Shock oil weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Coder

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
What weight shock oil would you guys recommend for a general all around shock oil. I will mostly be bashing but will see a little track time. Arrma Typhon 3s

35W or 37.5W Team Assorted is what most would use. If you are jumping higher than most, go a bit heavier.

When choosing a specific weight, it can be trial and error. Others recommendations with same rigs are a great starting point for sure. AF is great for this. I carry it a step further and choose not only CST or viscosity, but try to keep buying the same brand of silicone oil of various thicknesses.
Because from brand to brand, CST varies. It doesn't really matter which brand. But a brand that is easy to find in all the CTS's you may want for tuning purposes. Brand A's 700 CST will usually vary from Brand B's 700 CST. Brand B's CST may actually be a #600 or even #800 CST by comparison. Hard to tune for comparative purposes. Hardcore shock tuning guys at the track do this. Stay with the same brand. Whichever you choose.(y) Hopefully a brand that has a full selection and is readily available now and in the future. I notice a big difference between TLR and Team Associated oil labeled as a #700 CST for instance. There really is no accurate and set consistent industry standard. Although that has been the direction to do so. If someone asks me what CST I am using, I tell them the CST as well as the brand.(y)

Last edited:
Weight, CST or CPS. I'm always confused on this one. I tried to google it but got more confused o_O

Sticking to the same brand and just try it is the best advice.
BUT my lhs always does not have just that one i need, so now i have 20 bottles over 6 brands of Weight, CST and CPS. I don't like to open that drawer :facepalm:.

That will happen. But if I can get at least 3 consecutive weights in a single brand. That suffices. I also have a bin full of diff. brands. :)
I always try to get a 5 bottle combo pack if I find it online. AE usual has it. They sell out fast And, Oil is not cheap.:LOL:

Last edited:
I like Team oils, really pure, made by Lucus Oil, and they have a really good reputation in the 1:1 racing market, so good enough for the real deal, good enough for me. Plus I have a LHS 25 minutes away that carries the entire line.

AE all the way. Me too.(y) Made by Lucas.(y) AE is in demand. But sometimes they run out of many weights. Its always the weight/CST you are looking for, and goes on backorder for several months. Then back in stock.
I also feel it is cheapest brand of oil price per oz.:) I bet AE/ThunderTiger makes a lot of revenue from their silicone oil alone.

AE all the way. Me too.(y) Made by Lucas.(y) AE is in demand. But sometimes they run out of many weights. Its always the weight/CST you are looking for, and goes on backorder for several months. Then back in stock.
I also feel it is cheapest brand of oil price per oz.:) I bet AE/ThunderTiger makes a lot of revenue from their silicone oil alone.
Not as much as TRX. They way overcharge novice RC people on everything, from oil, to sub-par batteries & chargers. I really wish I had picked the Kraton instead of the Revo that day in the lhs. I'd been so long outa the scene that I didn't realize what was sitting there. I mean I did some YouTube research & this brand Arrma kept popping up, but never heard of them. And, that lhs really didn't carry any Arrma parts, but had a wall of TRX stuff. I bought into the name, and hype, if I would have started with the Kraton, I'd probably would have had 2-3 fully built Arrmas, with a ton of compatible parts. Oh well, getting there now, and will not be looking back. Oh, and I found another lhs just 5 more minutes away that have everything you could possibly afford?. I gotta make a vid of that place, cause it's uber tiny, but stuffed with more good parts that are overflowing all around you. It's like having 8 Hobby Towns worth of stuff shoved into a shop smaller than a Taco Bell!?

The Traxxas business model is such that they make most profit on parts. Traxxas outfits Traxxas shops with all the parts first and foremost. Walk into a Traxxas dominated LHS and all the parts on the shelf will sell that Traxxas RTR, compared to any other Brand in that shop.
Traxxas wants you to break parts. They have it down to a science. But in the end, TRX wants you to feel that excessive amounts of parts replacements are the RC norm. They want you to feel parts MUST break, and we have plenty more for you. They spoon feed you the parts and availability which can be deceiving. You end up locked into the Traxxas method of RC. Afraid to bash at times because from prior experience you know which parts will break again, and again.
Enter Arrma, and you realize that there is no need to replace many simple parts as often. And there is a great parts train for Arrma. You find yourself bashing more and fixing less. Especially as your skills get better. Just my spin.

The Traxxas business model is such that they make most profit on parts. Traxxas outfits Traxxas shops with all the parts first and foremost. Walk into a Traxxas dominated LHS and all the parts on the shelf will sell that Traxxas RTR, compared to any other Brand in that shop.
Traxxas wants you to break parts. They have it down to a science. But in the end, TRX wants you to feel that excessive amounts of parts replacements are the RC norm. They want you to feel parts MUST break, and we have plenty more for you. They spoon feed you the parts and availability which can be deceiving. You end up locked into the Traxxas method of RC. Afraid to bash at times because from prior experience you know which parts will break again, and again.
Enter Arrma, and you realize that there is no need to replace many simple parts as often. And there is a great parts train for Arrma. You find yourself bashing more and fixing less. Especially as your skills get better. Just my spin.
Are we talking about parts, or Heroin? Cause the addition is real! ???

So very true, but looking from a business perspective it's quite smart.
Of course i don't like it but they do survive this way.
For that i can't blame them.
I do blame them for suing other great companies like Arrma for 50 year old designs (Nero) and with that putting hard working peoples jobs at stake , that's what really made me dislike Traxxas.

So very true, but looking from a business perspective it's quite smart.
Of course i don't like it but they do survive this way.
For that i can't blame them.
I do blame them for suing other great companies like Arrma for 50 year old designs (Nero) and with that putting hard working peoples jobs at stake , that's what really made me dislike Traxxas.
Uh oh. I know at least a few people that had an aneurysm at that comment ?

TRX has a great business model. Unfortunately it doesn't play nice with the RC industry or the end user in my opinion. But opinions are like a***s, everyone has one. I know that if they could, they would become a monopoly in the RC industry. I only blame the Corporate Top. Everyone towards the bottom are RC enthusiasts. It's amazing that it only takes massive amounts of money to market a mediocre product and be successful.:LOL: But that is not a new business concept. There are many other successful companies doing just that. Its all good as long as their bottom line is met. Who cares about how good the product really is. Heavy marketing will get a good return on a minimal investment.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back