Vorteks Shock upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure thing. 😆
*leer en la portada, por La Granite,

Close?? 😆

I shoulda learned my lesson by now. No talk to text! It acts like I speak some unknown language.
Mine never works either, now imagine what it put in when I was trying to say Blackhawk.

That thread has various options.
Infraction/Limitless/Felony front shocks for the Vorteks front.......and then "other" Arrma 6S front shocks (Kraton, Infraction, talion, Mojave etc) for the Vorteks rear.
(This is the route I have gone but the springs are so stiff, I've swapped them out for TA V2 "Yellows"). See below

A few Youtubers use the Aluminium Big Bore shocks from Ebay on the Vorteks. If you search for the Senton versions, you'll get the right ones. Thats the cheapest upgrade afaics.

Vorteks_widened_ with shocks done_3.jpg

Last edited:
Infraction/Limitless/Felony front shocks for the Vorteks front.......and then "other" Arrma 6S front shocks (Kraton, Infraction, talion, Mojave etc) for the Vorteks rear.
(This is the route I have gone but the springs are so stiff, I've swapped them out for TA V2 "Yellows"). See below

A few Youtubers use the Aluminium Big Bore shocks from Ebay on the Vorteks. If you search for the Senton versions, you'll get the right ones. Thats the cheapest upgrade afaics.

View attachment 171622
Did you need any additional spacers for the eyes on top or bottom other than the ball in the top?

On the front shocks you need an Axial bushing to remove slop when you fit the top of the front shocks into the shock tower. So that uses two - one for each side. I then use a second axial bushing per side to stop the front shocks from rubbing the front drive shafts. So thats another two. And then I use the last two for the tops of the rear shocks. You don't need any bushings to avoid hitting the rear drive shafts.
Im not using any additional spacers or shims and am happy with the fit.

Last edited:
On the front shocks you need an Axial bushing to remove slop when you fit the top of the front shocks into the shock tower. So that uses two - one for each side. I then use a second axial bushing per side to stop the front shocka from rubbing the front drive shafts. So thats another two. And then I use the last two for the top of the rear shocks. You don't need any bushings to avoid hitting the rear drive shafts.
like washers?

Common to use Nitro fuel tubing as well.(y) Cheapest option I guess.

View attachment 171622
Hey buddy,

I’ve just decided to dedicate my vorteks over to my eight-year-old stepdaughter. She loves the look but prefers the way my granite drives. I think you maybe found the perfect solution with what you did to yours.

By using typhon Arms you were able to use longer shocks on the front right? Which ones? You did not change the shock towers though correct? Or did you? I know one option is to simply convert it into a Granite by throwing Granite shock towers on it…But I’m more curious in what you’ve done since it also widened the car. I know you’ve outlined what you’ve done but if you wouldn’t mind doing a quick summary fir me I’d appreciate it.

What pinion are you using by the way? My vortex cogs at low speeds even with the 15 tooth pinion I have it now. It seems worst one turning so I’m thinking AVC really sucks a lot of power and it shows When steering while going slow. Maybe best to disconnect it for her driving Since she doesn’t go fast so much all over the place at moderate speed.

Thanks man!

hey Velo

How did the "procedure"go ? Hope you arent too sore inside :)

Quick summary as requested :
1. Widened car using Typhon RPM A-arms and a six piece Typhon Turnbuckle/rod end/pivot ball set from the UK equivalent to Jennys. And that's all you need. For someone experienced like you, its a 30 minute job. Main reaons for doing it - to enable a bigger choice of wheels without having to trim the steering. I know you like the Big Rock Ragnaroks on the Vorteks. I like the Granite Fortress but the Fortress' rub really badly if the steering track isnt widened. Plus im hoping for a little bit better air control and more stable landings.
2. I know youve already changed your rear shocks. I did both my fronts and my rears. Infraction shocks on the fronts and Talion EXB on the back. (but almot any 6S front shocks would have suited the rears). Dripped out the stock 6S oil which is perfect for a 6S car but too dense for a 3S and swapped down to 40wt. May try 45wt or 50wt if long term it proves too bouncy. Also swapped the springs for the the TA V2 yellows we all love - for more stiffness than 3S stock but less stiffness than what came on those 6S shocks
I used the "inner" mounting points on the RPMs in order to give slightly more ground clearance - effectively the same as my Big Rock, figuring the wider track would prevent traction rolls.
3. Didnt change the shock towers as I want to keep the Truggy looks

(Im also using a CRCU motor mount, blx electronics and a 15T for the reasons you know well)

I was hoping to run it at a new-to-me BMX track yesterday while my daughter was having a Break-dancing class but they were clearly having some kind of race evening and I couldnt get near it. So, disappointed, I zoomed up and down a nearby field on really long grass and did some jumps and took some tumbles.
Its definitely not as "plush" now as stock but the aim is to make it "medium send" friendly and Im fairly confident Ive done that. Im hoping to take it to a place we've christened "Bashmore" on Sunday to really shake it down with the new set up. Its another BMX tack but all grass and dirt, with big run offs.

