Kraton Shock and diff oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo1980

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi, I've finally run out of the stock oil and was wondering what the best combination of oil to use for the diffs and what's the best oil for the shocks.
I've got a kraton exb 6s with a max six combo 20t pinion
I generally bash in woods and on grass and send it but not stupidly high.

-Most if not all my 6s off road 6s rigs run 60k F/500kCntr/30kRr. Tried many combinations. 6+ years later with these rigs, this is what I felt works best for me. Many others the same. This is for the 6s Open diffs.
With EXB diffs, some are using the Open shim kits to make them open, and not LSD's. Usually the rear Diff first and many like the Rear only Open. Easier to drive and steer.
The best way to approach EXB LSD diffs initially, is to first adjust the Staging of the LSD plates. ( 2 options) There is an instructional doc and video on this procedure, if you have not done so yet.
This along with using "closer" to stock CST oil in the LSD diffs.

-I run 1k CST (80 weight) in my F and R shocks. But along with different size pistons included in the Box to fine tune damping rates. What works for you. Shocks are personal preference and only you can decide with trial and error. Rigs are different by the time you mod them adding Upgrades/added weight etc. If running 8s electrics, Springs need to have appropriate rates to accomodate the added weight in many cases. Consider needing optional springs.
Spring rate (stiffness) and Damping rate (oil's CST+ chosen piston size) work together and should be balanced well enough to work best. Agian this is personal preference. Can be time consuming. But an incorrect shock setup will make or break an otherwise nice driving rig. You will battle driving it and potentially break supspension parts more often. Don't overlook the "Shock Droop" setting.

Last edited:
I'm running all my diffs in the full lsd set up and it seems to handle really well and less issues than open that I was having. Not sure if the standard weight is good enough or any other recommendations that others may use

Some will bump up LSD CST's to fine tune it.. But don't overshoot it. Easily done with LSD diffs. Did you play with the Staging of the LSD plates? Consider that first. Keeping the stock CST. One change at a time is best. Easier to evaluate. Changing the Staging is the better way to tune LSD diffs, first before changing the oil's CST. Conversely, with Open diffs, Oil is the only way to adjust them. Hence higher CST oils with Open diffs.
Why change anything if it runs fine? And you are happy as stated.
If not sure... and it runs fine, why change anything? It works as is.:unsure:
If your LSD diffs get too locked with thicker oil, the rig will push and oversteer at some point.(n)
Hopefully others chime in with LSD oils they use. Start with the next CST higher over stock if you are so inclined. One diff at a time and evaluate. You really should see a need to change. If no need, don't, if you can't identify/ quantify the need.
What works for some may not work for you. In many cases.

Last edited:
Some will bump up LSD CST's to fine tune it.. But don't overshoot it. Easily done with LSD diffs. Did you play with the Staging of the LSD plates? Consider that first. Keeping the stock CST. One change at a time is best. Easier to evaluate. Changing the Staging is the better way to tune LSD diffs, first before changing the oil's CST. Conversely, with Open diffs, Oil is the only way to adjust them. Hence higher CST oils with Open diffs.
Why change anything if it runs fine? And you are happy as stated.
If not sure... and it runs fine, why change anything? It works as is.:unsure:
If your LSD diffs get too locked with thicker oil, the rig will push and oversteer at some point.(n)
Hopefully others chime in with LSD oils they use. Start with the next CST higher over stock if you are so inclined. One diff at a time and evaluate. You really should see a need to change. If no need, don't, if you can't identify/ quantify the need.
What works for some may not work for you. In many cases.
The only reason why I've been asking is others have changed the weight of the oil but like you said if I'm happy with how it handles then why change it.
I've just remembered as well that I changed the rear diff to the minimum affect as the car was turning right on hard acceleration compared to maximum effect and it seemed to work.
The trouble is I allways think I'm not doing things correct but keep realising I do know what I'm doing🤣

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Sometimes a rig at some point is good enough. Easiest to drive. Driving the RC takes over from there. Skill. Just we tend to sometimes tinker more than we need to. Many are always chasing that best set up. But they have it already and don't realize it, is what I am saying.
Minimal LSD stage or Full Open diff is best at the rear. You already know this. Losing steering, oversteers/ pushes.

Last edited:
So this is were my knowledge is limited due to never yet doing any shock rebuilds. And exactly why I love this forum, plenty of vets around to share.
My question is should I go higher in weight shock oil on my kraton exb that has the 1250kv and 160amp esc in it. And what weight should I use then. Rig says 14lbs on my scale. Would like to know what a v5 with stock electronics weighs?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back