Shock tuning question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Hello experts! I have a question regarding tuning the Typhon 6s shocks that I run on my Granite and BRCC. Right now I am using the stock weight shock oil. I want to say it's 45. I would like the shocks, specifically the rears, to be less springy. When I land a big jump, many times the rear will donkey kick and send the truck on its lid. I don't have different springs to try so I was wondering it going heavier on the shock oil would help. Thoughts?

Do you mean the chassis is hitting the ground? If that’s the case try thicker fluid. If it’s bouncing and not hitting the chassis the fluid is too thick.

adjust the coil spring all the way up. If that doesn’t help then put lighter shock fluid maybe 30 weight

Maybe I will do a slo-mo and see what exactly is going on. I'm sure the chassis is hitting the ground but that's fine. It hits on ally trucks. It just seems that after compression the shocks return to full extension too quickly and propel the rear of the truck over. Follow? I think lighter fluid would make it worse, no?

I think lighter fluid would make it worse, no?
I agree, ...lighter fluid would mean it is doing less damping and allowing the shock to work using the spring more which would cause a faster return imho. I'd say go heavier fluid.

The Arrma Typhon V3 stock fluid in the shocks is 550CST (around 43wt) ~ if you've already some heavier silicone fluids it is easy enough to chop & change for a bit of experimenting.

I'm using 1000CST (80wt) fluid in my speed runner but that is set up for speed runs on tarmac and uses completely different upgrade springs from Hot Racing as well. See post n#162 in my thread here if you're interested though: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/speed-runner-typhon-6s-uk-built-fast-not-bought-fast.10482/page-9

Set your camera to a high frame rate and check the slow mo when it lands. Could be the shock oil/shock piston combo is too heavy/tight for the lighter truck and it's actually not compressing the shock.

I had that issue on my eJato when I put revo shocks on it. They use the same size shock, but the piston holes in jato shocks were a lot larger, and of course, the springs were far lighter. When watching the video, I'd see the arms actually bow, tires completely smash to the rim and the shocks only compressed half way. Once I drilled out the pistons, then fiddled with a few various oils, I found a good combo that dampened it while still being firm/stiff enough to take up some of the impact on big jumps.

I set my camera at the lower resolution, but highest frame rate so I could really slow it down. Then I put it on my dining room table and dropped the truck from 3-4 feet a bunch of times, then checked out the footage to see what was happening.

My wife thought I lost it... "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT THING IN THE KITCHEN!!!!" lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back