Granite Setting brake level - Any difference between using ESC "break strength" vs. Transmitter "brake rate"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a new Granite and got a DX5 transmitter. The DX5 has the ability to adjust "brake rate" from 0 to 100%. The advantage is that you can adjust "brake rate" on the fly from the transmitter. So is there any difference from setting the transmitter "brake rate" to 62.5% (with ESC at 100% brake strength) versus setting the ESC "brake strength" to 62.5%?

I have a new Granite and got a DX5 transmitter. The DX5 has the ability to adjust "brake rate" from 0 to 100%. The advantage is that you can adjust "brake rate" on the fly from the transmitter. So is there any difference from setting the transmitter "brake rate" to 62.5% (with ESC at 100% brake strength) versus setting the ESC "brake strength" to 62.5%?
I leave the brake rate at 100% on the radio for the full range and adjust ESC settings instead, mostly because changing the brake rate on the transmitter also changes the reverse rate because the radio doesn't distinguish brake and reverse, the ESC does

Yep, as above^ I suspect you will get higher brake resolution doing it solely on the esc too.

I leave the brake rate at 100% on the radio for the full range and adjust ESC settings instead, mostly because changing the brake rate on the transmitter also changes the reverse rate because the radio doesn't distinguish brake and reverse, the ESC does
Thanks guys, some preliminary tests confirm both your replies.

Thanks guys, some preliminary tests confirm both your replies.
I do the opposite but I have a nicer radio. Generally I'll leave the car maxed out on all settings and adjust via transmitter.

However with stock electronics this is probably the best bet.

As an update I'd like to say I'm using a little bit of both approaches. Indeed reducing the brake rate using the transmitter decreases the reverse speed, so reducing to 37.5% on the transmitter alone would result in a REALLY slow reverse speed.

When jumping/flipping I've found 37.5% brake rate is really good for air control. The stock esc brake level is way too drastic for air control and even 50% results in drastic forward tilt.

However when running on concrete, 37.5% brake rate doesn't provide enough brake to spin/skid the car around quickly, 50% does. And during speed runs, 37.5% brake does not slow down the car fast enough.

My solution, 50% brake rate on the ESC when there are no jumps around. When jumping I use the transmitter to reduce the brake rate to 75%. 75% of the ESC at 50% is 37.5% and it reacts the same as the ESC at 37.5% in the air. At the same time, reverse speed is slowed down a little bit, but 75% reverse speed is fine, after all, there is rarely a time when you need to go backwards at full speed.

EDIT: I've gotten better at jumping, turned up the ESC brake back to the default 62.5%, and I'm able to get good air control. Turning down the brake may still be a good idea if you're starting out and you find the car is nosediving too hard when you hit the brake.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back