Kraton Sheared the Wing Mount screws clean off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraith405

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Got my new shiny M2C Rear Tower on my Kraton. 3 packs in, everything's running well, and I go for a double backflip.... It didn't end well lol. Probably because I am the world's least talented driver.

The truck came down hard on the Wing mount and sheared off both screws flat with the shock tower! So this is gonna be a mess to fix.

Anybody got tips for getting these broken screw pieces out of there? And also, are the metal wing mounts worth using?

IMG_3371.jpg

Got my new shiny M2C Rear Tower on my Kraton. 3 packs in, everything's running well, and I go for a double backflip.... It didn't end well lol. Probably because I am the world's least talented driver.

The truck came down hard on the Wing mount and sheared off both screws flat with the shock tower! So this is gonna be a mess to fix.

Anybody got tips for getting these broken screw pieces out of there? And also, are the metal wing mounts worth using?

View attachment 112748
Rpm wing mount. And take the tower off, just undo the last two screws holding it to the bulkhead. Grab the nubs nice and tight with some good pliers twist and out they will come. Replace with new cap heads and away you go. Just make sure the new cap heads are long enough to make it all the way through you can use longer but not shorter screws.

Rpm wing mount. And take the tower off, just undo the last two screws holding it to the bulkhead. Grab the nubs nice and tight with some good pliers twist and out they will come. Replace with new cap heads and away you go. Just make sure the new cap heads are long enough to make it all the way through you can use longer but not shorter screws.
I've done this so many time (due to the fact I always use sub 12.9 screws as replacements). The screw always breaks at the same place, I'm wondering if it would be easier to actually thread the screw in from the inner side first and then put a locking nut at the end. That way when it breaks again the screw can just be unscrewed without taking the shock tower off.

Worked like a charm! I'll pickup that RPM wing mount. I don't think anything else is broken so that's great!

I've done this so many time (due to the fact I always use sub 12.9 screws as replacements). The screw always breaks at the same place, I'm wondering if it would be easier to actually thread the screw in from the inner side first and then put a locking nut at the end. That way when it breaks again the screw can just be unscrewed without taking the shock tower off.

That might be worth a shot. I'll get some long screws when I pickup a new mount and we'll see if that actually works. I could see it being very difficult to tighten down as the screw would likely just spin and you wouldn't be able to get a screwdriver in there from the front to hold/tighten it because of where the tail mounts sit over the holes.

Worked like a charm! I'll pickup that RPM wing mount. I don't think anything else is broken so that's great!

That might be worth a shot. I'll get some long screws when I pickup a new mount and we'll see if that actually works. I could see it being very difficult to tighten down as the screw would likely just spin and you wouldn't be able to get a screwdriver in there from the front to hold/tighten it because of where the tail mounts sit over the holes.
Just order some 12.9 cap screws from amazon, you are gunna snap them it happens. It would be an absolute pita to try and thred them through backwards. I break so many screws it's gross, I am ordering some 12.9 sets this week.

I put 4mm High Tensile bolts in mine they didn't break yet but I still bent them on a bad landing. The stock bolts are stupidly small IMO

I had to drill mine out because the stock bolt snapped off inside the bulk head
I just drilled out the stock wing mount hole to 3.5mm and then did the same with where it goes through the bulk head, then I used a 4mm tap to fit my 4mm bolt. I wouldn't recommend doing this though as all the stock and aftermarket wing mounts you will buy, wont fit the 4mm bolt and you will need to modify them as well. I just installed a RPM wing mount and had to modify that by drilling out the mounting hole to fit the 4mm bolt.

View attachment 112748
I have the same issue with mine , I am sure this may not be a popular idea, I am thinking about simply not using those screws anymore. I also have the m2c shock tower, m2c shock tower braces, and the m2c rear chassis brace, and with all of that stuff the wing mount fits so tight that I can not wiggle the wing mount without those screws. My idea being if I crash hard enough to break it , and I will of course crash that hard , it's gonna break anyways , at least now I don't have the extra work to replace the mount. I tried the rpm one , but it didn't fit with the m2c rear shock tower braces.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back