Infraction Shim diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RcRookie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey guys , noob question. I've had my infraction for about 2 weeks now and I have heard a few people talking about shimming the diffs? Is this necessary? It's my first 6s so I'm not really familiar with this. I've also heard that the factory ore installs a washer inside. Thanks for the help!

Ah ok. Nobody seems to talk about it so I assume it's fine.

I personally did not shim the diffs. Upon checking them after reading here as well, they didn't have enough wiggle/play to add any shims. I think some rigs may need it, some may not.

The V4 series of diffs (includes 1/7 scale rigs) all come shimmed from the factory. Some people prefer to use a larger diff between the o-ring seal and the outdrive pin. The stock one is wide enough to protect the seal, but not as large as the pin. The larger Mugen shims are as big as the pin to support it and hopefully keep it from breaking. I would say wait until you break something to make this change, but guys who love wrenching may do it immediately.

The V4 series of diffs (includes 1/7 scale rigs) all come shimmed from the factory. Some people prefer to use a larger diff between the o-ring seal and the outdrive pin. The stock one is wide enough to protect the seal, but not as large as the pin. The larger Mugen shims are as big as the pin to support it and hopefully keep it from breaking. I would say wait until you break something to make this change, but guys who love wrenching may do it immediately.
Sounds good I'm really glad that's one less thing to have to worry about, thanks for the help!

This is all my opinion and what I have come across with multiple 6s trucks but if it's a spiral gear like kraton notorious Mojave talion they need atleast two shims on the outside of the diff to keep the side to side movement from moving to much as far as straight cut gears in my experience they have free floating bearings which means theirs no spacer between the outer bearing and output cup so the bearing can move side to side. I have tried shimming straight cuts and can never get the diff in the housing I've also contacted horizon about this as well when I first got my infraction because I was use to spiral cuts and that's were I got alot of the information about the shimming. I've learned the hard and expensive way so now when I buy a truck first thing is pull the diffs before it even hits the road.

Diff maintenance items I use
Always team associated diff fluids
Tekno diff shims TKR1222
Arrma Shims ARA709057
And a 35 complete diff from Jenny's

In my infraction currently running
100k Front 200k Center and 60k Rear

This is all my opinion and what I have come across with multiple 6s trucks but if it's a spiral gear like kraton notorious Mojave talion they need atleast two shims on the outside of the diff to keep the side to side movement from moving to much as far as straight cut gears in my experience they have free floating bearings which means theirs no spacer between the outer bearing and output cup so the bearing can move side to side. I have tried shimming straight cuts and can never get the diff in the housing I've also contacted horizon about this as well when I first got my infraction because I was use to spiral cuts and that's were I got alot of the information about the shimming. I've learned the hard and expensive way so now when I buy a truck first thing is pull the diffs before it even hits the road.

Diff maintenance items I use
Always team associated diff fluids
Tekno diff shims TKR1222
Arrma Shims ARA709057
And a 35 complete diff from Jenny's

In my infraction currently running
100k Front 200k Center and 60k Rear

Hey Rich,

As a very fresh meat to this hobby (just ordered my first car.. Mojave),
I would like your advise pls:

1) as i understand from you- you do recommend to shim the Mojave.. before first run is better right?
2) how do i do it?.. any instructions?..
3) i don't have any problem regarding to do mechanics/electric works... just need the how to..
4) Which parts Are needed?.. .. tips?...Brands?

Thank you,.
Etai

So @Rich Duperbash video is the most straight forward with instructions now he runs through the entire diff with the new v4s internal shimming isnt always needed buts it's still a good idea to check them as far as part numbers go

Tekno diff shims TKR1222
Arrma Shims ARA709057
Arrma gaskets AR310444
Mugen diff washers MUGC1206

The teknos are for the outside of diff Mugen washers for the inside of diff
Arrma shims for cups/bearings

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back