Vorteks Shock upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you were preplanning. Its really important to me that its right for my daughter but I also know "me" quite well and I wont be happy til its "done"..........which I really hope it is, now. Its probably not totally altruistic if Im honest. As she gets older she's gonna pull away from her "old" Dad in lots of ways so while she still likes RC bashing, i want "her" car to be one that she looks forward to driving. Im hoping that she'll land her first back flip with it this weekend as she couldnt quite nail it, in its stock form. And that will keep her motivated.

Im not sure if the outer shock mount on the RPMs is gonna be enough to facilitate using the Mojave fronts. Look forward to hearing.
They may pull away in some ways sir. But the growth,that I hope good parents should get, will trifold those memories into some even more fulfilling.
Yeah, that’s why I’m thinking a granite shock tower. I have one laying around actually.
@Velodromed.....glad to see u around. And dammnif u didnt save the day with the rear yoke. I'll get pics to ya when I can for sure. Truck runs better than new now.

@StephenShandelmayer thsnk you also sir. I have a set of katars imma throw on Betty and she how she dances!

Or just use 4mm plastic tubing to make the spacers. Cheap, looks bad but works just as well. (Cheap!!!)
Or spacers that come in Traxxas 1937.

They may pull away in some ways sir. But the growth,that I hope good parents should get, will trifold those memories into some even more fulfilling.
@Velodromed.....glad to see u around. And dammnif u didnt save the day with the rear yoke. I'll get pics to ya when I can for sure. Truck runs better than new now.

@StephenShandelmayer thsnk you also sir. I have a set of katars imma throw on Betty and she how she dances!
So it worked?? The rear yoke? That’s great if it did 😁

So it worked?? The rear yoke? That’s great if it did 😁
Hehehe....i didnt take pics. But remember what the slipper Assembly looked like? I'll attach a pic. Couldn't find the assembly together but I will. When comparing yours to mine......mine appeared to been hit with a hammer or hot heat gun. Then a 3yrold tried to straighten it.

** telling you what this truck was owned before I got it. The holes for the body mounts look like they were double punched to add a little more room. I'm a super Noob and I know very little about this Hobby but I also now have watched enough people with stock out of the box truck. Who have wrecked a million times harder then I ever thought about. the one or two decent impacts aren't 💩. Compared.
Can't prove it. And most will just say "oh he just doesn't know better." But i know wear and tare esp on my truck. I look the damn thing over every day. 😆. I love it. Love/Hate thing we got going but its nvr boring. and I haven't ran it over with a Dozer yet. Its a win! 😆

Yes it def helped if not fixed. Truck runs better than when new to me. Which after all the work it should!🤣

20210904_010634.jpg

20210904_010541.jpg

hey Velo

How did the "procedure"go ? Hope you arent too sore inside :)

Quick summary as requested :
1. Widened car using Typhon RPM A-arms and a six piece Typhon Turnbuckle/rod end/pivot ball set from the UK equivalent to Jennys. And that's all you need. For someone experienced like you, its a 30 minute job. Main reaons for doing it - to enable a bigger choice of wheels without having to trim the steering. I know you like the Big Rock Ragnaroks on the Vorteks. I like the Granite Fortress but the Fortress' rub really badly if the steering track isnt widened. Plus im hoping for a little bit better air control and more stable landings.
2. I know youve already changed your rear shocks. I did both my fronts and my rears. Infraction shocks on the fronts and Talion EXB on the back. (but almot any 6S front shocks would have suited the rears). Dripped out the stock 6S oil which is perfect for a 6S car but too dense for a 3S and swapped down to 40wt. May try 45wt or 50wt if long term it proves too bouncy. Also swapped the springs for the the TA V2 yellows we all love - for more stiffness than 3S stock but less stiffness than what came on those 6S shocks
I used the "inner" mounting points on the RPMs in order to give slightly more ground clearance - effectively the same as my Big Rock, figuring the wider track would prevent traction rolls.
3. Didnt change the shock towers as I want to keep the Truggy looks

