Granite Shocks replacement upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Curvin I apologize if I came across like a peepee last night. It wasn’t my intent. Your experiences and posts have been most helpful and I enjoy reading them.

Mate, no need to apologize, its all good. I didn't take your comments in a negative way at all.

Like wise reading your experiences and you have been very helpful as well.

We tend to forget the 4x4 Granite and Senton , despite sharing a lot of components have very different dynamics , the HSP shocks for example have worked well in standard lengths/springs on the Granite, whereas they require some work on the Senton.

We are all here to help each other out and learn as much as we can, keep on keeping on.

Mate, no need to apologize, its all good. I didn't take your comments in a negative way at all.

Like wise reading your experiences and you have been very helpful as well.

We tend to forget the 4x4 Granite and Senton , despite sharing a lot of components have very different dynamics , the HSP shocks for example have worked well in standard lengths/springs on the Granite, whereas they require some work on the Senton.

We are all here to help each other out and learn as much as we can, keep on keeping on.

And I keep forgetting who owns what, lol :D

Yeh, its doesn't help when the only available tag is 4x4 Mega , and if I also added Senton, some would think the Senton 6S, which then brings up all the debates about name cross pollination..., yada, yada.... :rolleyes:, I digress

I can sympathize completely, I went through all of the above and more. You can read my adventure in my other thread but to cut a long story short , Servo, Shocks, Engine were gone in very quick succession , replaced with a metal geared servo, HSP aluminum shocks ( as noted in this thread ) and a brushless ESC/Motor combo, just to get it to last more than a 15 minute outing. For the shocks I went though various combinations of oil, springs, but in the end the HSP's with length adjusted via internal spaces , using standard springs have proven the best.

I went with a budget GoolRC 3900KV brushless system, proving to be O.K , but did strip the spur gear running 2S, wouldn't even attempt it on 3S.

i have the supposedly better servo saver on the truck and I am still constantly needing to retrim steering, its doing my head in as well.

Thanks for your reply. It helps to know that am not the only one experiencing this. I have a new servo and servo saver installed - now it is on to new front shocks, a ESC/Motor, and then maybe a new radio/transmitter with a feature like Traxxas TSM to help with the steering trim issue.

I really do understand that this hobby entails fixes, upgrades, replacements, and jimmy rigging solutions... and i do enjoy that aspect. I guess the reason I'm frustrated with this truck is because I "THOUGHT" I did enough research with reviews to believe that this was a great vehicle for a child with easy maintenance and durability in its STOCK form. I bought this for my 7 year old son to drive, in hopes that it would be an easy/reliable truck. I just wish I found out about these issues before I bought it. After doing these essential upgrades/fixes it pushes the price close to the $500 mark just to make it functional. If i knew this, I would have been looking into an outcast to run on 2s for him.

Last edited:
I guess the reason I'm frustrated with this truck is because I "THOUGHT" I did enough research with reviews to believe that this was a great vehicle for a child with easy maintenance and durability in its STOCK form. I bought this for my 7 year old son to drive, in hopes that it would be an easy/reliable truck. I just wish I found out about these issues before I bought it. After doing these essential upgrades/fixes it pushes the price close to the $500 mark just to make it reliable functional. If i know this, I would have been looking into an outcast to run on 2s for him.

Yes to all of the above, if you haven't read my thread yet, have a browse across. There are a few contributing on the thread that have helped on the journey , turned into a build thread pretty much. Not as extreme as some of the others but some good tips in there.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...o-brushless-and-beyond.7006/page-6#post-75490

Your experience and frustration is near identical to mine, being new to RC's, I did my research ( or I thought I did ) only to discover that at $400.00AU purchase price , the truck was simply clickbait for upgrades as it consistently broke basic components in stock form over its first 2 hours of run time. I was close to cutting my losses and dumping it. Too much time and money invested now , plus the boy loves it in its modded form. But of course now its sidelined again waiting for a spur gear , with no ETA in sight for the part. Thats another chapter.

Where were we, oh yeh, HSP shocks :)

Last edited:
These might be good for Granite front shocks. It says they are 100mm hole center to center. The good news would be that there are 4 of them and they are only $10.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-x100MM-Front-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Damper-108004-Upgrade-For-1-10-RC-HSP-Car/142719832567?var=441713340217&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20180306143914&meid=071663a619ec41de8c7db9e78cad7a8b&pid=100935&rk=8&rkt=12&sd=173414879907&itm=441713340217&_trksid=p2056116.c100935.m2460

I did just buy the HSP shocks linked from post #3 to replace all four shocks. I will update my experience with them next week after they arrive. I also have a Tbone front bumper coming too. Hopefully this will be the end of the front shocks issue. Then... on to one of the next issues - ESC over heat, or steering slop.:joyful:

Last edited:
@Povell42 ,

The shocks you linked to are 100mm total length, not hole center to hole center , they will be too short for the Granite/Senton.

Trust me, I have explored alternate shocks for months , the only others close to the correct length for the front I found were Big Bore Slash shocks at 102mm, problem being the spring diameter was to large, so I ended up not using them ( on the Senton )

After all of the to and fro, I ended up back with the HSP's. They work fine with the standard ARRMA Spings, grab some fresh oil and locate some M4 nylon spacers to adjust length. Refer Post #65

I also went with the hsp too should be here by sep 17th

I also have a Tbone front bumper coming too.

I just received the T-Bone front and rear bumper. The fit on the rear bumper was unacceptable and I have emailed them. The front was ok but be warned that if you have to access your diffs, you will now need to remove the bumper.

On the Senton, all I did is reinforce the stock bumper mount with a metal strip. I'm working on a different reinforcing for the Granite, but same concept. Have never broken the Senton bumper mount.

So, today I just received the HSP shocks for my Granite. Was it the consensus to add nylon shims inside to match the shock lengths, and use stock springs? This is for the Granite

@larrys4227 ,

Adjusting length/ride height with the nylon shims would be more a necessity on the Senton, IMO, due to needing to maintain the lower center of gravity.

They might be O.K on the Granite, give them a run up at stock height and see how you go. I few have them on the Granites at the stock lengths.

Same with the springs, give them a run up on the Granite first, might be O.K.

Just swapped in the shocks from my Typhon. The stock fronts are 100mm eye to eye. The Typhon fronts are 104mm. The stock rears are 114mm. The Typhon rears are 116. So pretty close but not exact.

20180925_104303.jpg
20180925_104325.jpg
20180925_104241.jpg

New here I got a senton 4x4 mega broke 2 front shocks that I already replace with the HSP they look great a little higher than stocks but is ok price is good $16 all 4 let see if those last longer than the stocks is all I want

Attachments

• 20180926_202619.jpg
    20180926_202619.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 57
New here I got a senton 4x4 mega broke 2 front shocks that I already replace with the HSP they look great a little higher than stocks but is ok price is good $16 all 4 let see if those last longer than the stocks is all I want

How did they break?

Hit a pole a full throttle

I sort of figured something like that. People like to rag on the plastic shocks but I land massive jumps on them and they have held up. Slam into a pole with your HSP's and you will most likely be in the same boat.

I sort of figured something like that. People like to rag on the plastic shocks but I land massive jumps on them and they have held up. Slam into a pole with your HSP's and you will most likely be in the same boat.
Yeah you right I learn the hard way hehe but I'm having tons of fun with the senton

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back