Servos!!! Brushed vs Coreless vs Brushless What’s people’s preference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions, maybe some facts if anyone has any😉? Apologies in advance for all the questions, any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated😁.

I remember looking up the differences when I bought my first servo and going for coreless, for the faster speed vs brushed but also being a fair bit cheaper than the brushless ones (although the difference isn’t so big these days). Since then that’s all I’ve used, usually the cheap eco boost servos from China. They’ve always been pretty decent for me, more reliable, faster and more powerful than the stock, which obviously isn’t hard🙄.

I’ve seen a lot of discussions about servos on this forum and it seems the consensus is that it needs to be at least 35kg for a 1/8th car, maybe a certain brand too but usually no mention of anything else. In fact the servo I most often see recommended is just the cheapo Amazon light blue or sometimes red servos. Unless I’m wrong I think those are usually DC brushed servos. Are these really the best servos to use? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone talk about the type of servo motor, or the speed, just the strength. What are peoples opinions on the other factors?

I mostly buy from Aliexpress these days, roughly speaking a 35kg brushed servo is £10-£15, coreless is £25-£30, brushless is £30-£40. Is the speed of brushless only necessary for high speed precision driving? Which is the most reliable kind for bashing? I don’t mind paying more for a servo if I replace it less, even if it’s not cost effective, less breakages means fewer bashing sessions cut short😆.

I’ve never bought brushed DC motors because I just associate brushed motors with being slow and crap, are they good enough for bashing? Maybe cheap and reliable is best🤷🏻‍♂️

I also don’t really get this whole 35kg minimum thing, I’ve had 25kg servos before and they seemed fine. Maybe on my kraton or x-maxx with the bigger wheels and heavier bodies, but it’s never felt necessary on my typhon, granite, maxx. Are the higher torqued servos less likely to break while bashing?

In case it’s relevant I mostly do skate park bashing in winter and a mix of woods and skate parks in summer.

I primarily use brushless servos if I am replacing an RTR servo. Coreless would be my second choice, but only if a RC vehicle came with one already installed.

I use 25kg for most of my servos: I've never felt the need for anything higher. My favorite servo is the Powerhobby 729MBL: I own several.

https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-729mbl.html

I primarily use brushless servos if I am replacing an RTR servo. Coreless would be my second choice, but only if a RC vehicle came with one already installed.

I use 25kg for most of my servos: I've never felt the need for anything higher. My favorite servo is the Powerhobby 729MBL: I own several.

https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-729mbl.html
+1 those servo take a beating I’ve had countless amount of nasty wrecks and it never lost its center.

My personal favorite are savox and AGFRC

I've only tried a few different servos in my time in the hobby. First servo was the core less Amazon special and I thought it was awesome and better than stock. Then I tried the brushless hobby star servo and there was no going back after that. I won't buy another cheap Amazon servo when I can spend a few more coins and get a brushless. I don't know if the difference was down to coreless vs brushless or what but it was better in every way. Especially the return to center.

I found some amazing cheap servos on aliexpress recently. 80 kg brushless for 50$ and it works great so far. Have to test durability but these things are amazing so far and beat literally every thing else I've seen for price/performance. They even give you spare gears.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804094242829.html

Just put this thing in our 1/6th scale Traxxas xrt's and it's swinging around 1/5th scale tires like they're nothing.

Last edited:
I found some amazing cheap servos on aliexpress recently. 80 kg brushless for 50$ and it works great so far. Have to test durability but these things are amazing so far and beat literally every thing else I've seen for price/performance. They even give you spare gears.

Just put this thing in our 1/6th scale Traxxas xrt's and it's swinging around 1/5th scale tires like they're nothing.

Huh, that's intriguing, thanks! If they came anywhere close to their claimed specs, that would be pretty awesome.

They are kind of loud but they're definitely fast and powerful.
That’s amazing, I recently bought something similar From Aliexpress just waiting for delivery😅. Not quite that much torque but close. I was dubious about the brushless thing as I never see people recommend them on here but now I can’t wait to give it a go. That’ll be the next servo I buy when the X-Maxx needs a new servo! 80kg is a crazy amount of torque 🤪

They are kind of loud but they're definitely fast and powerful.
Wow! That is impressively fast! What voltage are you running at? And yours is the 50kg ($53), or 80kg ($64)?

I haven't tried this test yet with my truck, and my stock servo will be pretty bad.

But it might be interesting to put it up on blocks, spin up the motor, and then crank the steering back and forth, to see how it manages when the tires are acting like gyroscopes. That puts a bigger load on the servo, requiring more torque, and also being more representative of actual driving.

Last edited:
I've only tried a few different servos in my time in the hobby. First servo was the core less Amazon special and I thought it was awesome and better than stock. Then I tried the brushless hobby star servo and there was no going back after that. I won't buy another cheap Amazon servo when I can spend a few more coins and get a brushless. I don't know if the difference was down to coreless vs brushless or what but it was better in every way. Especially the return to center.

Indeed bought 1 and another for my Xmaxx great servos for the price. $40 for GX 80kg. It’s not 80kg but it’s more then enough to push around my 220mm tire with ease.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back