Talion Setting the Talion up for jumps, high landings & back flips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braam

Reaction score
So, I've had my Talion 6s V3 for two weeks now (first RC in like 12 years - 1st Brushless too - other cars were Nitro back in the day).

I never thought it could be THIS much fun ! I've probably done over 200 jumps by now - visiting the downhill mountain bike track daily - sometimes twice daily, before and after work. It turns out I'm way more into the jumps thing than I thought ( see pics attached).

This thing flies through the air so well, so well balanced and it can take a hit !Nothing broken to date - just cut a tire over the weekend on some sharp rocks:banghead:

So in therms of getting this baby to be able to handle these jumps I have:

1. Installed a wooden dowel t2t brace (no T2T braces in stock at supplier)
2. Reinforced the inside of the body with shoe glue, fiberglass tape and Gorilla tape
3. Covered the entire chassis underneath with fiberglass tape and Gorilla tape
4. Installed a 5 minute DIY high density foam bumper

Yea that's about it.

So I was wondering what else you'd suggest I get to better equip this guy to take hard landings and do back flips:

1. Diff Oil ? What rating oil on which diff ?
2. Shock oil ? Do I need to put more / better oil in ?
3. Shocks ? Can I put Kraton shocks / Springs on her ?
4. What shock pre-load setting would you use ?
5. Tires ? What tires can I fit to better absorb shock AND make back flips easier without hurting the servo ?

What would you guys do ?
Best Regards
Braam

From a VERY proud South African ( South Africa Won the Rugby World Cup Championships this weekend ! World Champs 1995, 2007 and 2019 - the World Cup is only played once every 4 years) ???

Attachments

• 20191024_101251.jpg
    20191024_101251.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20191024_101728.jpg
    20191024_101728.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191028_205501.jpg
    20191028_205501.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20191028_205701.jpg
    20191028_205701.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20191028_210705.jpg
    20191028_210705.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191029_202905.jpg
    20191029_202905.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191024_194958.jpg
    20191024_194958.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 63
  • 20191026_184106.jpg
    20191026_184106.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 59
So, I've had my Talion 6s V3 for two weeks now (first RC in like 12 years - 1st Brushless too - other cars were Nitro back in the day).

I never thought it could be THIS much fun ! I've probably done over 200 jumps by now - visiting the downhill mountain bike track daily - sometimes twice daily, before and after work. It turns out I'm way more into the jumps thing than I thought ( see pics attached).

This thing flies through the air so well, so well balanced and it can take a hit !Nothing broken to date - just cut a tire over the weekend on some sharp rocks:banghead:

So in therms of getting this baby to be able to handle these jumps I have:

1. Installed a wooden dowel t2t brace (no T2T braces in stock at supplier)
2. Reinforced the inside of the body with shoe glue, fiberglass tape and Gorilla tape
3. Covered the entire chassis underneath with fiberglass tape and Gorilla tape
4. Installed a 5 minute DIY high density foam bumper

Yea that's about it.

So I was wondering what else you'd suggest I get to better equip this guy to take hard landings and do back flips:

1. Diff Oil ? What rating oil on which diff ?
2. Shock oil ? Do I need to put more / better oil in ?
3. Shocks ? Can I put Kraton shocks / Springs on her ?
4. What shock pre-load setting would you use ?
5. Tires ? What tires can I fit to better absorb shock AND make back flips easier without hurting the servo ?

What would you guys do ?
Best Regards
Braam

From a VERY proud South African ( South Africa Won the Rugby World Cup Championships this weekend ! World Champs 1995, 2007 and 2019 - the World Cup is only played once every 4 years) ???
I would be watching @Rich Duperbash and @RC DUDE81 videos on YouTube for what they use. If Rich and Eric endorse something, it’s the real deal. ??

I would only change the tires to the 4s line tires (either the MINOKAWA LP or the BACK-FLIPS LP), while they are not too heavy, they add enough weight to improve air control and also add cushion for landings compared to the stock wheels.
Thanks Yonic ! Ordering the 4s Minokawa as we speak !

Any thoughts on diff and shock oil ?
Needed and if so what K rating ?

Lastly, can you swop out the 4 talion shocks for the corresponding Kraton shocks ?

Last edited:
Thanks Yonic ! Ordering the 4s Minokawa as we speak !

Any thoughts on diff and shock oil ?
Needed and if so what K rating ?

Lastly, can you swop out the 4 talion shocks for the corresponding Kraton shocks ?
As for jumping, diff oil doesn't really matter, and the talion shocks already use heavy shock oil, so I don't think you need to get higher.

As for using Kraton shocks, they are much longer, so they won't be a good fit, if you wasn't to use them you'll need to also change the shock towers, and in that case the body will no longer fit and you'll need to change the body and mounts as well, and then the wing mount if you don't want it to look awkward... in short, no.

So again, as I said in the post above, I would only change the wheels.

... in short, no.
Thanks for the detailed explanation Yonic !

As for jumping, diff oil doesn't really matter, and the talion shocks already use heavy shock oil, so I don't think you need to get higher.
Thanks - I suppose I'll only want thicker diff oil (K rating ? ) if I do High Speed runs ?

@Cr3pitus mentioned using Kraton springs on theTalion shocks. That combined with the bigger tires and my T2T brace, high density foam bumper and 4 layers of fibreglass tape on the belly of the chassis should set her up nicely I think (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back