Shim on both sides of the diff Between the bearing and the diff housing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hello,
I removed the diffs of my talion v4 for the first time.
Should the Shims on both side of the diff Between the bearing and the diff housing.
I only have one shim left on Front and back and no shim at the middle diff?
In the Manual looks like both side.

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_212815.jpg
    IMG_20190827_212815.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20190827_212749.jpg
    IMG_20190827_212749.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 105
Yeah that is strange! :unsure: You really want 2 shims on the gear side for a better mesh and will save your input/ring gears from stripping! First thing I do to all my trucks. No real need for any further shimming IMO.

Hello,
I removed the diffs of my talion v4 for the first time.
Should the Shims on both side of the diff Between the bearing and the diff housing.
I only have one shim left on Front and back and no shim at the middle diff?
In the Manual looks like both side.
center diff doesn't need shims. front and rear would place on the spur side to push it closer to the pinion. not too close though leave a tiny bit of slack

So my new Typhon 6S center diff has about 1mm of play in the rear outdrive cup. Does that need shimmed? I don’t see why since the dogbones have slop by design.

So my new Typhon 6S center diff has about 1mm of play in the rear outdrive cup. Does that need shimmed? I don’t see why since the dogbones have slop by design.
rotational play? back and forth play? dogbones should have a bit of play each way.

if you haven't taken apart the diff housings yet those are the shims youd wanna check on to make sure the diff gear meshes really close with the diff housing input gear
The rear drive cup pulls towards the rear 1mm.
is it the rear cup only or are both cups moving? may need to shim the gear that the cup shaft sits in inside the center diff

Last edited:
if you haven't taken apart the diff housings yet those are the shims youd wanna check on to make sure the diff gear meshes really close with the diff housing input gear

is it the rear cup only or are both cups moving? may need to shim the gear that the cup shaft sits in inside the center diff
Just the rear cup has play in the direction of the blue arrow. Towards the dogbone.

The rear drive cup pulls towards the rear 1mm.
if both cups move back and forth its the diff sliding in the bearings which is fine. if its just the rear id open the center diff and check inside there

if both cups move back and forth its the diff sliding in the bearings which is fine. if its just the rear id open the center diff and check inside there
I had the diff out in my hand to swap bearings and noticed the small amount of play. Car is brand new out of the box.

new as in just acquired? that looks like a older model.. red blx esc? older mount
That’s just a pic I grabbed off google for illustration purposes. I have a 2019 V4 Typhon. Never ran it yet. Still getting it ready to bash. Should be soon. Gotta get these diffs, bearings, and rear CVDs installed.

I had the diff out in my hand to swap bearings and noticed the small amount of play. Car is brand new out of the box.
its ok. but some guys goes to the extent of shimming the gears inside there too just for peace of mind. rich duperbash has a video on how to shim it and what part numbers he used.
That’s just a pic I grabbed off google for illustration purposes. I have a 2019 V4 Typhon. Never ran it yet. Still getting it ready to bash. Should be soon. Gotta get these diffs, bearings, and rear CVDs installed.
come to think of it. that type of play should be fine. if anything double check the mesh of the diff by twisting the cups oppposite direction. if it feels slack THEN you shim the insides. if u know how the diffs cups work its a shaft that goes in the diff and a bar through the shaft to keep it in place, and the gear floats on the shaft.

The planetary gears attach to the output drive cups. If the shims are not correct, the drive cups will articulate back and forth. Normal wear will create more of this slack. Also don't overlook worn out drive cup bearings on the diff (2). That will also cause this slack and accelerate wear across both the satellite and planetary gears..

The manual is not talking about the crown gear shims. The new exploded view for the 2019's shows a shim between the bearing and the drive cup for all diffs.

The center diff I got from Jenny's was from a 2019 but didn't have those two shims either. I just chalked it up to them making a mistake and sending me a 2018, but maybe not. Looks like the manual is updated but no one told the factory workers.

Sometimes adding shims is a case by case basis as needed. Perhaps at the factory shim fitment is purely subjective to the person installing them. To me the glass is half full, not half empty. :LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back