Kraton Shimming the Diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConanDan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey everyone, I keep reading about "shimming your diffs"

I'm not familiar with how to shim your diffs or what it includes. I have found some videos online, but it is unclear as to what you are shimming and where you put the shims.

Do the shims go behind the gears inside the diff? See first pic below.

Or do the shims go on the outside of the diff inbetween the bearing and the axel connectors? See second pic?? Some clarification would be great! Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 476
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 379
@ConanDan, shimming is important as it removes the extra play or slop typically found in most diffs. Shimming allows for a much better drivetrain and typically a longer lasting one too.

Shimming can be done a number of ways but yes typically behind the gears as pictured in your first image, but can also be shimmed for side to side movement in your second as well.

I feel the internal shims inside the diff help out with a few things. One thing is play, another is to stop the pin from eating into the side wall and O-ring and I think the diffs seep less silicon when shimmed. IDK...that's just what I noticed. I prefer the internal shims over no shims. It's definitely something to consider. Is it needed....no, you can run without them. Many people do.

Last edited:
I feel the internal shims inside the diff help out with a few things. One thing is play, another is to stop the pin from eating into the side wall and O-ring and I think the diffs seep less silicon when shimmed. IDK...that's just what I noticed. I prefer the internal shims over no shims. It's definitely something to consider. Is it needed....no, you can run without them. Many people do.

Thanks Vanning! I Appreciate the feedback.

I can't seem to find what size shims fit the Kraton diffs. I get different answers from different sources. Thanks anyone for 'the truth'!

@ConanDan, shimming is important as it removes the extra play or slop typically found in most diffs. Shimming allows for a much better drivetrain and typically a longer lasting one too.

Shimming can be done a number of ways but yes typically behind the gears as pictured in your first image, but can also be shimmed for side to side movement in your second as well.

Just got my shims in and I I have a question :)

Should I put a shim behind each interior planetary gear for all 3 diffs? (So put 2 shims in each diff)

Or, put 1 shim behind just one planetary gear for each diff? (So use 1 shim in each diff) Sorry I know that is kind of confusing...let me know if my question does not make sense.

Again woody, thank you for all your great feedback and information I really appreciate it!

@ConanDan it's really going to depend on the diff on how many you put in. All you're trying to do is remove any excess slop so I'd start with one or two then dry fit it together and check the diff. If it still feels a bit sloppy add more shims, if everything feels nice and smooth then you're good to go.

I've the front end out of my Kraton thanks to a festive misshap lmao.

Front differential out, stripped and degreased and awaiting delivery of my shims.

@WoodiE thanks for your continued support and work behind the scenes. Without this forum I'd be totally lost.

Do you all add new gaskets to your diff once you've opened it?

Last edited:
Depends on
I've the front end out of my Kraton thanks to a festive misshap lmao.

Front differential out, stripped and degreased and awaiting delivery of my shims.

@WoodiE thanks for your continued support and work behind the scenes. Without this forum I'd be totally lost.

Do you all add new gaskets to your diff once you've opened it?
Depends on the condition of them I would say.

So I have my truck torn down right now and would like to shim the diffs, but can't find the shims in stock anywhere. Does anybody have recommendations of other shims(brands or part numbers) that will work. Any help would be appreciated.

So I have my truck torn down right now and would like to shim the diffs, but can't find the shims in stock anywhere. Does anybody have recommendations of other shims(brands or part numbers) that will work. Any help would be appreciated.
Here are the small shims
AR709024
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NE06714/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
here are the bigger ones
TD310475
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDR310476-T...043464?hash=item5d63a9fdc8:g:uf0AAOSwMgdX1RdS

Didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question.

but does the V2 come shimmed? I just got one a few days ago and I love it!

No shim behind the planetary and one shim either side of the satellite gears.

When I shimmed mine I placed one behind each of the planetary gears and only one extra shim when assembling the satellite gears.

Big shout out to @Paulie for the following part numbers.

MUGE0206

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back