Kraton Shimming Kraton center diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi guys,

Just shimmed my center diff and looked at TP center diff video. I noticed he didnt put extra the extra two shims on the spider gears and nor did he put shims on bearing shaft cup.

I replaced the stock shims with the four mugen e0206 spider shims and two planetary shims for the other two gears. I also added two tekno shims on the bearing shaft cup like how TP done with the rear/front diff video.

Is that okay or should I redo my diffs?

Thanks in advance

There should be a total of (6) of the smaller shims and (2) of the larger shims installed inside each diff when complete.
thanks. i couldnt get much information on the center diff. Then I saw TP and he only put the larger shims behind the planetary gear and left the spider gears out.

There are some good rules of thumbs, but realize each diff can be a bit different. Shim, assemble, and spin it. It should be smooth / slightly notchy. If is too notchy, you need to remove some shims. If you can feel slack / backlash, you need to add shims.

There are some good rules of thumbs, but realize each diff can be a bit different. Shim, assemble, and spin it. It should be smooth / slightly notchy. If is too notchy, you need to remove some shims. If you can feel slack / backlash, you need to add shims.

Is it with the crown gear on when feeling the smoothness?

Yes, crown gear, gasket and all four screws to proper torque. I'll even add fluid (in the hopes I have it right... LOL) but I think most people will assemble dry, feel the mesh, then open it back up to adjust or add fluid. Doing it my way is messy, if I get it together and find it is too tight.

Also, when I say "Spin it" I mean, spin one outdrive against the other, so the crown/case does not really rotate. You want to feel the action/mesh of the internal gears.

There should be a total of (6) of the smaller shims and (2) of the larger shims installed inside each diff when complete.

What's the part number for the shims that go being the sun gear? If that's what you call it. Haha the shims you need 2 of.

Its the larger shim in the shim kit from Mugen that you bought.

IMG_6709.PNG

I bought the same one and it's enough to do all three diffs with 4 of the smaller shims left over, if memory serves me correctly.

I just ran into this thread doing some research before I shim all my diffs on kraton. Am I correct in that one pack of the mugen shim pack #0206 enough and all I need to shim all of my diffs? Also am I adding to existing shims or am replacing the stock shims?

Yes one pack will do all three diffs with a few of the smaller satellite shims left over.

Use those to shim the posts on the steering to take some of the up and down slop away

- As for the adding or subtracting shims you'll be adding.. see video below...

What Associated shims were recommended then if these are all that are needed? I have seen them in another thread. I assume for an RC8B/T.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back