(Im also using a CRCU motor mount, blx electronics and a 15T for the reasons you know well)

I was hoping to run it at a new-to-me BMX track yesterday while my daughter was having a Break-dancing class but they were clearly having some kind of race evening and I couldnt get near it. So, disappointed, I zoomed up and down a nearby field on really long grass and did some jumps and took some tumbles.
Its definitely not as "plush" now as stock but the aim is to make it "medium send" friendly and Im fairly confident Ive done that. Im hoping to take it to a place we've christened "Bashmore" on Sunday to really shake it down with the new set up. Its another BMX tack but all grass and dirt, with big run offs.

There's no use pretending otherwise - its now basically a Typhon or Big Rock with a Vorteks shell. Hence my new nickname - "The Vorphon."
I know this is an old post but I’m just now trying to upgrade the shocks on my vorteks; I bought the Arrma Felony 6s front shocks ( ARA7617V2 ) and the Arrma Talion 6s EXB Rear shocks ( ARA8707 ) I did install the front Arrma Felony and it sits super low and feels super stiff I don’t know if I am doing something wrong or what.

I haven’t installed the rear Arrma Talion yet it just seems like they are way bigger than the stock ones.

I forgot to mention that I did install the front and back Thypon rpm A arms

94D460B9-8B6E-4E39-A7C7-DA6B5CB50832.jpeg

9996F150-2F67-4BCA-9142-0FBF43EB97B3.jpeg

I know this is an old post but I’m just now trying to upgrade the shocks on my vorteks; I bought the Arrma Felony 6s front shocks ( ARA7617V2 ) and the Arrma Talion 6s EXB Rear shocks ( ARA8707 ) I did install the front Arrma Felony and it sits super low and feels super stiff I don’t know if I am doing something wrong or what.

I haven’t installed the rear Arrma Talion yet it just seems like they are way bigger than the stock ones.

I forgot to mention that I did install the front and back Thypon rpm A arms

View attachment 194796

View attachment 194797

Why did you buy Felony fronts and Talion rears? You have that backwards, it was supposed to be Felony rears and Talion fronts. The springs that come on the Felony shocks are too stiff and you will need to find a spring that fits and the Talion springs are too stiff you will want these springs instead ARA330637

Or just use 4mm plastic tubing to make the spacers. Cheap, looks bad but works just as well. (Cheap!!!)
The Axial bushings are not particularly expensive, and they work perfectly. They not only fill in the gap around the screw but also on either side of the shock top. With tubing you'll have to shim the shocks to prevent them from moving back and forth in the shock tower. The cushion the Axial bushings provide may help durability as well. Finally, they last forever, I've only had to replace one after 2 years.
https://www.amazon.com/Axial-AXA1356-Silicone-Shock-Bushing/dp/B0051W7R1M?&tag=arrma-20

Last edited:
Why did you buy Felony fronts and Talion rears? You have that backwards, it was supposed to be Felony rears and Talion fronts. The springs that come on the Felony shocks are too stiff and you will need to find a spring that fits and the Talion springs are too stiff you will want these springs instead ARA330637
So should I go ahead and order the Felony rears and Talion front or is there a better options?

I think I see where youve gone wrong

"Infraction/Limitless/Felony FRONT shocks for the Vorteks front.......and then "other" Arrma 6S FRONTshocks (Kraton, Infraction, talion, Mojave etc) for the Vorteks rear.
(This is the route I have gone but the springs are so stiff, I've swapped them out for TA V2 "Yellows")."

As per photo this gives me plenty of ground clearance for big jumps. Edward (6) when I wasnt looking, nailed ours over a big grassy hump yesterday afternoon and launched it 25 feet with a double backflip. I turned round to see it happen. My heart was in my mouth and I was sure it was a "truck killer" but tthe car landed on its wheels and didnt bounce with this suspension set up. I was super impressed. I may end up keeping him afterall.

