Shims that work for Arrma diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No just a combo of a few. There a few videos on it and a few pictures that go over the sizes posted up here. Check out sticky threads in chassis and drivetrain and your user manual. Not completely sure who posted this picture but i took a screen shot of it to reference while shopping. Actually looking at it I believe Notorious J gets the credits. Thanks @Notorious J

Attachments

• 767A6F7B-0EF4-4FCF-83A8-0894CC0F09F3.png
    767A6F7B-0EF4-4FCF-83A8-0894CC0F09F3.png
    805.4 KB · Views: 137
No just a combo of a few. There a few videos on it and a few pictures that go over the sizes posted up here. Check out sticky threads in chassis and drivetrain and your user manual. Not completely sure who posted this picture but i took a screen shot of it to reference while shopping. Actually looking at it I believe Notorious J gets the credits. Thanks @Notorious J
thx i'll see if i can find a kit or two that contains all of those sizes.

Hi everyone.

I transferred the information from this, along with some addtitional products I have found along the way into a spreadsheet. Thought it was only fair to share it.

I have also slowly been fleshing out the list of fixings as I prefer to order them individually from reputable screw suppliers, but it is by no means an exhaustive list (yet).
There is a bearings list, but this is also just a few items included here so I have all the information I need, quick to hand.

Happy to flesh the thing out with further data or comments if people have them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hsQBVZHxqyHskx2CS3niMWIqGJePsbG1hEpCDrVZXFM/edit?usp=sharing

Hi everyone.

I transferred the information from this, along with some addtitional products I have found along the way into a spreadsheet. Thought it was only fair to share it.

I have also slowly been fleshing out the list of fixings as I prefer to order them individually from reputable screw suppliers, but it is by no means an exhaustive list (yet).
There is a bearings list, but this is also just a few items included here so I have all the information I need, quick to hand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hsQBVZHxqyHskx2CS3niMWIqGJePsbG1hEpCDrVZXFM/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet, makes for a much easier for me to have that saved on my phone to reference when attempting to locate specific shims bearings and hardware for sure.

No problem. There is some additional shims on there on top of the ones from the original list, and many that are kind of irrelevant for the Kraton. I'll probably also start adding Tekno ones on too, but I'll try to make sure that its easy to filter out..

Hi everyone.

Wow, this awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME??? so iv been searching for a few weeks now for the shim kits to do my v2 kraton diffs and nowhere has them in stock in the uk...if came across this post and iv checked ebay and they have the "associated AS81381" kit in stock, would this be enough to do all 3 internal diffs ? planetary gears and the spider gears pleas someone help me out it's doing hype but in now lol...

I have ordered the Mugen 0206 set for my 18 typhon. Is the 13x16x.15 shims the only other shim I need to order???
The mugen set has everything you'll need for shimming all 3 diffs. It's a great set with really high quality shims. It's what I use. If you want to shim the outside of the diff to tighten up the mesh on your outdrive, get the kyosho 13,16,0.5 shims. They re the first shims on this list I believe. ??

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME??? so iv been searching for a few weeks now for the shim kits to do my v2 kraton diffs and nowhere has them in stock in the uk...if came across this post and iv checked ebay and they have the "associated AS81381" kit in stock, would this be enough to do all 3 internal diffs ? planetary gears and the spider gears pleas someone help me out it's doing hype but in now lol...
That kit is missing shims for the larger sun gears.

The mugen kit is missing ones for the outdrive cups and outdrive bearings:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-seiki-differential-washer-set-muge0206/p3241

Which shims are needed for the notorious input gear?
5x7x.2?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1707518209.jpg
    Snapchat-1707518209.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 53
Which shims are needed for the notorious input gear?
5x7x.2?

Yeah I'm now looking for the same shims...for the kraton version, I ordered the "associated 81381" and didnt realise the pinion shim wasnt there....if you find out will you let me know please...its a total pain in the ass, as I'm in the uk and most of these parts are out of stock....

@T1t3h - Did you see my spreadhseet?

There is quite a few options in the UK for the various shims that are easier to get than the Mugen or Associated kits. Check it out below.

As for shimming the input gear, I have seen folk in the UK Facebook pages shimming BEHIND the bearing inside the gearbox.
Hi everyone.

I know there are a ton of videos /threads on this but for someone shimming diffs and changing oil for the first time on a Kraton 6s V4 what shims do I need to order to do everything. I know there are multiple choices/sizes that serve the same purpose but for someone new It would be great if someonecan just list the most popular choice of what I need so I'm not ordering mutiple sizes making things more complicated for the first go around.

