Shock oil for Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging up an old thread again to avoid posting a new one for a simple question. I have a 3s typhon with an 8200mah 3s battery (quite heavy), Ive noticed the car bottoms out really easily and isnt the most stable over bumpy terrain. What weight shock oil should I move to?

Reducing bottoming out and making it ride smoother over rough terrain are two opposite goals. Your setup depends on which is more important to you. You should know, since 3s Arrmas are lightweight vehicles, they will bounce once the terrain gets rough enough no matter what you do. Also, they are designed to bottom out once the impact is hard enough no matter what you do.

To reduce bottoming out, make the springs stiffer by adding more preload, and use heavier oil to slow down the shock action. Once you stiffen up the shocks, it should bottom out less/softer, but the stiffer ride will make it bounce more over bumpy terrain.

To reduce bouncing over rough terrain, you want to keep the springs and oil lighter, so they compress and rebound quickly to absorb bumps and fill in gaps. You want the wheels moving up and down instead of the chassis. Lighter shocks absorb bumps better but provide less resistance to bottoming out.

What oil you use is in relation to the stiffness of the springs. Springs control how much the shocks compress. The thickness of the oil controls how quickly they rebound.

If you really want to do both, longer shocks will provide more travel to react to bumps and provide more clearance to reduce bottoming out. But there's a tradeoff. With a higher center of gravity, you'll tip over more easily and lose some turning/handling quickness. Variable shock springs also provide lighter initial tension (for bumps) with increased tension at higher compression (to reduce bottoming out).

Last edited:
Reducing bottoming out and making it ride smoother over rough terrain are two opposite goals. Your setup depends on which is more important to you. You should know, since 3s Arrmas are lightweight vehicles, they will bounce once the terrain gets rough enough no matter what you do. Also, they are designed to bottom out once the impact is hard enough no matter what you do.

To reduce bottoming out, make the springs stiffer by adding more preload, and use heavier oil to slow down the shock action. Once you stiffen up the shocks, it should bottom out less/softer, but the stiffer ride will make it bounce more over bumpy terrain.

To reduce bouncing over rough terrain, you want to keep the springs and oil lighter, so they compress and rebound quickly to absorb bumps and fill in gaps. You want the wheels moving up and down instead of the chassis. Lighter shocks absorb bumps better but provide less resistance to bottoming out.

What oil you use is in relation to the stiffness of the springs. Springs control how much the shocks compress. The thickness of the oil controls how quickly they rebound.

If you really want to do both, longer shocks will provide more travel to react to bumps and provide more clearance to reduce bottoming out. But there's a tradeoff. With a higher center of gravity, you'll tip over more easily and lose some turning/handling quickness. Variable shock springs also provide lighter initial tension (for bumps) with increased tension at higher compression (to reduce bottoming out).
Thanks for this detailed explanation. Do you know of any variable springs that would fit the 3sTyphon?

hello guys i wanna jump with my typhon and use it for offroad use and more i have ebay shocks filled with 650 but if i push the car down with my hand it goes kinda easy atleast thats what i think am a beginner and new to rc should i get 800cps shock oil?

Haha, no problem!

Let me know what you end up using. I just had to rebuild a front shock after a crash and am currently using some automotive ATF which is noticeably too light of an oil.
ATF???
NOOOO good. Hobby Grade Silicone OIL only!!
ATF will ruin all, O-rings, plastics and all. And ATF is quite Toxic at that. (n)
:sick:
hello guys i wanna jump with my typhon and use it for offroad use and more i have ebay shocks filled with 650 but if i push the car down with my hand it goes kinda easy atleast thats what i think am a beginner and new to rc should i get 800cps shock oil?
Different brand shocks have differing Pistons, and the resulting Shock "Pack" that is achieved. So one cannot compare or offer one type silicone Shock oil based on this. It becomes trial and error, what works best for YOU. Ballpark it, then evaluate from there. All you can do. Also the same can be said for Spring rates, with upgrade shocks. Best to stay with a known Stock brand of shock when or if you can. Having more optional spring choices. It is common to change out spring rates when changing oil CST/weight. They work together, hand in hand, getting that best shock setup.

>>>This is a very old thread.

