Setting BEC to 6.0 Good for S652 Servo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAnOutcast

compulsive over-thinker, I think. 🤔
Reaction score
Just had LHS guy tell me to set the BEC Voltage on the Firma 150A ESC to 6.0, down from the factory default of 7.4, and it would help protect the S652 and its high failure rate.

Any truth to this? If so, what performance hit(s) would be noticeable for general bashing?

Thanks for all comments!

I'm one for hearing that the stock servos fail because the no one takes the time to set the endpoints, but that's just me. I'm also one to believe that the BEC is set to 6.0 stock. HOWEVER, I can and will gladly be wrong if this is not the case.

Razor RC has a couple videos detailing how to set up your servo and how to properly set up a new servo.

I would still run it at 7.4V until it failed and then buy a quality servo
Or maybe go ahead and buy a quality servo and keep stock one as spare?
stock servos fail because the no one takes the time to set the endpoints
I think this happened to me. New truck less than a month old and servo quit, and I hadn’t adjusted endpoints. Dumb thing is I had watched razors video about out of the box calibrations. 🤪
Thankfully HH got a replacement out quickly and I learned a lesson.

Last edited:
If it is under warranty, I don't think you need to lower BEC. If you are buying a new servo once yours quits, buy a good servo and have the stock as spare. Is this for the outcast? AGFRC, Perfect Pass, Reefs RC, and promodeler make good servos.

I'm also one to believe that the BEC is set to 6.0 stock.
Manual shows 7.4 is default but I haven’t verified that it’s actually set to that.

8459D22E-661B-4503-BBF1-0BBA33A21FFC.jpeg

@JustAnOutcast The take away being you learned from your lesson. Most don't (and refuse!)
I might be an idiot, but I don’t plan on staying one. 😂

Manual shows 7.4 is default but I haven’t verified that it’s actually set to that.

View attachment 259719

I might be an idiot, but I don’t plan on staying one. 😂
Had a small feeling I might have been wrong (and that's okay!) I wonder if different ESC's are set to different BEC's? ... all these acronyms make me want to take a BMW to KFC ...

AGFRC, Perfect Pass, Reefs RC, and promodeler make good servos.
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve already reached out to ProModeler with questions but haven’t heard back yet. Will look into the others as well. Saw a ProTek PTK-130T at LHS today for $89 but haven’t done any research on that one.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve already reached out to ProModeler with questions but haven’t heard back yet. Will look into the others as well. Saw a ProTek PTK-130T at LHS today for $89 but haven’t done any research on that one.
I also forgot protek is pretty good too.

While you are at it, change motor timing to 11.25.
Yet another reason for ESC failure rate the way it is.
I’ll try backing it down one more, thanks. I had changed it from the default 22.5 to 15 to help with motor temperature…
They are.. still rolling strong in the felony and mega, weird huh, I expected them to go pretty soon
Have you made changes to any of the other default ESC settings?

If it is under warranty, I don't think you need to lower BEC. If you are buying a new servo once yours quits, buy a good servo and have the stock as spare. Is this for the outcast? AGFRC, Perfect Pass, Reefs RC, and promodeler make good servos.
Having thought on this way too much (compulsive over-thinker here) this is good advice. Keep everything stock until warranty runs out…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back