Shock body tools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walküre

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
What are you guys using for wrenches/ pliers to disassemble shocks? The shock body measures 23mm. Are there specific tools you guys are using to take caps off? I have some stubborn caps on some Jenny’s Typhon shock purchases.

The spot for the 17mm on the wrench is for grasping the shock body? The reason I didn’t get one of these is because when I mic the hex on the top ie reads about 23mm. If this is the case I’ll order one today...

The spot for the 17mm on the wrench is for grasping the shock body? The reason I didn’t get one of these is because when I mic the hex on the top ie reads about 23mm. If this is the case I’ll order one today...
Are you measuring flat to flat or point to point? The shock tool below is the one that I have and I love it. This is probably one of my tools that I will never go without again. At first I thought it was stupid and pointless but I got it and tried it and love having a proper shock tool to work on shocks as well as install and remove pivot balls.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekno-...-sA_DYh0IHQFDfXVnpTDSiH1Wjv0MChsaAqvCEALw_wcB

It should work...I use it when I assemble and disassemble my shocks. The wheel wrench is used to tighten the shock cap. You put the shock eyelet in the slot and twist it while holding the shock body with the shock pliers.

Are you measuring flat to flat or point to point? The shock tool below is the one that I have and I love it. This is probably one of my tools that I will never go without again. At first I thought it was stupid and pointless but I got it and tried it and love having a proper shock tool to work on shocks as well as install and remove pivot balls.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekno-...-sA_DYh0IHQFDfXVnpTDSiH1Wjv0MChsaAqvCEALw_wcB
Yes, flat to flat. If it works on your Arrma shocks the number on the wrench is in reference to the shock type not actual size of the flats. 12/17 or 16 on the wrench makes sense.

Yes, flat to flat. If it works on your Arrma shocks the number on the wrench is in reference to the shock type not actual size of the flats. 12/17 or 16 on the wrench makes sense.
I'll try to check mine tonight when I get home to make sure that it works. It's been awhile since I've taken any of my shocks apart to be honest.

Last edited:
I don’t think the Tekno pliers will work...I think they only work when the hexes are machined into the bore. Every time I have taken the Arrma caps off I’ve had to put them in a vice and grab that hex...if you look at the Tekno shocks you will see what I mean.

I'll try to check mine tonight when I get home to make sure that it works. It's been awhile since I've taken any of my shocks apart to be honest.
Thanks. I have a set of caps that are stubborn. They aren’t coming off by hand.

I don’t think the Tekno pliers will work...I think they only work when the hexes are machined into the bore. Every time I have taken the Arrma caps off I’ve had to put them in a vice and grab that hex...if you look at the Tekno shocks you will see what I mean.
That's right. I completely forgot about the Arrma shocks not having that hex on the bottom. I upgraded my V2 Typhon to Tekno shocks because I kept bending shock shafts back when they were 3.5mm shafts and then I upgraded my Kraton to Tekno shocks after I tried doing some maintenance on the stock ones and bent and gouged the bodies to hell due to this. The only Arrma shocks I have anymore are for my Senton and that is taken apart right now.

That's right. I completely forgot about the Arrma shocks not having that hex on the bottom. I upgraded my V2 Typhon to Tekno shocks because I kept bending shock shafts back when they were 3.5mm shafts and then I upgraded my Kraton to Tekno shocks after I tried doing some maintenance on the stock ones and bent and gouged the bodies to hell due to this. The only Arrma shocks I have anymore are for my Senton and that is taken apart right now.

I forgot too and I’m the bonehead that originally recommended them...sorry @Walküre.

The set @slick2500 suggested will work with any size shock since it clamps the barrel rather than the hex.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the conversation, but I have the Tekno shock tool and the part that looks like a hex and is labeled 17mm on the tool fits perfectly around the arrma shock body below the threads and holds it tight with no slipping. It's a great tool. I don't hate rebuilding shocks anymore.

During my last rebuild I realized that the hex tool for removing the wheels also fits the shock caps......

Will this work on Arrma shock shafts? Aren't the shock shafts 3.5mm? If so, this tool won't work for that will it?

Will this work on Arrma shock shafts? Aren't the shock shafts 3.5mm? If so, this tool won't work for that will it?
Yes it will. It depends, the V1-V2 shocks were 3.5mm, the V3+ shocks are 4mm. Yes you would put the 3.5mm shaft in the 3 spot, it will still grab it. I use my shock tool to hold 5+mm turnbuckles while I put rod ends on, I just stick them in the 4 spot and it still grabs the shaft just fine.

If you want to save some money the Trackstar one is quite a bit cheaper and does the same job https://hobbyking.com/en_us/shock-tools.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back