Last edited:
ATF???
NOOOO good. Hobby Grade Silicone OIL only!!
ATF will ruin all, O-rings, plastics and all. And ATF is quite Toxic at that. (n)
:sick:

Different brand shocks have differing Pistons, and the resulting Shock "Pack" that is achieved. So one cannot compare or offer one type silicone Shock oil based on this. It becomes trial and error, what works best for YOU. Ballpark it, then evaluate from there. All you can do. Also the same can be said for Spring rates, with upgrade shocks. Best to stay with a known Stock brand of shock when or if you can. Having more optional spring choices. It is common to change out spring rates when changing oil CST/weight. They work together, hand in hand, getting that best shock setup.

>>>This is a very old thread.
i still have the old shocks from the typhon should i put those back on or keep the ebay shocks? because it feels good when i drive it and stuff

If what you have works, you are good.
Is this a 4x4 3s Typhon or a 6s Typhon?
Many run the 6s Typhon shocks on their 4x4 Typhons. Not the other way a round.
So what stock shocks and Typhon model do you have?
(4x4 Typhon stock shocks being the cheap Plastic ones, known to leak and break easily)
>>>Not sure what you have there.

If what you have works, you are good.
Is this a 4x4 3s Typhon or a 6s Typhon?
Many run the 6s Typhon shocks on their 4x4 Typhons. Not the other way a round.
So what stock shocks and Typhon model do you have?
(4x4 Typhon stock shocks being the cheap Plastic ones, known to leak and break easily)
>>>Not sure what you have there.
i have the typhon 3s and if am right i have version v3 the shocks i bought off of ebay they looked nice and where pretty cheap but good quality and the stock shocks are just the shocks u get with the typhon 3s who come standard

Awesome.
Look, if you got those shocks dialed where you want them. Don't change anything.
Chosen oil is always subjective.
And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I was just saying many 3s guys go right to the Arrma 6s alloy shocks as one option. Getting them from JennysRC.com. A great place to get many other stock parts.
:)
You seem to have some good knowledge of RC's already.

Awesome.
Look, if you got those shocks dialed where you want them. Don't change anything.
Chosen oil is always subjective.
And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I was just saying many 3s guys go right to the Arrma 6s alloy shocks as one option. Getting them from JennysRC.com. A great place to get many other stock parts.
:)
You seem to have some good knowledge of RC's already.
Alright thank you for the replys and for your time if these shocks hold up good i wont change the oil other wise imma go too 700 or 750-800 and the 6s shocks i like them too but i liked the silver alot and didnt have alot of money but thats a good tip i might do that in the future. And i have been doing rc for maybe a month drove my typhon 3s maybe 4 times and then the servo died so i bought a new one from amazon and bought a wheelie bar and new tires when the 25t horn comes in i.am gonna drive it finally🥳 and yea in a month- 3 weeks i learned quite alot

You got this. Wrenching is 80 % of this hobby. The best part for me. As Wheel time adds up, so will your driving kills. Learning how to dial it in just right. No 2 identical rigs end up being the same. We make them our own.

You got this. Wrenching is 80 % of this hobby. The best part for me. As Wheel time adds up, so will your driving kills. Learning how to dial it in just right. No 2 identical rigs end up being the same. We make them our own.
yes i really like the wrenching because then i have something to do look at my profile thats my car just got new wheels and a wheelie bar for it! just put it on minutes ago

Some people are naturals with this stuff. Pick it up fast.

I used 60wt in my Stock Typhon 3s shocks, that is about 750cst. I would use a little more, but those shocks are not great at all. The damping is poor, because of how they are made.

I am now using 6s shocks, with springs that are about 10% stronger then the original shocks. For oil I use 800cst.

For me this is pretty much the sweet spot:

Smart move, that is how its done. With 6s shocks. Got your 1.2's going. You know shocks well. Piston hole size and CST go hand in hand. Sometimes I will change out a piston first before changing out to a different Shock oil CST. This just makes more sense.
Many guys with their new 6s rigs toss the Bag of Optional 6s shock pistons to the side, toss them, and some don't even know what parts they are.
But I blame the Arrma 6s manual for that. No mention of it. Only the TLRT Typhon manual does explain about shocks in more detail:(

The TLRT Typhon Delrin Shock parts, bottom cartridge , X-rings and Delrin Pistons, really do make a difference, as well. Works with ALL 6s shocks.

Last edited:
I used 60wt in my Stock Typhon 3s shocks, that is about 750cst. I would use a little more, but those shocks are not great at all. The damping is poor, because of how they are made.

I am now using 6s shocks, with springs that are about 10% stronger then the original shocks. For oil I use 800cst.

For me this is pretty much the sweet spot:
Alright thank you i have fully alu eBay shocks so i might buy 800 too should input less in the front than the back or is 800 good for front and back? Thank you

Back