You don't want them hemaned on they should be slightly loose to allow for movement.
Roger that! Gonna check that right after my cigg and 🥣 ! ;)(y)🤪

THANK YOU!!!! Simple fix! I feel stoopid. Lol This was the first time I have ever really worked on a rig RTR right outta the box. Changing dIff oils, checking shims, adjusting shocks, replacing receiver, new transmitter, replacing servo! Whew! I really got into it my 1st time, but pretty proud of myself! Heck, 2 months ago I had no clue how to do this, or what a planetary gear was (is that at the planetarium? :ROFLMAO: ). I've learned so much....mainly from this awesome forum and awesome peeps like you all!!!!!

Slick/Crunchy-Thanks so much for your assistance! (y)👊 It is truly appreciated!!

Rob66-Aint the servo, so u r good! 👍

Too freaking bad it's now past midnight and pouring! Hopefully she'll get her maiden run tomorrow!!!

Peace and Love!! ✌️

THANK YOU!!!! Simple fix! I feel stoopid. Lol This was the first time I have ever really worked on a rig RTR right outta the box. Changing dIff oils, checking shims, adjusting shocks, replacing receiver, new transmitter, replacing servo! Whew! I really got into it my 1st time, but pretty proud of myself! Heck, 2 months ago I had no clue how to do this, or what a planetary gear was (is that at the planetarium? :ROFLMAO: ). I've learned so much....mainly from this awesome forum and awesome peeps like you all!!!!!

Slick/Crunchy-Thanks so much for your assistance! (y)👊 It is truly appreciated!!

Rob66-Aint the servo, so u r good! 👍

Too freaking bad it's now past midnight and pouring! Hopefully she'll get her maiden run tomorrow!!!

Peace and Love!! ✌️
Please relocktight your grub screw on pinion before taking it out.
Number 1 thing I see and here from others is it going poof first run then yes its a safeD motor shaft so you don't lose it and mar the shaft but they eat the pinion teeth and have to stop using it there is a sadly small amount of locktight on that screw for thee 50-60k RPM it will see.

Is the bottom screw of the servo horn rubbing against the servo when the servo arm turns? I think that servo is taller than the stock one. You also need to use the right length servo horn (same as stock), you can't just grab any ol' horn.
Thanks! Appreciate ya. Gotta it working. It was lack of experience 😔

Fyi...nope, not rubbing at all, fits perfectly 👍

Servo is not taller than stock. I made sure during my research as I didn't want to deal with adjusting everything else lol

Servo horn is exact length and depth (for servo connection) as stock. Works like a charm!
What was it?
Stoopid pillow balls and my lack of experience lol

Servo is not taller than stock. I made sure during my research as I didn't want to deal with adjusting everything else lol

Servo horn is exact length and depth (for servo connection) as stock. Works like a charm!

Nice. Now go break something else and figure out how fix it lol.

First time I replaced the axle carriers on my Merv I couldn't figure out why the arms were so hard to move then I couldn't figure out why the aluminum pillow ball retainers kept coming loose in the aluminum axle carriers, I didn't know I needed locktite :facepalm:

My talion and my kraton both kicked the grub in the first run buddy just got a talion it made a few 4s passes first 6s gone brother got the mojave last year and didn't even make it 1 pack but in his case he lost the eclip as well and the pinion was no were to be found. Its no wonder why just pull the grub out of your high speed gear if you got it with your new car and the little blue dots all that's holding the one in the car out of the box.

Its just another thing with the arrma 6S cars like shimming your diffs and setting droop screw.

My talion and my kraton both kicked the grub in the first run buddy just got a talion it made a few 4s passes first 6s gone brother got the mojave last year and didn't even make it 1 pack but in his case he lost the eclip as well and the pinion was no were to be found. Its no wonder why just pull the grub out of your high speed gear if you got it with your new car and the little blue dots all that's holding the one in the car out of the box.

Its just another thing with the arrma 6S cars like shimming your diffs and setting droop screw.
Thanks for the tip! Pulled it out and smothered it in super glue! That bit<h ain't goin' anywhere!! :ROFLMAO:

J/K-blue threadlock and tightened it till my fingers bled! ;)

Rained overnight but it's supposed to be 70s and sunny by noon so after my dentist appointment this morning I'll be takin' her out!!!

Appreciate you guys! Have a great Thursday!!! ✌️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back