Kraton Shimming diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s hit or miss I guess. Some say they are good and don’t need it but from what I saw on my V4 Typhon that I bought new was that it needed a shim in the front for sure to better engage the pinion/ring and I think it also needed the same one in the rear as well.

Personally, I would just check it along with the fluid level inside the diffs. The front and center diffs were leaking on my Typhon due to the screws being too loose on the center diff and the gasket being torn on the front diff.

Moral of the story is, just check everything to be sure it was assembled correctly.

It’s hit or miss I guess. Some say they are good and don’t need it but from what I saw on my V4 Typhon that I bought new was that it needed a shim in the front for sure to better engage the pinion/ring and I think it also needed the same one in the rear as well.

Personally, I would just check it along with the fluid level inside the diffs. The front and center diffs were leaking on my Typhon due to the screws being too loose on the center diff and the gasket being torn on the front diff.

Moral of the story is, just check everything to be sure it was assembled correctly.
Right on. I just received a V4 typhon I got from eBay bout an hour ago I'm going to use for my new build. Air compressored it clean and slapped a battery on her to see if she turned on and got nothing. Looks really clean and in good shape. Is there any way to test the esc?

Good deal you’re gonna love it!

On the ESC, do you have a multimeter? If so you can check the resistance between the pos and neg power cables to see if they are actually connected to the board underneath.

Good deal you’re gonna love it!

On the ESC, do you have a multimeter? If so you can check the resistance between the pos and neg power cables to see if they are actually connected to the board underneath.
I have one, not sure how to do that though.

There are a lot of factors when shimming diffs as no two assemblies are alike. Factor in machining processes and whether if tolerances were respected play a big part in shimming diffs.

As @Mongoose (and others have stated), there are many helpful videos on YouTube which can explain the “Hows & Whys” of shimming diffs. These videos are not only helpful for 6s Arrma diffs, but diffs in general. As an experienced diff builder, my best piece of advice is to take your time and understand how the gears work in unison before getting your hands dirty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back