Kraton Shimming the Diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Kraton v2 was shimmed on the outside, but I went ahead and shimmed the inside of the diffs as well. Was a fun project that actually wasn't too bad for a beginner!

@AGHolman thanks! I have already ordered the shim kits, just gotta decide on diff fluid to get now.

Stock fluid weights are great. Only thing I'd change would be center diff weight if you wanted to change the characteristics a bit. I went with 30k (versus 10k stock) since I'm a basher but a lot of bashers like 100k or 500k.

For planetary gears shimming just find anyone as long as the hole is 5....like i use 5x15x0.3 works flawless

"Google" is your friend ;)

Google may be your friend but my Google Fu which is normally ok absolutely sucks in this situation. Can't get a 5x15x.03 shim to come up to save my life.

These are in stock at Tower, and have been touted to work in the Kraton, just fine. Top thread in the Chassis Drive train forum has this part number in the first post.

MUGE0206

These are in stock at Tower, and have been touted to work in the Kraton, just fine. Top thread in the Chassis Drive train forum has this part number in the first post.

MUGE0206
I am familiar with the Mugen ones. I already have the satellite gear shim pack and if there is a pack of 5x15 I can't find them. the Mugen pack has all of the shims, 5 planetary and the large ones are 5x18. The pack is $10.50 which I will buy if I have to but I would rather just purchase a pack of planetary shims by themselves at this point.

I am familiar with the Mugen ones. I already have the satellite gear shim pack and if there is a pack of 5x15 I can't find them. the Mugen pack has all of the shims, 5 planetary and the large ones are 5x18. The pack is $10.50 which I will buy if I have to but I would rather just purchase a pack of planetary shims by themselves at this point.
I wish TD310475 Team Durango's would become available again soon, they fit perfectly, accidentally misplaced my extras, driving me batty. Much cheaper then stocking up with Mugens.

I got a few aluminum differential housings on the way.... I figure I'll just see how they work. They could be more of a pain than good. But I'll try them any way.

At least for the center diff... it will dissapate much more heat being transferred from the motor into the diff. Also... the fluid alone can get hot. Having the aluminum should help. Plus it looks cool... that's the most important thing.

My diffs have actually been flawless. I just want to try the aluminum housings.

I got a few aluminum differential housings on the way.... I figure I'll just see how they work. They could be more of a pain than good. But I'll try them any way.

At least for the center diff... it will dissapate much more heat being transferred from the motor into the diff. Also... the fluid alone can get hot. Having the aluminum should help. Plus it looks cool... that's the most important thing.

I ordered one myself for the center diff,hoping it runs cooler!

I ordered one myself for the center diff,hoping it runs cooler!
I feel it's a good idea. You really fried that last one !!!! That thing was smoked bad. The screws will be different going into alluminum than plastic. I'm wondering if they will stay put... only thing I can think of. Loctite may have to be fresh going on those screws.

I recently heard some cyclical clicking from rear diff, found rear 43t crown gear missing a tooth, planetary gears rather pitted. Used Mugen shims fresh from Tower, fit perfectly, added 3 planetary, 2 to crown side, and 2 satellite for total of 6, and 2, .15 thick Kyosho bearing shims, garage test went well. Happy shims fit well. Where are you finding aluminum cases and can you post pics of your chassis/tower brace?

Hobby Etc has them as well as Liquid rc on Ebay,mine just shipped from Hobby Etc a few mintues ago,only ordered a couple hours ago.

Building up a basher to a point where it almost never busts is always my goal. But I also don't like to get stuff that isn't needed or is a waste of money. We already saw a smoked out center diff... if it was aluminum, it may have survived and paid for itself. I think it's a good idea from seeing how hot it can get. Once that's all metal in the center.... it will be very solid. Hot Racing has motor mounts and center diff bearing blocks also. No pictures for some reason.

Building up a basher to a point where it almost never busts is always my goal. But I also don't like to get stuff that isn't needed or is a waste of money. We already saw a smoked out center diff... if it was aluminum, it may have survived and paid for itself. I think it's a good idea from seeing how hot it can get. Once that's all metal in the center.... it will be very solid. Hot Racing has motor mounts and center diff bearing blocks also. No pictures for some reason.
Interested in those too what want to see a picture of what i'm getting first!

I've had good luck with Hot Racing, just wish they made chassis braces, servo mounts also for Arrmas.

They do make chassis braces for the Kraton(HR), although i don't think they help much.The back brace hooks up to plastic and the forward angle is to shallow to have much affect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back