Shock Oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harriot10

Speed runner with a learner’s permit 🤣
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Granite
  4. Infraction
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton 6s
  7. Kraton EXB
  8. Outcast 6s
  9. Typhon 6s
Just recently purchased some Losi 90wt and 100wt shock oil for my Granite. I was hoping to firm up the shocks a little, truck is bottoming out very easily during skate park bashing. I was running Typhon 6s shocks with 70wt Associated oil. After my rebuild today on the fronts, the shocks felt even softer!?‍♂ I used 90wt Losi for the rebuild. Is one shock oil better than the other? I’m confused, is there something I’m missing.

There is a known inconsistency between different brands of shock and diff oils of supposedly same weight/CST. Losi and TA are known to be inconsistent to each other in that regard.. They are both the most popular IMO. I have about 12 bottles of TA and a few Losi oils. I don't recall which brand tends to be thicker. I believe it is Losi if had to guess. That's why I tend to stick to one brand, and TA is readily available 99% of the time in so many different weights/CST. :cool:

TA is thicker in my case. None of my LHS have anything heavy in stock. I guess I’ll run it this weekend, see what I break and try again!?

Yes it appears thicker to you. I take your word for it. But this can vary as you go up or down in CST. Staying with the same brand is a good practice if possible.
I also find that in Higher ambient temps, the oil thins out, giving less shock pack/slower/faster dampening. Team Associated oil is made by Lucas Oil Co., well known for superior automotive oil. I don't know where all the other brands come from. But comparing a TA 90 weight(1k Cst) to a TLR oil 90 weight, there will be a difference. One could be thicker or thinner than the other. This is well known. Never the same from brand to brand. Always slightly off.
There was testing done and a chart was made by someone online that listed the differences by brand and how they compared to each other by CST and brand. CST is a more accurate representation of oil thickness. Mostly referred to in the the thicker diff oils for some reason. But 90W oil is considered a 1K CST for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
Yes it appears thicker to you. I take your word for it. But this can vary as you go up or down in CST. Staying with the same brand is a good practice if possible.
I also find that in Higher ambient temps, the oil thins out, giving less shock pack/slower dampening. Team Associated oil is made by Lucas Oil Co., well known for superior automotive oil. I don't know where all the other brands come from. But comparing a TA 90 weight(1k Cst) to a TLR oil 90 weight, there will be a difference. One could be thicker or thinner than the other. This is well known. Never the same from brand to brand. Always slightly off.
It’s really hot in MD right now! I guess I’m going to stick with TA, seems to be more reliable!

It just rained here, for past 20 min, although its cooled down now, The streets are all wet and parks all closed at 9pm.... I had a 4S pack ready, but now I'll wait till the morning also.

It just rained here, for past 20 min, although its cooled down now, The streets are all wet and parks all closed at 9pm.... I had a 4S pack ready, but now I'll wait till the morning also.
Poured here as well! I’ll do some tuning Friday after work and get my rigs ready for the weekend! It’s probably going to be fall before arrma gets everything back in stock. Been waiting for the infraction for months.

I have never seen any BMX tracks in NYC. My son asked me also. Skate parks that we have here are much too technical, not many ramps, more for grinding, alot of steps etc., and not really RC friendly for some reason. Unlike some skate parks in Cali and elsewhere with those swimming pool sweeper designs. I met up with @bicketybam once at his BMX track, and that was a treat. The track in his videos. :cool:

Last edited:
I have never seen any BMX tracks in NYC. My son asked me also. Skate parks that we have here are much too technical, not many ramps, more for grinding, alot of steps etc., and not really RC friendly for some reason. Unlike some skate parks in Cali and elsewhere with those swimming pool sweeper designs. I met up with @bicketybam once at his BMX track, and that was a treat. The track in his videos. :cool:
Skate parks are a blast, but you never come home without damage!?
DE1F8C90-A995-4DC9-9070-38513F7EA4B2.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back