Typhon Shock cap not sealing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryogenius

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I had to replace shock oil in one of my shocks as the cap had worked its way loose. When the car flipped over the shock cap opened up I lost the bladder and oil. So I figured better service both front shocks.

I ordered new bladders and filled with oil but I think the threads are not air tight or leak tight on the shock that opened up. Filled both shocks with the correct amount and the same oil and new bladders. However when I check the rebound without the spring on, the one that had the cap opened doesn't rebound at all..its like it's super soft and pushing the piston in it doesn't rebound at all. I'm.certain the only air is on top of the bladder.
The other shock feels firm and has good resistance when pushing the shock piston in and it rebounds about 25%.

What's up with that? It seems to hold oil..not leaking or is the cap thread not seating properly? I even tried ptfe tape around the shock thread but it seemed to disintegrate on contact with silicone oil..I never knew that would happen..so can't get a good seal?

Any ideas?

from recommendations I picked up some Associated Green Slime and that seems to solved my leaking shocks issue; also was leaking at shock cap (mostly).

sometimes if the bladder isn't seated right it will leak, and also make sure the cap is tight, some times it takes just a little more to be all the way tight

The bladder does the sealing, not the threads. Make sure you are putting the correct amount of oil, and that the bladder is not damaged & is in the correct way.

Thanks all.
I took my typhon out for a light bash...and the same shock cap popped off again! I think there must be something wrong with the treads on the cap. I'm convinced of this now as just a light roll over caused the cap to come out of the shock body. I'm gonna invest in new shock caps.

Thanks all.
I took my typhon out for a light bash...and the same shock cap popped off again! I think there must be something wrong with the treads on the cap. I'm convinced of this now as just a light roll over caused the cap to come out of the shock body. I'm gonna invest in new shock caps.
So ptfe plumbers tape didn't work on the threads of the shock body. So I used a thin wrap of masking tape on the thread. Now the shock cap bites on the shock body nice...let's see how I fair.

So ptfe plumbers tape didn't work on the threads of the shock body. So I used a thin wrap of masking tape on the thread. Now the shock cap bites on the shock body nice...let's see how I fair.
If it keeps coming off, that would be an indicator for me that something isn't working right. From what i've seen, it's not super common to blow shock caps off (unless the shock were destroyed anyway). Something tells me the shock cap is cracked or the threads are in bad shape and it just can't hold onto the shock body threads anymore?

Idk, just my $0.02.

If it keeps coming off, that would be an indicator for me that something isn't working right. From what i've seen, it's not super common to blow shock caps off (unless the shock were destroyed anyway). Something tells me the shock cap is cracked or the threads are in bad shape and it just can't hold onto the shock body threads anymore?

Idk, just my $0.02.
Hey.. yeah I think its the threads as even screwing in it does cross thread on the first 2 turns and shock cap doesn't look like uniform grooves. Need a UK supplier of M2C racing aluminium shock caps. Thanks all for the input.

Hello all.
So I invested in Arrma Aluminium shock caps. And I fitted and topped up oil on my front shocks and cleaned it all up. I have left them installed overnight and I seem to still have a bit of shock oil seeping out. Any thoughts? Is this normal?

20220610_063721.jpg

20220610_063706.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back