Granite Sharing my formula for 2S brushless Mega for reliability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funcentric

Reaction score
I got tired of repairs of my Big Rock 3S BLX and when I saw the Typhon Mega for $165 shipped (also working on a Granite Mega v1 that I got for $144), I figured it would be a good opportunity to build a 2S car to see if reliability would improve. Spoiler alert, it has. After having driven a couple dozen packs during my progress, I've noticed that the public sees 28mph as "fast". I agree. 18mph out of the box for a Typhon Mega is super slow. Not just the top speed, but the acceleration is lackluster at best. Many have reported the brushed motor and/or ESC dies prematurely so I just saw my Typhon Mega as possibly a roller - no electronics. I would have to put my own in.

Running the calculations for a top speed of around 30mph for dirt track use, I selected these components and have been very happy with it. This won't be for speed runs nor skate parks but for bashing around and track racing, it's ideal as I'm more of a fan of driving the thing than repairing it or waiting for parts.

My formula here: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChidVudPwZa/

I would have just got a 3s Blx 4x4 and run it on 2s. Most efficient cost effective way to approach it.
I always felt 3s and 4s on this 4x4 platform always eats up the drivetrain, constantly being a slave to repairing it, and all, also being a slipper clutched drivetrain. (n) I see what many here on AF go through. I think this 4x4 Arrma platform was stretched too far as power goes. Great for the RC vendors/Arrma. Always selling parts, where the profit is.
Sure you can slam it with beaucoup upgrades, just that you are clearly in Arrma 6s line $territory$ at this point.:giggle:
When you do the $math$. I see some drop $1k into their 4x4's. :unsure:
I have never reached that $$$ spent with any of my 6s line rigs. Can I ? Sure. Easily. Never needed to. Much in upgrades is just Bling anyway, with unecessary weight. Weight that additionally taxes the drivetrain further. Like F and R 4x4 axels that snap etc., in the case of 4x4's.
My wallet agrees.;)

Last edited:
I would have just got a 3s Blx 4x4 and run it on 2s. Most efficient cost effective way to approach it.
I always felt 3s and 4s on this 4x4 platform always eats up the drivetrain, constantly being a slave to repairing it, and all, also being a slipper clutched drivetrain. (n) I see what many here on AF go through. I think this 4x4 Arrma platform was stretched too far as power goes. Great for the RC vendors/Arrma. Always selling parts, where the profit is.
Sure you can slam it with beaucoup upgrades, just that you are clearly in Arrma 6s line $territory$ at this point.:giggle:
When you do the $math$. I see some drop $1k into their 4x4's. :unsure:
I have never reached that $$$ spent with any of my 6s line rigs. Can I ? Sure. Easily. Never needed to. Much in upgrades is just Bling anyway, with unecessary weight. Weight that additionally taxes the drivetrain further. Like F and R 4x4 axels that snap etc., in the case of 4x4's.
My wallet agrees.;)
😉 You know I’ll always be the devils advocate on the Arrma 3s line. I love them. They are fantastic as long as they are built and driven within their means. And yes I absolutely agree anything above those means is 6s territory, which is why I have a couple of those for when needed. But if you have a limited room or can only run at the neighborhood park after you pick the kid up from school… a big rock, granite etc is perfect for a daily basher.

The power system of a 3S being run on 2S feels laggy though - a lot of sacrifice doing that. A lot different from a 2S rig geared for that specific voltage. I've loving my 2S Senton much more than my 3S Big Rock for sure. But the current sale on the Big Rock for $270 might make others think twice.

The power system of a 3S being run on 2S feels laggy though - a lot of sacrifice doing that. A lot different from a 2S rig geared for that specific voltage. I've loving my 2S Senton much more than my 3S Big Rock for sure. But the current sale on the Big Rock for $270 might make others think twice.
+1
2s with a pin. gear change Up will always be the ticket. Only 2 teeth larger can sometimes make all the difference. I tell everyone, don't knock it till you try it first.:) 3s can be 1/3 heavier. FWIW. If you want to split hairs. :giggle:
An inexpensive pinion gear can work for you.
Many never even consider a simple pinion gear change, whether larger or smaller, and are quick to drop $$ on a motor and /or ESC first.:rolleyes:
I see this all over AF here, and elsewhere.
It isn't the 3s ESC being run on 2s that is any issue.
It is the gearing that needs to accomodate the 2s voltage. Generally gearing up. I always felt the extra Amp overhead is a plus when on 2s. More efficent and runs cooler if geared properly. Easier to control. Same holds true when I run 4s with my 6s ESC's.

Last edited:
I got tired of repairs of my Big Rock 3S BLX and when I saw the Typhon Mega for $165 shipped (also working on a Granite Mega v1 that I got for $144), I figured it would be a good opportunity to build a 2S car to see if reliability would improve. Spoiler alert, it has. After having driven a couple dozen packs during my progress, I've noticed that the public sees 28mph as "fast". I agree. 18mph out of the box for a Typhon Mega is super slow. Not just the top speed, but the acceleration is lackluster at best. Many have reported the brushed motor and/or ESC dies prematurely so I just saw my Typhon Mega as possibly a roller - no electronics. I would have to put my own in.

Running the calculations for a top speed of around 30mph for dirt track use, I selected these components and have been very happy with it. This won't be for speed runs nor skate parks but for bashing around and track racing, it's ideal as I'm more of a fan of driving the thing than repairing it or waiting for parts.

My formula here: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChidVudPwZa/
Just an FYI, those of us without Instagram can not see content that you post there that is meant for here...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back