There's no use pretending otherwise - its now basically a Typhon or Big Rock with a Vorteks shell. Hence my new nickname - "The Vorphon."

Last edited:
hey Velo

How did the "procedure"go ? Hope you arent too sore inside :)

Quick summary as requested :
1. Widened car using Typhon RPM A-arms and a six piece Typhon Turnbuckle/rod end/pivot ball set from the UK equivalent to Jennys. And that's all you need. For someone experienced like you, its a 30 minute job. Main reaons for doing it - to enable a bigger choice of wheels without having to trim the steering. I know you like the Big Rock Ragnaroks on the Vorteks. I like the Granite Fortress but the Fortress' rub really badly if the steering track isnt widened. Plus im hpoing for a little bit better air control and more stable landings.
2. I know youve already changed your rear shocks. I did both my fronts and my rears. Infraction shocks on the fronts and Talion EXB on the back. Dripped out the stock 6S oil which is perfect for a 6S car but too dense for a 3S and swapped down to 40wt. May try 45wt or 50wt if long term it proves too bouncy. Also swapped the springs for the the TA V2 yellows we all love - for more stiffness than 3S stock but less stiffness than what came on those 6S shocks
I used the "inner" mounting points on the RPMs in order to give slightly more ground clearance - effectively the same as my Big Rock
3. Didnt change the shock towers as I want to keep the Truggy looks

(Im also using a CRCU motor mount and blx electronics for the reasons you know well)

I was hoping to run it at a new-to-me BMX track yesterday while my daughter was having a Break-dancing class but they were clearly having some kind of race evening and I couldnt get near it. So, I zoomed up and down a nearby field on really long grass and did some jumps and took some tumbles.
Its definitely not as "plush" now as stock but the aim is to make it "medium send" friendly and Im fairly confident Ive done that. Im hoping to take it to a place we've christened "Bashmore" on Sunday to really shake it down with the new set up.

There's no use pretending otherwise - its basically a typhon or Big Rock with a Vorteks shell. Hence my new nickname - "The Vorphon."
It went very well! The one thing they found wasn’t cancerous so all good. It only hurt to sit down that one evening 🤣

Sweet! I’ve got all the parts needed, I am stateside and love jennys lol. Also got a set of RPM arms that I just ordered. Think I want to put granite tires on it and the big rock tires back on the big rock. She seems to like the MT tire look and drive style.

I want to give it a bit more travel up front and be able to run the extra set of mojave 6s shocks I have. Toying with the idea of putting a granite bulkhead/shock tower upfront…Or maybe just using the outer shock mount for the RPM arms would do it, leaving the existing shock tower.

You kept the short wheel base yes? Definitely update on how your first real bash session goes. I’m super curious. When I bought the vorteks I had no idea why I was buying it. Now that I’ve got my stepdaughter more, I pretty much understand what was in the back of my mind. I was preplanning lol. So now time to make it custom for her. Many thanks!

I think you were preplanning. Its really important to me that its right for my daughter but I also know "me" quite well and I wont be happy til its "done"..........which I really hope it is, now. Its probably not totally altruistic if Im honest. As she gets older she's gonna pull away from her "old" Dad in lots of ways so while she still likes RC bashing, i want "her" car to be one that she looks forward to driving. Im hoping that she'll land her first back flip with it this weekend as she couldnt quite nail it, in its stock form. And that will keep her motivated.

Im not sure if the outer shock mount on the RPMs is gonna be enough to facilitate using the Mojave fronts. Look forward to hearing.

I think you were preplanning. Its really important to me that its right for my daughter but I also know "me" quite well and I wont be happy til its "done"..........which I really hope it is, now. Its probably not totally altruistic if Im honest. As she gets older she's gonna pull away from her "old" Dad in lots of ways so while she still likes RC bashing, i want "her" car to be one that she looks forward to driving. Im hoping that she'll land her first back flip with it this weekend as she couldnt quite nail it, in its stock form. And that will keep her motivated.

Im not sure if the outer shock mount on the RPMs is gonna be enough to facilitate using the Mojave fronts. Look forward to hearing.
Yeah, that’s why I’m thinking a granite shock tower. I have one laying around actually.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back