Granite Shocks replacement upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t run teknos I want to tho because rich duperbash on YouTube does and his granite lands smooth as butter
I'm pretty new to RC, so i don't really understand that point, but can someone please explain why different shocks can affect the smoothness of the landings?
If they are in the correct length, they all should be the same no? stock or tekno or whatever. Please note i'm not talking about the durability or other effects.. just as long as the shocks are in a working order and setup with the correct oil thickness, they should not have any difference between them i believe.

I think any difference Rich saw was due to the tires mainly, and also a different weight oil.

I'm pretty new to RC, so i don't really understand that point, but can someone please explain why different shocks can affect the smoothness of the landings?
If they are in the correct length, they all should be the same no? stock or tekno or whatever. Please note i'm not talking about the durability or other effects.. just as long as the shocks are in a working order and setup with the correct oil thickness, they should not have any difference between them i believe.

I think any difference Rich saw was due to the tires mainly, and also a different weight oil.
Tires were only marginally different... He drops the car from 4 feet onto the floor and you can watch the shocks squat and rebound... Very smooth. The difference in the shocks is the internal baffles, the machining process, the very materials they are made out of effects the ride qualities... If one shock wasn't any better than another, then there would be but one shock company.

Tires were only marginally different... He drops the car from 4 feet onto the floor and you can watch the shocks squat and rebound... Very smooth. The difference in the shocks is the internal baffles, the machining process, the very materials they are made out of effects the ride qualities... If one shock wasn't any better than another, then there would be but one shock company.
Exactly what I was thinking I really love his granite setup like he has it !! I might spend the money to get those teknos sooner or later

Dang alright I’m really want some tekno eb48.4s
The Typhon shocks should be just fine
Yup this.

I bought Tekno shocks for my OG Outcast before the V3 cars came out. And I can tell you from personal experience that the Tekno shocks are better than the V2 shocks. Even with the same springs and oil the Teknos are of better quality and are much smoother than the Arrmas.
Now the question that you have to ask yourself is are they really worth $100($120+ if you go full option shocks)? You can get 5-6 sets of the cheap Chinese ones or 2 sets of the Arrma Typhon 6s shocks for the same price. For bashing you will never notice the difference.

What’s a compatible shock set fro the granite 4x4. Can’t get the shock shafts or anything from anyone. I broke 2shock shafts and can’t find replacement parts. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks guys. I’d like to get a set of upgraded shocks from any supplier.

I might need an upgrade soon also.. Just did that today ?

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_134745.jpg
    IMG_20181229_134745.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20181229_141622.jpg
    IMG_20181229_141622.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 79
This is a rear shock from my Typhon 3s. The only action it has seen was a drop test, pushing on the car by hand, & a few quick rips on the patio. It's been sitting for the last 3 days I noticed the leaking yesterday. It was not leaking out of the box. I'm just going to do it a favor & throw on a HSP set. I might do that for my Granite blx too even though they haven't been a problem yet.

1229182347a (Copy).jpg
1229182349 (Copy).jpg

This is a rear shock from my Typhon 3s. The only action it has seen was a drop test, pushing on the car by hand, & a few quick rips on the patio. It's been sitting for the last 3 days I noticed the leaking yesterday. It was not leaking out of the box. I'm just going to do it a favor & throw on a HSP set. I might do that for my Granite blx too even though they haven't been a problem yet.

View attachment 26231View attachment 26232
Might as well I don’t want plastic leaky stuff on my car lol

UPDATE:
I had been looking for a set of upgraded shocks for my Granite 3s BLX, I found a set of shocks on Amazon, I ordered them 110mm for the front and 130mm for the rear. (links are below)

I got these new shocks, they are pretty nice, aluminum shock caps, they have covers over the shock shaft to. The only issue is they are about an INCH to long on front and back, will that hurt anything? I can compress the shock slightly to mount it up and the only thing you need to do is take the stock spacers out of the old shocks and put in the top on these, the bottoms mount up as they come.

Here is the link: One link has both sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN7PHL7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPDATE:
I had been looking for a set of upgraded shocks for my Granite 3s BLX, I found a set of shocks on Amazon, I ordered them 110mm for the front and 130mm for the rear. (links are below)

I got these new shocks, they are pretty nice, aluminum shock caps, they have covers over the shock shaft to. The only issue is they are about an INCH to long on front and back, will that hurt anything? I can compress the shock slightly to mount it up and the only thing you need to do is take the stock spacers out of the old shocks and put in the top on these, the bottoms mount up as they come.

Here is the link: One link has both sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN7PHL7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can make the shocks shorter by using nitro fuel line cut to lenght below the shock piston inside the shock. I would give that a try.

Wouldnt it be easier just to open the shock, refill a little bit of oil, reset the o-ring and close it good again?
It's not the o-ring, the cap is stripped. It's also much more logical & easier to replace faulty parts than to take the time to repair parts with inherently bad designs. Especially if the replacement parts are better quality & cost effective.

It's not the o-ring, the cap is stripped. It's also much more logical & easier to replace faulty parts than to take the time to repair parts with inherently bad designs. Especially if the replacement parts are better quality & cost effective.

Will it hurt anything if replacement shocks are about an inch longer than stock? The ones I got are pretty much the same diameter and their pretty beefy to. They are a direct fit except for the top mount is not as thick as stock but the stock spacers fit in the holes of the new shock.

20181231_201525.jpg

Will it hurt anything if replacement shocks are about an inch longer than stock? The ones I got are pretty much the same diameter and their pretty beefy to. They are a direct fit except for the top mount is not as thick as stock but the stock spacers fit in the holes of the new shock.

View attachment 26321
The 1st set of shocks I had on the truck was about an inch longer as well. My only problem was that the springs were on the stiff side but the truck still bottomed out. You will have to pay more attention to your ride to make sure it jumps & lands correctly but from the way they look, you shouldn't have a problem.

The 1st set of shocks I had on the truck was about an inch longer as well. My only problem was that the springs were on the stiff side but the truck still bottomed out. You will have to pay more attention to your ride to make sure it jumps & lands correctly but from the way they look, you shouldn't have a problem.

Scratch that idea...Those shocks are do not have enough travel between the bottom of the body and the a-arm. I installed them and they bottom out BAD. When I first put them on it looked ok but you can actually hear the bottom of the shock body banging on the base of the shock at the a-arm.

It sucks when you don't have a hobby shop nearby that you can go and look through to find a right fit. Tires are easy most of the time.

The new shocks didnt work right either. Putting them on it seemed ok till I ran it. They bottomed out every bump I could hear the end of the shock smacking against the shock body, there just wasnt enough travel space. If the body itself wasnt so long it might have worked out.

I've got to find a set of V3 Typhon shocks, every place I have looked is out of stock. Thats what I've been told to get to replace the Granite 3s BLX ones from the beginning. And when I swapped out those shocks tonight I noticed another stock shock is leaking, so 3 out of 4 leak and 2 have already been rebuilt. I hate not having a hobby shop close anymore.

Personally I'd get a set of TLR shocks if I wanted to replace mine. Best 1/10 scale shocks IMO and reasonably priced on eBay for arguably the smoothest shocks out there. I'll do that one day when I'm bored and figure out the right shocks to get.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back