Shock upgrades!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepaw18

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
I have a Vorteks and now have a broken shock. Will the shocks off a Big Rock work on the Vorteks or are they too long. Just curious as I'm going to put them on to see the difference. But most of the upgrades lean more to The Big Rock shock upgrade. Be nice as I'm still new to the hobby. Any help is much appreciated!!

I would stay with the stockers. They are inexpensive to replace. Driver error gets the best of them and other parts. As you get better skills, you will break less. If considering other shocks, look to the Arrma 6s line of shocks. They are very durable. I never break them on my 6s rigs. I wouldn't change the shock stroke or length of the Vorteks shock drastically., when upgrading them. Try to stay very close to the stock shock dimensions. Otherwise you will alter the suspension Geometry too much. Creating other issues. Vorteks is unique how its set up. Low and fast. Keep it that way.
Upgrading every single part that breaks is not the best way to approach your new RC rig. At least in the begnning.
My spin.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. So I should not run the big rock shocks I have on it. They are definitely longer. Will I be able to find 6s shocks close to the legion the Vorteks shocks.

Yes you can source them. First confirm the Stocker Vorteks extended shock length and look to all the 6s shocks out there. There was a list above on an earlier post. Look to Jennys RC for these 6s shocks. Many here on AF do this common upgrade. I would look into the 6s Mojave FRONT shocks or the Typhon 6s shocks. They seem like they would be close in size to the Vorteks Stockers. Are worth the extra coin. Stay away from EBay. AMZ cheapo shocks. Also stay away from the $ProLine$ shocks. Been there. NG. But it's your wallet.

Thanks for the advice. So I should not run the big rock shocks I have on it. They are definitely longer. Will I be able to find 6s shocks close to the legion the Vorteks shocks.
You could do as I did on too long shocks, put a little piece of tubing inside the shock, behind the piston. Then it won't have so much travel. I needed about 3mm in the front when I upgraded the Granite to 6s shocks.
IMG_20230109_203850.jpg

Yes you can source them. First confirm the Stocker Vorteks extended shock length and look to all the 6s shocks out there. There was a list above on an earlier post. Look to Jennys RC for these 6s shocks. Many here on AF do this common upgrade. I would look into the 6s Mojave FRONT shocks or the Typhon 6s shocks. They seem like they would be close in size to the Vorteks Stockers. Are worth the extra coin. Stay away from EBay. AMZ cheapo shocks. Also stay away from the $ProLine$ shocks. Been there. NG. But it's your wallet.
So 6s Mojave front and Typhon 6s on the rear

Don't quote me. Much of this, YOU must confrm your shock's dimensions. Don't assume this is all Plug and Play. Once done correct, the 6s shocks are flawless and very durable.
I don't own any 4x4 rigs here. Let others who have done this guide you.
Need to know much about a shocks, compression, extension, shock pack, shock limiters, and Droop. May even need to dial in the shock oil, sometimes the springs also. Depends how you like to drive. Big air and all. You will need to change out the top shock bushing with most any 6s shock to fit to the 4x4 shock towers. Commonly and easily done.

Last edited:
Don't quote me. Much of this, YOU must confrm your shock's dimensions. Don't assume this is all Plug and Play. Once done correct, the 6s shocks are flawless and very durable.
Need to know much about shocks, compression, extension, shock pack, shock limiters, and Droop. May even need to dial in the shock oil, sometimes the springs also. Depends how you like to drive. Big air and all. You will need to change out the top shock bushing with most any 6s shock to fit to the 4x4 shock towers. Commonly and easily done.
Appreciate that! I do understand that as well.

• Stock front shocks for the Vorteks are 87mm eye to eye.
  • Stock rear shocks for the Vorteks are 109mm eye to eye.
These are the only shocks that I have found so far that are the closest to the same dimensions as the stock shocks.

Hot Racing Shocks.
These are close as well.

Traxxas GTR Shocks.

Get VG Racing springs. https://www.vgracing.com/product/GTR_Springs.html

Proline PowerStroke shocks for the Slash.

As far as 6s shocks go there isn't really an option for the front of the Vorteks.

The Limitless/Infraction/Felony shocks are about the correct length for the front but the springs are way too stiff and I have not been able to find a spring that has the correct spring rate.

Arrma Mojave 6s shocks.
These shocks will only work on the rear of the Vorteks.

You will want springs pn ARA330637 these are the closest Arrma springs to the stock Vorteks spring in stiffness, they are slightly stiffer, 1.13N/mm (6.5lb/in) vs 1.06N/mm (6.05lbf/in) for the stock Vorteks rear springs, the springs are the same length 70mm.

Armma Talion 6s shocks.
These shocks will only work in the rear of the Vorteks.

You will want springs pn ARA330637 these are the closest Arrma springs to the stock Vorteks spring in stiffness, they are slightly stiffer, 1.13N/mm (6.5lb/in) vs 1.06N/mm (6.05lbf/in) for the stock Vorteks rear springs, the springs are the same length 70mm.
Need to know much about a shocks, compression, extension, shock pack, shock limiters, and Droop. May even need to dial in the shock oil, sometimes the springs also. Depends how you like to drive. Big air and all. You will need to change out the top shock bushing with most any 6s shock to fit to the 4x4 shock towers. Commonly and easily done.
Axial shock bushings are a perfect fit https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-...gMzDhvRRbPAbZqGowG5Bu_vD9VBosWkxoCNNQQAvD_BwE

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back