Shimming 8S diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogxite

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Just stripped down the rear diff on my K8S as it was crunchy under acceleration and it's eaten one of the sun gears quite badly. Has anyone had any experience shimming these?

Using a feeler gauge there's about 0.8mm between the input spur and diff case so this could be shimmed, but I'm buggered if I can find any 26x22mm shims anywhere.

Internally the new gear set comes with new shims for behind the two sun gears, so I'm wondering about using the old ones as well to try and tighten it all up a bit.

Just after people's thoughts on this and if anyone out there has experience shimming the 8S stuff?
IMG_20200921_155603.jpg
IMG_20200921_155514.jpg

I had similar problem, I just bought a new case and new sun gears. For the moment it seems to be working.
I was advised to shim properly between the case and the shafts and make it sturdy enough.
Maybe someone else has better advise

Just stripped down the rear diff on my K8S as it was crunchy under acceleration and it's eaten one of the sun gears quite badly. Has anyone had any experience shimming these?

Using a feeler gauge there's about 0.8mm between the input spur and diff case so this could be shimmed, but I'm buggered if I can find any 26x22mm shims anywhere.

Internally the new gear set comes with new shims for behind the two sun gears, so I'm wondering about using the old ones as well to try and tighten it all up a bit.

Just after people's thoughts on this and if anyone out there has experience shimming the 8S stuff?
View attachment 100980View attachment 100981

Sometimes diff heat can warp the plastic housing just enough to let that happen. That coupled with them most likely NOT checking the tolerances of each and every diff housing at the factory. This happened to a couple of my LOSI truggys before, a replacement of the diff housing rectified the problem along with the gears as @madf78 did.

I haven’t shimmed mine either, most likely because I don’t know any better.....?. I’ve had all the diffs apart twice since June and it’s all hunky dory.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back