Talion Shock stand off M4 mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
So when the shock standoff is off the m3 screw, can I drill the inside of it out to 4mm and tap it? Trying to make these things sturdy.

I was thinking of going m4 with some kind of tubing over it to mount the shocks and ditch the stock standoffs completely...

These aren’t out yet but are a superior design. You might want to wait for these.
9C9963E4-F215-4646-B1C1-7C3852ACA4EF.png

I think from talking with you in the past you have access to a lathe. If you do you can make some really nice stand offs out of 1/4 shcs.
BA98DDFC-CCFE-4104-B99B-959749751845.jpeg

These aren’t out yet but are a superior design. You might want to wait for these.
View attachment 94870
I think from talking with you in the past you have access to a lathe. If you do you can make some really nice stand offs out of 1/4 shcs.
View attachment 94871
I see the design on the exb ones are different than the m2c. But the exb still uses an m3 screw while the m2c uses a m4 screw. Is the web version tougher?

Sadly I don’t have access to a lathe, because of Covid. Only lathes I have access to are the county’s career and tech center for school, and school is cancelled till Jan 28.

The new optional exb ones (don’t actually come with the exb Kraton...) are still 3mm but all one piece. The m2c’s are nice but some guys on here still break them so idk if they are much better.

Sorry schools cancelled, but glad you still have a tech school. My county’s was changed years ago to a center for arts, basically learning drama, interpretive dance and other things that have nothing to do with reality. Hope you can get back to school sooner, hang in there my friend.

The new optional exb ones (don’t actually come with the exb Kraton...) are still 3mm but all one piece. The m2c’s are nice but some guys on here still break them so idk if they are much better.

Sorry schools cancelled, but glad you still have a tech school. My county’s was changed years ago to a center for arts, basically learning drama, interpretive dance and other things that have nothing to do with reality. Hope you can get back to school sooner, hang in there my friend.
Thanks man. I’ll take a look at the stock standoffs to see if it’s thick enough to drill out to 4mm.

So for one of my standoffs the stock m3 screw snapped at the head. I replaced it with a m3x30 screw. Idk the exact term for it but I’ll call it a countersink screw, should I countersink the shock tower? I feel like this should be tougher than most.

EF437340-A86A-478B-AA8D-C8A4F05F4D14.jpeg

Can't see the pic.
Why not get a regular button head or... Whatever the thicker heads are called? If you countersink the tower you'll create a weak spot and the hole could deform. I used M3 with 2.5mm heads.

Can't see the pic.
Why not get a regular button head or... Whatever the thicker heads are called? If you countersink the tower you'll create a weak spot and the hole could deform. I used M3 with 2.5mm heads.
I had that m3x30 screw as an extra and it fit for temporary use , that’s why I have it currently. But I’ll definitley get some cap head screws eventually. Also I check to see if the stock shock stand-off was thick enough to drill out to 4mm and tap it and it looks to thin to me. I probably won’t try it.

@Jimbobjr.. has the best standoff's as his are threaded all the way through..!!

Arrma's are hollow backed and I believe that's what causes the problem with theirs, and M2C are two pieces a threaded grub into a machined standoff that is threaded..??

I would guess that @Jimbobjr 's are the toughest of the three..??

Yep use a cap head to replace that as soon as you can. A cap head uses a larger hex than pan or flat head screws.

Don't countersink your tower, weakens it.
Just buy a bunch of 30mm screws, length doesn't really matter. You can probably buy 40 for teh price of an M2C upgrade. By the time you are through that pack your skills will have improved ;)

You can drill out the tower for M4, you can use M4 screws, but the shock standoffs (stock) can't be reworked to M4 unless you have the right tools, never tried it but now thinking about it. It's hardened steel and not that manageable (I think..).

Keep in mind that the bolt snaps at the weakest point. A countersink will not help at all. Those are meant to spread the force across the material supporting it, in order to minimize stress on that surface, but that is not where you have any issues. Of course they will work, the washer will work as well but you have no gain in strength. They will snap in the same spot and you have more loose hardware when it happens. If you have a bunch of them laying around, go for it. If you buy something get the cap head style. Don't get stainless ones either, they have less tensil strength and will snap faster.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back