Thanks!

I know there are a ton of videos /threads on this but for someone shimming diffs and changing oil for the first time on a Kraton 6s V4 what shims do I need to order to do everything. I know there are multiple choices/sizes that serve the same purpose but for someone new It would be great if someonecan just list the most popular choice of what I need so I'm not ordering mutiple sizes making things more complicated for the first go around.

Thanks!
Hi Oceanminded,

I know it can all be a little bit daunting at first.
Part of my deconstruction of information process was to make the spreadsheet that I eventually shared, and you can access with all the part numbers listed above.

One of the issues with, a "buy this" approach is stock. Many of the kits that's fulfill multiple purposes arent available in some countries, or aren't available at all, same as some individual shims.

I can, however, list my favourites:

Between output drive cup and the diff case
✅5x7 (These are widely available in many kits, very common RC shim size. E.g. KYO96643)

The Sun gears
✅KYO96774 5x20x0.2(I out this on first)
✅DIN988 5X10X0.1 (if more shimming is needed, the stock ones that come out of the newer arrma diffs are also fine, but 0.24 thick)

The Spider Gears
✅SW 101004 3.5x10x0.2 (Although just go for the CoreRC ones, or Stock Arrma if you have to wait weeks for delivery of these... they're just my favourite so far)

Between the output cup bearing and the plastic gearbox
✅KYO96772 (Could also go for UR1124 or CR456 if they're easier to get hold of)

Input Gear, behind the large bearing inside the gearbox
✅DIN988 13X19X0.2

Hi Oceanminded,

I know it can all be a little bit daunting at first.
Part of my deconstruction of information process was to make the spreadsheet that I eventually shared, and you can access with all the part numbers listed above.

One of the issues with, a "buy this" approach is stock. Many of the kits that's fulfill multiple purposes arent available in some countries, or aren't available at all, same as some individual shims.

I can, however, list my favourites:

Between output drive cup and the diff case
✅5x7 (These are widely available in many kits, very common RC shim size. E.g. KYO96643)

The Sun gears
✅KYO96774 5x20x0.2(I out this on first)
✅DIN988 5X10X0.1 (if more shimming is needed, the stock ones that come out of the newer arrma diffs are also fine, but 0.24 thick)

The Spider Gears
✅SW 101004 3.5x10x0.2 (Although just go for the CoreRC ones, or Stock Arrma if you have to wait weeks for delivery of these... they're just my favourite so far)

Between the output cup bearing and the plastic gearbox
✅KYO96772 (Could also go for UR1124 or CR456 if they're easier to get hold of)

Input Gear, behind the large bearing inside the gearbox
✅DIN988 13X19X0.2
Thanks for the info. After watching more videos I think I'm finally getting it. It seems to do a basic shim and oil change job on the 6sv4 all I would need is the Mugen Seiki E0206 kit and the Kyosho 96772 13x16x.15mm kit for shims. What else am I missing? Are the above items you mentioned to do the same thing or is it for a different part of the truck like where the driveshafts are located outside the gearbox.

I couldn't get the mugen kit when I was looking, it's in my spreadsheet so you should be able to cross reference my list above from my spreadsheet to see if its covers all the same bits.

Thanks for the info. After watching more videos I think I'm finally getting it. It seems to do a basic shim and oil change job on the 6sv4 all I would need is the Mugen Seiki E0206 kit and the Kyosho 96772 13x16x.15mm kit for shims. What else am I missing? Are the above items you mentioned to do the same thing or is it for a different part of the truck like where the driveshafts are located outside the gearbox.
I believe you are missing just the one shim mentioned and IMO can be very important which is the 5x7mm shims for the outdrives. This keeps the outdrives from moving side to side through the 8internals of the differential but the shim is visible from the outside of the differential itself. I'll attach the image that I think is easiest to understand. But the info originally provided was absolutely excellent in comparison to others that can get a bit confusing for some that are not so familiar with rc differentials. Shout out to @B1scu1T forproviding such information (even a guy who hates spreadsheets actually very much liked the one he created for suggested parts shims bearing etc lol) well done and appreciate the time taken to provide the explanations @B1scu1T . The shims I believe you werent including are the 5x7mm that point to the two outdrive in the image. Hope that makes sense in a bit of a rush sry

Attachments

• 767A6F7B-0EF4-4FCF-83A8-0894CC0F09F3.png
    767A6F7B-0EF4-4FCF-83A8-0894CC0F09F3.png
    805.4 KB · Views: 86
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back