IMG_4276.JPG

Last edited:
I think I see where youve gone wrong

"Infraction/Limitless/Felony FRONT shocks for the Vorteks front.......and then "other" Arrma 6S FRONTshocks (Kraton, Infraction, talion, Mojave etc) for the Vorteks rear.
(This is the route I have gone but the springs are so stiff, I've swapped them out for TA V2 "Yellows")."

As per photo this gives me plenty of ground clearance for big jumps. Edward (6) when I wasnt looking, nailed ours over a big grassy hump yesterday afternoon and launched it 25 feet with a double backflip. I turned round to see it happen. My heart was in my mouth and I was sure it was a "truck killer" but tthe car landed on its wheels and didnt bounce with this suspension set up. I was super impressed. I may end up keeping him afterall.

View attachment 194937
I bought the front shocks for the Felony for the front of my vorteks but it sit lox and feels super stiff and the rear shocks of the Arrma Talion for the back but I believe they are way to big ( don’t get me wrong I really like how they look but I don’t know how good the will work)

C2A7DCE0-CC7D-4872-8334-0E6339BA2FDD.jpeg

5154663A-71E9-483A-8091-A56C3036C746.jpeg

F54AD90E-F464-4FB5-913C-89203F1C7AC1.jpeg

21BB3F9E-EF0A-4D86-B779-5349DD3134BE.jpeg

I bought the front shocks for the Felony for the front of my vorteks but it sit lox and feels super stiff and the rear shocks of the Arrma Talion for the back but I believe they are way to big ( don’t get me wrong I really like how they look but I don’t know how good the will work)

View attachment 194947

View attachment 194948

View attachment 194949

View attachment 194950
I know we're discussing this on Facebook too but good to see you on this forum. also like how it looks at the back so if you can live with that, keep them. At the front Im using the outer holes and I notice you are using the inner ones. How does it look at the front if you move them ? Also, note Im using NO pretensioning at all at the front.....probably because Im using different springs.

Last edited:
I know we're discussing this on Facebook too but good to see you on this forum. also like how it looks at the back so if you can live with that, keep them. At the front Im using the outer holes and I notice you are using the inner ones. How does it look with that. Also, Im using NO pretensioning at all.
I was just now about to mention it; you have to be the same person!!.
So I guess we have the exact same part; The Felony front shocks but for some reason they don’t look the same installed. Your front doesn’t bend down at all like mine does when I put them on

The Felony front shocks but for some reason they don’t look the same installed. Your front doesn’t bend down at all like mine does when I put them on
Because you bought the wrong shocks. You have to get the Felony REAR shocks and put them in the FRONT of the Vorteks. Then get the Talion FRONT shocks and put them in the REAR of the Vorteks. The front shocks you bought are too short. The rear shocks you bought are too long. That's why it bends down like that. You can't make the shocks you bought work. Return them and get the right size shocks.

At the front Im using the outer holes and I notice you are using the inner ones. How does it look at the front if you move them ? Also, note Im using NO pretensioning at all at the front.....probably because Im using different springs.
He bought the wrong size shocks. The lengths are way off. Which holes, pretension, springs won't make a difference.

Last edited:
Because you bought the wrong shocks. You have to get the Felony REAR shocks and put them in the FRONT of the Vorteks. Then get the Talion FRONT shocks and put them in the REAR of the Vorteks. The front shocks you bought are too short. The rear shocks you bought are too long. That's why it bends down like that. You can't make the shocks you bought work. Return them and get the right size shocks.

He bought the wrong size shocks. The lengths are way off. Which holes, pretension, springs won't make a difference.
He's got it all sorted now and the right shocks on order. I sent him pics and part numbers for what I have on mine and as you say, its Infraction/Felony/Limitless rears on the front and "other" 6S front shocks (in my case talion exb) on the rear. The only other thing which Im fairly sure the forum sticky doesn't mention is that the infraction/limitless/felony rear don't have a spring that runs the full length of the shock shaft and the springs are super stiff. I swapped out all four springs for the TA V2 yellows I run on the Big Rock and its just as good on the Vorteks as it is on the BR.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back