Big Rock Set Up & First week impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcwelder76

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
So it’s been a week. I’m now in the process of getting the truck set up. Seems to be more working-tinkering-fixing than driving. I’m really learning the finer points of setting the slipper clutch- too tight= immediate speed, wheelies, cartwheels and snapped axles. Too loose and loss of power followed by loosening itself out completely and ultimately no power at all. Tall grass is what it really does best on but is really hard on the axles. I’ve already taken the truck apart and filled the diffs with 30k up front& 15 in the rear, was hoping this would dial in the pull to left during hard acceleration. Didn’t fix, but sorta feels smoother. I did this while waiting for my new axles to show up from horizon hobby. I’m really impressed on how easy it is to reach out to them over a warranty concern and their quick response. I just today received a set of rear axles from them. So far I’ve taken the clutch out several times/ cleaning-setting-resetting and cleaning again. I’m learning that once the axle is snapped there is no popping back in for a permanent fix. Are the upgraded axles really worth it? Now I’m on to playing with the punch and brake settings. It seems to me that these trucks have so many variables right out of the box that a person really does need to experiment for a while before it becomes more manageable/ bulletproof. My goal is to have it set up for the kids and myself with just the aide of the 50%75%100% throttle settings in the controller and not constantly have to fix driveshafts. I do appreciate all the tips I’ve learned from this site and will gladly return the favor in any way if I can.

I will be interested in your findings, repairs and upgrades. I just purchased one for my 6 year old grandson (second RC car for him).

So it’s been a week. I’m now in the process of getting the truck set up. Seems to be more working-tinkering-fixing than driving. I’m really learning the finer points of setting the slipper clutch- too tight= immediate speed, wheelies, cartwheels and snapped axles. Too loose and loss of power followed by loosening itself out completely and ultimately no power at all. Tall grass is what it really does best on but is really hard on the axles. I’ve already taken the truck apart and filled the diffs with 30k up front& 15 in the rear, was hoping this would dial in the pull to left during hard acceleration. Didn’t fix, but sorta feels smoother. I did this while waiting for my new axles to show up from horizon hobby. I’m really impressed on how easy it is to reach out to them over a warranty concern and their quick response. I just today received a set of rear axles from them. So far I’ve taken the clutch out several times/ cleaning-setting-resetting and cleaning again. I’m learning that once the axle is snapped there is no popping back in for a permanent fix. Are the upgraded axles really worth it? Now I’m on to playing with the punch and brake settings. It seems to me that these trucks have so many variables right out of the box that a person really does need to experiment for a while before it becomes more manageable/ bulletproof. My goal is to have it set up for the kids and myself with just the aide of the 50%75%100% throttle settings in the controller and not constantly have to fix driveshafts. I do appreciate all the tips I’ve learned from this site and will gladly return the favor in any way if I can.

Thx for the post....

Being here for over a year plus and new to this hobby with the Granite and latest Big Rock I have found it to be good out the box. However to your point, there is a smaller number in your boat with issues out the box. The servo is weak but one can wait until it goes out before changing. Slipper I hear about but I have not touched mine. Most common are the tires coming out of the hub since the factory did not use loctite but an easy fix.

I am 49 and just want to bash to relax will never nor never plan to be a pro-RC driver. One of the best upgrades I did for ME was putting in an AVC receiver so when I hit the throttle out of turns, jumpc, etc. whatever it lines up and speed out in a straight line self-aligning itself. This makes bashing for me more fun so I can place it where I want it...control.

Good luck...they are good bashers but I do imagine those new hires on the assembly line can mess up some RCs.

Thanks for the reply parcou I’ll definitely be looking into the avc receiver.👍

Old video but gives a good comparison. At 5:28min in what sold it for me because I like to run in dirt areas like this and my buddy farmland and it keeps spinning around just had no fun with all that 3S 4x4 power....the AVC gave me the joy I needed and control at his dirty farm and track we made....

Last edited:
I have the same issue with the cvds. I had mines set to 2.5 turns from stock and that worked for a while until the slipper heated up and then I found that I had no spring. Waiting for the upgrade cvds

I’m really impressed on how easy it is to reach out to them over a warranty concern and their quick response.
Interesting, we have exact opposite opinions on HH warranty issues...and I have dealt with them a lot over the past few months (Axial Ryft).

With that said I haven’t had any issues with my BRCC, and the only setup I’ve done is check slippper and thread lock the axle drives.

Old video but gives a good comparison. At 5:28min in what sold it for me because I like to run in dirt areas like this and my buddy farmland and it keeps spinning around just had no fun with all that 3S 4x4 power....the AVC gave me the joy I needed and control at his dirty farm and track we made....

Hmm it does drive very differently w the AVC.

Hmm it does drive very differently w the AVC.

Again this is an old video when AVC was coming on the scene and he is just using the AVC know on the radio. The DX5C has 3 AVC gains you can control over the single radio knob for just one gain. At the worse, you can just disable it....but again not pushing it all about personal choice and taste and research... (y)

Again this is an old video when AVC was coming on the scene and he is just using the AVC know on the radio. The DX5C has 3 AVC gains you can control over the single radio knob for just one gain. At the worse, you can just disable it....but again not pushing it all about personal choice and taste and research... (y)
Thanks Parcou. 🤘🏽

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back